Maarten Dammers | 21 Apr 14:50 2012
Picon

Pywikipedia at the Berlin_Hackathon_2012

Hi everyone,

Insix weeks (1-3 June 2012) it's time again for the annual Berlin
Hackathon [1]. It would be nice to also work on Pywikipedia there. The
following people who are active in Pywikipedia are attending the Hackathon:
* Merlijn van Deen (valhallasw)
* Siebrand Mazeland (siebrand)
* Maarten Dammers (multichill)
* Bináris ?
* xqt ?
* You?

It would be nice if more Pywikipedia developers or people who want to
become Pywikipedia developers would come to the hackathon.

There are only 10 or so places left, so if you'd like to come, please
register soon. Some financial subsidy is available- If you need to
request financial assistance or help with visa or hotel, then please
register by May 1st and mention it in the registration form.

Registration form: https://wmberlin.eventbrite.com/

Maarten en Merlijn
(your friendly list admins)

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Berlin_Hackathon_2012
Lewis Cawte | 21 Apr 15:40 2012

Re: Pywikipedia at the Berlin_Hackathon_2012

On 21/04/2012 13:50, Maarten Dammers wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Insix weeks (1-3 June 2012) it's time again for the annual Berlin
> Hackathon [1]. It would be nice to also work on Pywikipedia there. The
> following people who are active in Pywikipedia are attending the
> Hackathon:
> * Merlijn van Deen (valhallasw)
> * Siebrand Mazeland (siebrand)
> * Maarten Dammers (multichill)
> * Bináris ?
> * xqt ?
> * You?

I'm guessing you took this list from the attending section of the page?
I'm also going to be there, I've just added myself to the list (I
registered a while back)... I guess I count as active? I hang around
places and help people, don't commit that often though..

-- Lewis "Lcawte" Cawte
Tuszynski, Jaroslaw W. | 25 Apr 15:39 2012
Picon

file EXIF cleanup

Does anybody know of any Pywikipedia codes for file EXIF clean-up. I
often help out at
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Bots/Work_requests and over
years there are often requests for mass stripping this or that
incorrect, inflammatory, or otherwise undesirable text from file EXIF
data. Currently there are 2 such requests for help, one to remove essay
starting with "FilmiTadka, the Big Daddy to tame all the bitches and
pompous assess has arrived. ..." from EXIF of several hundred files.

Anybody knows of some code that can do it, or can be adapted to do it?

Jarek
(User:Jarekt)
shi zhao | 25 Apr 17:35 2012
Picon

Re: file EXIF cleanup

see  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Bots/Work_requests#Filmitadka_EXIF

Chinese wikipedia: http://zh.wikipedia.org/
My blog: http://shizhao.org
twitter: https://twitter.com/shizhao

[[zh:User:Shizhao]]

在 2012年4月25日 下午9:39,Tuszynski, Jaroslaw W. <JAROSLAW.W.TUSZYNSKI <at> saic.com>写道:
Does anybody know of any Pywikipedia codes for file EXIF clean-up. I
often help out at
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Bots/Work_requests and over
years there are often requests for mass stripping this or that
incorrect, inflammatory, or otherwise undesirable text from file EXIF
data. Currently there are 2 such requests for help, one to remove essay
starting with "FilmiTadka, the Big Daddy to tame all the bitches and
pompous assess has arrived. ..." from EXIF of several hundred files.

Anybody knows of some code that can do it, or can be adapted to do it?

Jarek
(User:Jarekt)

shi zhao | 25 Apr 17:48 2012
Picon

Re: file EXIF cleanup

Chage image EXIF info, but can't chage EXIF info in image page. Delete/suppress old image still can't. see  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Aanchal_Kumar_posing_with_her_back_at_Tassel_style_lounge_launch.jpg

Chinese wikipedia: http://zh.wikipedia.org/
My blog: http://shizhao.org
twitter: https://twitter.com/shizhao

[[zh:User:Shizhao]]

在 2012年4月25日 下午11:35,shi zhao <shizhao <at> gmail.com>写道:
[...]

Merlijn van Deen | 27 May 22:15 2012
Picon

Re: Pywikipedia at the Berlin_Hackathon_2012

Hello all,

The hackathon is already next week! So this would be a good time to
start thinking about the projects we would like to work on. I have
some proposals:

* How to merge trunk and rewrite? They have co-existed for years now,
and we should really merge them. Can we find a path to either merge
them or to quickly move the missing components from trunk to rewrite?
Given that there are quite a lot of pwb developers coming, I think we
should be able to at least sketch a roadmap for this.

* Interface localisation. This has been a running request for a few
years, and xqt has started some initial work on it. I expect there
will be quite a lot of localisation know-how around.

* Wiki-based configuration. Currently, we have a lot of hacks
throughout the code to change the behaviour for a specific wiki. We
should try and see if we can move to a wiki-based configuration
system, where the behaviour of the bot is controlled by flags on the
wiki itself. This also includes stuff like the text & summaries to
display. The MediaWiki people could be very helpful for this.

* Patch review spree! There is still a backlog, and we can fix that
(and it's much more fun to do together).

Please share your ideas on possible projects!

Best,
Merlijn
Bináris | 27 May 22:33 2012
Picon

2012/5/27 Merlijn van Deen <valhallasw <at> arctus.nl>
Hello all,

The hackathon is already next week! So this would be a good time to
start thinking about the projects we would like to work on.

You could teach me the tests. :-)
And perhaps we could evaluate the Python version review, enough time has gone since the beginning.

--
Bináris
info | 29 May 17:11 2012

Re: Pywikipedia at the Berlin_Hackathon_2012

Hi folks,

thanks Merlijn for your proposals. It sound good and I guess we haven't enough time for all items. Anyway I
have some more topics. Shouldn't we create a to-do-list anywhere?

* What is the future of interwiki.py and when is wikidata released for wikimedia sites. What about
toolserver MMP. Interwiki.py has a big memory leak and uses exhausting memory space; I've seen more than 1
GB for one instance.

* Should we merge featured.py with interwiki.py? When interwikilinks are fixed there could be remaining
Link_FA templates without interwiki links or leading to the wrong place. And featured.py loads each FA
for each mw site for each processed site which could be abbreviated.

* Disable {{nobots}}/{{bots|deny=xx]] for specific bot scripts not for bot accounts (only) (Just
implemented on my working copy)

* move some methods to a library (e.g. add_text, cosmetic_changes) to remove code duplications

* move libraries to the pywikbot subdirectory

* we should have a look to gerrit/git (and keep svn ;)

* The documentation has been partially neglected.

* Are there news about www.pywikipedia.org domain

* new branch 3.0 for python 3.0? Ok lets merge 2.0 first.

* (full) access to config variables through command line.

* reading default options from a config file

* There is a mess with timestamp formats. This must be solved.

* solving redirect loops via redirect.py . I could should show my ideas and my current implementation using
string comparison. How is __STATICREDIRECT__ working with redirect and interwiki.
Or in a more general manner: idea pool / presentation of exisiting scripts or local adaptions. Maybe some of
our local scripts are also fascinating other projects.

* use a basic(.py) bot as an class object for other bots. Implementing a setOptions method and general
methods for reading and saving pages

* botwiki - any comments to that (semi-)official pywikipedia wiki?

* Survey 2012 . any suggestions to the current responses

* Cleanup old stuff:
** version warning - sorry if the bot knows the right version, why does it complain?
** downloading watchlist - for what is that good for
** remove pre-2.4 code, __future__ imports, set implementations and other hack

* others see below

Regards
xqt

> The hackathon is already next week! So this would be a good time to
> start thinking about the projects we would like to work on. I have
> some proposals:
>
> * How to merge trunk and rewrite? They have co-existed for years now,
> and we should really merge them. Can we find a path to either merge
> them or to quickly move the missing components from trunk to rewrite?
> Given that there are quite a lot of pwb developers coming, I think we
> should be able to at least sketch a roadmap for this.

I guess this should be the main point for us. In past I tried to keep both forks on a same level. But I do not
always succed. Some scripts are nearby identical except the import since I fixed the site property. Some
others are very different and have different behaviours.
The rewrite branch uses apisite object based on basesite. This could be an idea to include the old stuff as
e.g. oldsite class to merge them. And I prefer a version which does not has to be installed as package to
enable more than one branch running without having problems with directory access I found in past. Maybe I
am to stupid for that.

> * Interface localisation. This has been a running request for a few
> years, and xqt has started some initial work on it. I expect there
> will be quite a lot of localisation know-how around.

There are some remaining questions: What is the default lang for the logfiles and how to translate error
tracebacks and error/warning/info/debug messages. Do we need message numbers for debug purposes (I
remember there is a feature request with some proposals)

> * Wiki-based configuration. Currently, we have a lot of hacks
> throughout the code to change the behaviour for a specific wiki. We
> should try and see if we can move to a wiki-based configuration
> system, where the behaviour of the bot is controlled by flags on the
> wiki itself. This also includes stuff like the text & summaries to
> display. The MediaWiki people could be very helpful for this.

There as some local config page like MediaWiki:Disambiguationspage and the new
MediaWiki:Interwiki_config-sorting_order (see
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Interwiki_sorting_order). This is a good idea for L10n and we should
delegate more config stuff to local sites. Unfortunately the local config doesn't work well in opposite
to twn. So we need some members with global rights to change the mw messages if needed. Therefore I guess
i18n should keep at twn since it works.

> * Patch review spree! There is still a backlog, and we can fix that
> (and it's much more fun to do together).

The same is valid too for bug and feature request

Bináris | 30 May 02:45 2012
Picon

2012/5/29 <info <at> gno.de>

* we should have a look to gerrit/git (and keep svn ;)
Yes, we should, but according to the annonuncements we may keep SVN only for a while. :-(

* The documentation has been partially neglected.
Partially. :-)

* new branch 3.0 for python 3.0? Ok lets merge 2.0 first.
Yes, yes, yes!!!

* (full) access to config variables through command line.
Useful!
What I would like is an "-asuser" option to change the bot user given in user_config.py. For example, if I work on an article and I make a mass but unique text replacement with the bot for comfort reasons, I would like to do that with my username.

* There is a mess with timestamp formats. This must be solved.
Strong yes!

* Survey 2012 . any suggestions to the current responses
That's a good topic for personal discussion, support.

* Cleanup old stuff:
** version warning - sorry if the bot knows the right version, why does it complain?
Do you mean API version? I asked the same someday. :-)

** downloading watchlist - for what is that good for
** remove pre-2.4 code, __future__ imports, set implementations and other hack
Support both.

I guess this should be the main point for us. In past I tried to keep both forks on a same level. But I do not always succed.
And we all saw your heroic effort to maintain the two branches but this is really not a perspective to do that for all times.

--
Bináris
info | 30 May 09:22 2012

Re: Pywikipedia at the Berlin_Hackathon_2012

> > * (full) access to config variables through command line.
> >
> Useful!
> What I would like is an "-asuser" option to change the bot user given in
> user_config.py. For example, if I work on an article and I make a mass but
> unique text replacement with the bot for comfort reasons, I would like to
> do that with my username.

huch, I thought about this point yesterday. Why wasn't it on my list.

xqt
Russell Blau | 31 May 12:31 2012

Re: Pywikipedia at the Berlin_Hackathon_2012

If you use rewrite, that option already exists (called -user).

Sent from a handheld device.

On May 30, 2012, at 3:22 AM, info <at> gno.de wrote:

> [...]
Bináris | 31 May 16:47 2012
Picon

2012/5/31 Russell Blau <russblau <at> imapmail.org>
If you use rewrite, that option already exists (called -user).
Great! Then we only have to implement it to trunk!

--
Bináris
info | 31 May 17:56 2012

Re: Pywikipedia at the Berlin_Hackathon_2012

> 2012/5/31 Russell Blau <russblau <at> imapmail.org>
>
> > If you use rewrite, that option already exists (called -user).
> >
> Great! Then we only have to implement it to trunk!

Done in r10261.

xqt

cu tomorrow
info | 31 May 12:49 2012
Picon

Re: Pywikipedia at the Berlin_Hackathon_2012

Oh, great! He haven't to invent the wheel twice.

xqt