Henri Honda | 4 Oct 13:13 2012
Picon

KX3

Hello!

Is anyone out there using Elecraft's KX3??

If so, had any luck using fldigi to communicate with it??  I've tried
everything but
no luck.

Fldigi works AOK with my Kenwood TS690 with no problems.  I just
received my KX3
several days ago and had my first SSB QSO with it today.  Took a little
tinkering to get
it setup properly so it leads me to believe that in order to use fldigi
it may take a little
bit of tweaking here and there which is beyond this 91 year old ham.

Any comments, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank y'all and have a good one!

73,

Hank 7J9AAD/K6DON

Matt Maguire | 4 Oct 13:50 2012
Picon

Re: KX3

Yes, works FB.

For CAT control, I just enabled RigCAT, set up the port/parameters, and gave it a K3.xml Rig description
file. (I forget whether I made any KX3-specific customisations to that K3.xml file).

For audio, I just connected some audio cables between the Mic and Speaker ports and my sound card. Put the KX3
into DATA-A mode, and disable audio effects, compression, etc.. Set the mic gain to achieve 4 solid
bars+one flickering bar on the ALC meter, and set the power output using the power control knob. Set the KX3
AF gain to achieve an appropriate audio drive level in FLdigi.

Apart from the ALC meter setting and the stereo audio effects, it is all pretty standard.

73, Matt VK2ACL.

On 04/10/2012, at 9:13 PM, Henri Honda <k6don@...> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Is anyone out there using Elecraft's KX3??
>
> If so, had any luck using fldigi to communicate with it??  I've tried
> everything but
> no luck.
>
> Fldigi works AOK with my Kenwood TS690 with no problems.  I just
> received my KX3
> several days ago and had my first SSB QSO with it today.  Took a little
> tinkering to get
(Continue reading)

Harry Bloomberg | 4 Oct 14:24 2012
Picon

Re: KX3

Yes, the KX3 is a great little rig for digital and you've been given good advice.

I'm using the TX cable available from Elecraft to connect from the KX3's mic connector to the computer's headphone jack.  One minor issue, with this cable you've got to go into the KX3's menu and disable Mic PTT, otherwise your rig will always be keyed.

Another issue is the lack of an aux port on the KX3 for received audio.  This means that unless you take other steps, you will not be able to hear what's in your waterfall.  I solved this by purchasing a headphone "Y" connector and plugging a set of headphones into one side of the Y and running the other set to the computer's line in.  You can also plug a small powered speaker into 1/2 of the Y.  I tried a non-powered speaker, but it put too much of a load on the KX3's audio amp.

73,
Harry Bloomberg W3YJ
hbloomb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org

On 04/10/2012, at 9:13 PM, Henri Honda <k6don-OVUseyiFyoeTnpBtbRfDVg@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Is anyone out there using Elecraft's KX3??
>
> If so, had any luck using fldigi to communicate with it?? I've tried
> everything but
> no luck.
>
> Fldigi works AOK with my Kenwood TS690 with no problems. I just
> received my KX3
> several days ago and had my first SSB QSO with it today. Took a little
> tinkering to get
> it setup properly so it leads me to believe that in order to use fldigi
> it may take a little
> bit of tweaking here and there which is beyond this 91 year old ham.
>
> Any comments, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thank y'all and have a good one!
>
> 73,
>
> Hank 7J9AAD/K6DON

__._,_.___

__,_._,___
Holger Schurig | 4 Oct 14:38 2012
Picon

Re: KX3

Harry,

I am able to hear what's in the waterfall, by using either pavucontrol or alsa-mixer to enable some monitor settings. That means that my sound-chip gives the received audio both the fldigi and to my computer-connected external speakers.

I'm now at work and can't look exactly what I made ...   but maybe this helps you.

Didn't need a Y-Cable. But this might be a feature of the sound-chip of the builtin sound of my desktop PC.

Oh, and yes: I can control my KX3 from fldigi via hamlib via the setting "K3". The K3 hamlib definition isn't exactly correct (e.g. it has different memory registers than K3), but for the fldigi case it works. I'm in the process of separating K3 into K3 & KX3, but my patches aren't fully finished yet and I haven't sent them to the hamlib project yet.

__._,_.___

__,_._,___
Harry Bloomberg | 4 Oct 14:45 2012
Picon

Re: KX3

I am very interested in how to monitor the received audio through my computer, on which I'm running Linux Mint 13.  I will have to investigate how to use pavucontrol and alsa-mixer to do this.  Thanks!

[...]

Holger Schurig | 4 Oct 17:56 2012
Picon

Re: KX3

Okay, now I'm at home.

I have a stereo cable going from the KX3 "PHONES" socket to the Line-In of my desktop PC.

Currently I don't have any program running, but I can hear the KX3 sound via my desktop-PC loud speakers. It's a pure ALSA/chipset thingy for me.

When I start "alsamixer", it comes up and shows the master gain of the virtual "PulseAudio" sound card.

So I press F6 to select another sound card.. In the popup I select "0 HDA Intel". Now I sea loooots of gain setters, e.g. "Master", "Headphone" and so on. The important for me is the one labelled "Line". I select this one with Cursor-Right key. Now I press the "m" key (like mute) bar to toggle the "OO"/"MM" label  below line. If it it is "MM", then I can't hear the Line in, but if it's "OO", I can hear it.

The sound chip mixes all the output (e.g. PCM, Beep, Line) together according the mute states and gain settings of the various inputs.

73, Holger DH3HS

Henri Honda | 5 Oct 05:01 2012
Picon

Re: KX3