Ralf Gommers | 14 Apr 10:56 2012

Contributing to SciPy guide

Hi all,

It has been pointed out by a number of people that it's not so easy to get started with contributing to SciPy, and better documentation may help here. So I've written a guide for this. It would be great to get some feedback especially from people who've found it difficult to find this information before. And if you haven't contributed before but were thinking about doing so, perhaps this is a good opportunity to get started!

Pull Request: https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/191
Rendered guide: https://github.com/rgommers/scipy/blob/howto-contribute/doc/HOWTO_CONTRIBUTE.rst.txt

Cheers,
Ralf

Tim Cera | 14 Apr 13:59 2012
Picon

Re: Contributing to SciPy guide

This is a fantastic document. Thanks!  The only thing that occurred to me that was missing was a section on licensing issues.

Kindest regards,
Tim

It has been pointed out by a number of people that it's not so easy to get started with contributing to SciPy, and better documentation may help here. So I've written a guide for this. It would be great to get some feedback especially from people who've found it difficult to find this information before. And if you haven't contributed before but were thinking about doing so, perhaps this is a good opportunity to get started!

Pull Request: https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/191
Rendered guide: https://github.com/rgommers/scipy/blob/howto-contribute/doc/HOWTO_CONTRIBUTE.rst.txt

Cheers,
Ralf

Ralf Gommers | 15 Apr 10:41 2012

Re: Contributing to SciPy guide

This is a fantastic document. Thanks!  The only thing that occurred to me that was missing was a section on licensing issues.

Thanks Tim, that's a very good point. I added some info on licensing issues and a link to http://www.scipy.org/License_Compatibility

Ralf

It has been pointed out by a number of people that it's not so easy to get started with contributing to SciPy, and better documentation may help here. So I've written a guide for this. It would be great to get some feedback especially from people who've found it difficult to find this information before. And if you haven't contributed before but were thinking about doing so, perhaps this is a good opportunity to get started!

Pull Request: https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/191
Rendered guide: https://github.com/rgommers/scipy/blob/howto-contribute/doc/HOWTO_CONTRIBUTE.rst.txt

Cheers,
Ralf

Alexandre Gramfort | 15 Apr 14:28 2012

Re: Contributing to SciPy guide

Dear Ralf,

thanks for this helpful document. What I think is missing is info and
link to pages that explain how to get started with a dev version of
scipy. Many users have a released version and have never compiled it
although they could be contributors. FAQ could be, how to work with a
dev version of scipy while keeping the last release to switch between
both? You can  find such info on the web but it might be worth
centralizing them. If it already exists, please let me know and forget
this message.

my 2c,

Alex

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers <at> googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It has been pointed out by a number of people that it's not so easy to get
> started with contributing to SciPy, and better documentation may help here.
> So I've written a guide for this. It would be great to get some feedback
> especially from people who've found it difficult to find this information
> before. And if you haven't contributed before but were thinking about doing
> so, perhaps this is a good opportunity to get started!
>
> Pull Request: https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/191
> Rendered guide:
> https://github.com/rgommers/scipy/blob/howto-contribute/doc/HOWTO_CONTRIBUTE.rst.txt
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

Andreas H. | 15 Apr 14:34 2012
Picon

Re: Contributing to SciPy guide

> thanks for this helpful document. What I think is missing is info and
> link to pages that explain how to get started with a dev version of
> scipy. Many users have a released version and have never compiled it
> although they could be contributors. FAQ could be, how to work with a
> dev version of scipy while keeping the last release to switch between
> both? You can  find such info on the web but it might be worth
> centralizing them. If it already exists, please let me know and forget
> this message.

Good point, I think. I'm using a virtualenv for development, isolated
from my system's site-packages. If you're interested, I can write a
short paragraph about my setup and include it in the DOC.

Cheers,
Andreas.
I'm
Alexandre Gramfort | 15 Apr 14:35 2012

Re: Contributing to SciPy guide

> Good point, I think. I'm using a virtualenv for development, isolated
> from my system's site-packages. If you're interested, I can write a
> short paragraph about my setup and include it in the DOC.

that would be really useful.

Alex
Ralf Gommers | 15 Apr 23:10 2012

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Alexandre Gramfort <alexandre.gramfort <at> inria.fr> wrote:
> Good point, I think. I'm using a virtualenv for development, isolated
> from my system's site-packages. If you're interested, I can write a
> short paragraph about my setup and include it in the DOC.

that would be really useful.

Sounds good. If you could describe the virtualenv setup Andreas, and I'll add a description of using an in-place build, plus when to use which, then that should cover the basics.

Ralf

Ralf Gommers | 17 Apr 23:39 2012

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 11:10 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers <at> googlemail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Alexandre Gramfort <alexandre.gramfort <at> inria.fr> wrote:
> Good point, I think. I'm using a virtualenv for development, isolated
> from my system's site-packages. If you're interested, I can write a
> short paragraph about my setup and include it in the DOC.

that would be really useful.

Sounds good. If you could describe the virtualenv setup Andreas, and I'll add a description of using an in-place build, plus when to use which, then that should cover the basics.

This should also be described in http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/dev/gitwash/, but unfortunately it doesn't. The instructions on sending patches are also really outdated, they still recommend to attached patches to a Trac ticket. In case you've read that doc, *please don't do that*. Send a pull request on Github instead.

<at> Matthew: should this also be fixed in https://github.com/matthew-brett/gitwash?

Ralf

Andreas H. | 19 Apr 11:52 2012

Am Di 17 Apr 2012 23:39:10 CEST schrieb Ralf Gommers:

> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 11:10 PM, Ralf Gommers
> <ralf.gommers <at> googlemail.com <mailto:ralf.gommers <at> googlemail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Alexandre Gramfort
>     <alexandre.gramfort <at> inria.fr <mailto:alexandre.gramfort <at> inria.fr>>
>     wrote:
>
>         > Good point, I think. I'm using a virtualenv for development,
>         isolated
>         > from my system's site-packages. If you're interested, I can
>         write a
>         > short paragraph about my setup and include it in the DOC.
>
>         that would be really useful.
>

>     Sounds good. If you could describe the virtualenv setup Andreas,
>     and I'll add a description of using an in-place build, plus when
>     to use which, then that should cover the basics.
>

> This should also be described in
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/dev/gitwash/, but unfortunately it
> doesn't.

I wrote up a short tutorial about using virtualenv and placed it here:

   https://gist.github.com/2419961

Should I incorporate it into the gitwash docs and send a PR to numpy?

Andreas.
Ralf Gommers | 21 Apr 10:52 2012

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Andreas H. <lists <at> hilboll.de> wrote:
Am Di 17 Apr 2012 23:39:10 CEST schrieb Ralf Gommers:

> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 11:10 PM, Ralf Gommers
> <ralf.gommers <at> googlemail.com <mailto:ralf.gommers <at> googlemail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Alexandre Gramfort
>     <alexandre.gramfort <at> inria.fr <mailto:alexandre.gramfort <at> inria.fr>>
>     wrote:
>
>         > Good point, I think. I'm using a virtualenv for development,
>         isolated
>         > from my system's site-packages. If you're interested, I can
>         write a
>         > short paragraph about my setup and include it in the DOC.
>
>         that would be really useful.
>

>     Sounds good. If you could describe the virtualenv setup Andreas,
>     and I'll add a description of using an in-place build, plus when
>     to use which, then that should cover the basics.
>

> This should also be described in
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/dev/gitwash/, but unfortunately it
> doesn't.

I wrote up a short tutorial about using virtualenv and placed it here:

  https://gist.github.com/2419961

Should I incorporate it into the gitwash docs and send a PR to numpy?

That sounds good. I can link to it from the FAQ of the contributors guide then.

Ralf