David J. Ring, Jr. | 4 Oct 13:15 2011
Picon

Digimaster PRO, Fldigi and Yaesu FT-897

I have the FT-897D but that really doesn't change things.

I cannot get the G4ZIP Digimaster PRO, fldigi and Yaesu FT-897 to play nicely.

I see that the Digimaster Pro adds two new tty devices:

/dev/ttyUSB0
/dev/ttyUSB1

$ ls -l /dev/ttyUSB*

crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 2011-10-03 23:32 /dev/ttyUSB0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 1 2011-10-03 23:30 /dev/ttyUSB1

Since I cannot get fldigi to control the FT897, I am looking further  - do I have a problem here?

73

David

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linuxham/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

(Continue reading)

Ed | 4 Oct 13:54 2011
Picon
Picon

Re: Digimaster PRO, Fldigi and Yaesu FT-897

On 10/04/2011 07:15 AM, David J. Ring, Jr. wrote:
> I have the FT-897D but that really doesn't change things.
>
> I cannot get the G4ZIP Digimaster PRO, fldigi and Yaesu FT-897 to
> play nicely.
>
> I see that the Digimaster Pro adds two new tty devices:
>
> /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/ttyUSB1
>
> $ ls -l /dev/ttyUSB*
>
> crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 2011-10-03 23:32 /dev/ttyUSB0
> crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 1 2011-10-03 23:30 /dev/ttyUSB1
>
> Since I cannot get fldigi to control the FT897, I am looking further
> - do I have a problem here?
>
> 73
>
> David
>
>
>

Did you install the driver for Linux ?

> http://g4zlp.co.uk/unified/downloads.shtml

Ed W3NR
(Continue reading)

David J. Ring, Jr. | 4 Oct 15:00 2011
Picon

Re: Digimaster PRO, Fldigi and Yaesu FT-897

I tried to install the driver but got all sorts of errors that I don't understand.

For what it's worth, errors are after my signature.

73
David N1EA

=====================
cc1: error: /lib/modules/2.6.32-33-generic/build/include/linux/modversions.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.32-33-generic/build/include/linux/kernel.h:11,
                 from ftdi_sio.c:251:
/lib/modules/2.6.32-33-generic/build/include/linux/linkage.h:5:25: error: asm/linkage.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.32-33-generic/build/include/linux/kernel.h:15,
                 from ftdi_sio.c:251:
/lib/modules/2.6.32-33-generic/build/include/linux/bitops.h:17:24: error: asm/bitops.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.32-33-generic/build/include/linux/kernel.h:15,
                 from ftdi_sio.c:251:
/lib/modules/2.6.32-33-generic/build/include/linux/bitops.h: In function `get_bitmask_order':
/lib/modules/2.6.32-33-generic/build/include/linux/bitops.h:29: warning: implicit declaration of function `fls'
/lib/modules/2.6.32-33-generic/build/include/linux/bitops.h: In function `hweight_long':
/lib/modules/2.6.32-33-generic/build/include/linux/bitops.h:45: warning: implicit declaration of function `hweight32'
/lib/modules/2.6.32-33-generic/build/include/linux/bitops.h:45: warning: implicit declaration of function `hweight64'
/lib/modules/2.6.32-33-generic/build/include/linux/bitops.h: In function `fls_long':
/lib/modules/2.6.32-33-generic/build/include/linux/bitops.h:112: warning: implicit declaration of function `fls64'
/lib/modules/2.6.32-33-generic/build/include/linux/bitops.h: In function `__ffs64':
/lib/modules/2.6.32-33-generic/build/include/linux/bitops.h:127: warning: implicit declaration of function `__ffs'
In file included from ftdi_sio.c:251:
/lib/modules/2.6.32-33-generic/build/include/linux/kernel.h:21:21: error: asm/bug.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.32-33-generic/build/include/linux/preempt.h:9,
                 from /lib/modules/2.6.32-33-generic/build/include/linux/spinlock.h:50,
(Continue reading)

Ed | 4 Oct 15:28 2011
Picon
Picon

Re: Re: Digimaster PRO, Fldigi and Yaesu FT-897

On 10/04/2011 09:00 AM, David J. Ring, Jr. wrote:
> I tried to install the driver but got all sorts of errors that I don't understand.
>
> For what it's worth, errors are after my signature.
>
> 73
> David N1EA
>

 From what I read via Google you do not need the driver as the FTDI is 
supported by the kernel.

So it seems you have another problem somewhere.

Can you supply more info on what you have tried ? and if you start 
fldigi from a terminal are you seeing any errors ?. What does the fldigi 
event log show ?

Ed W3NR

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linuxham/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

(Continue reading)

David J. Ring, Jr. | 4 Oct 17:54 2011
Picon

Re: Digimaster PRO, Fldigi and Yaesu FT-897

I've gotten this working under Windows - but not Linux / Ubuntu.

I start fldigi from command line, I get fail to communicate with radio for error.

Do you know which kernel has the update that supports the USB chipset in the Digimaster Pro?

I don't see the USB when using lshw.

David

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linuxham/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linuxham/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    linuxham-digest@... 
    linuxham-fullfeatured@...

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    linuxham-unsubscribe@...
(Continue reading)

Marty Hartwell | 4 Oct 18:56 2011
Picon

Re: Re: Digimaster PRO, Fldigi and Yaesu FT-897

Hi

I get that message when I don't have the radio turned on or if it
the radio and PC aren't communicating. You do have the radio on
don't you?
Just asking.

Marty kd8bj

On 10/04/2011 10:54 AM, David J. Ring, Jr. wrote:
>
> I've gotten this working under Windows - but not Linux / Ubuntu.
>
> I start fldigi from command line, I get fail to communicate with radio 
> for error.
>
> Do you know which kernel has the update that supports the USB chipset 
> in the Digimaster Pro?
>
> I don't see the USB when using lshw.
>
> David
>
> 

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
(Continue reading)

Ed | 4 Oct 20:23 2011
Picon
Picon

Re: Re: Digimaster PRO, Fldigi and Yaesu FT-897

On 10/04/2011 11:54 AM, David J. Ring, Jr. wrote:
> I've gotten this working under Windows - but not Linux / Ubuntu.
>
> I start fldigi from command line, I get fail to communicate with
> radio for error.
>
> Do you know which kernel has the update that supports the USB chipset
> in the Digimaster Pro?
>
> I don't see the USB when using lshw.
>
> David
>
>

The correct syntax is lsusb.

Any kernel 2.6 and above, so your covered.

The error is usually caused by choosing the wrong port or the baud rates 
don't match. Are you using hamlib, rigCAT or flrig ?

Ed W3NR

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linuxham/
(Continue reading)

David J. Ring, Jr. | 4 Oct 21:49 2011
Picon

Re: Digimaster PRO, Fldigi and Yaesu FT-897

Hi Ed,

I tried using lsusb lspci and lshw.

For some reason lsusb didn't list it or I didn't see it, but now it's there:

~$ lsusb
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 0403:6010 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT2232C Dual
USB-UART/FIFO IC
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04f2:b090 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd 
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

dmesg supplies this informaation:

5.270380] ftdi_sio 6-2:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
[    5.270410] usb 6-2: Detected FT2232C
[    5.270412] usb 6-2: Number of endpoints 2
[    5.270415] usb 6-2: Endpoint 1 MaxPacketSize 64
[    5.270417] usb 6-2: Endpoint 2 MaxPacketSize 64
[    5.270419] usb 6-2: Setting MaxPacketSize 64
[    5.272360] usb 6-2: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
[    5.272384] ftdi_sio 6-2:1.1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
[    5.272413] usb 6-2: Detected FT2232C
(Continue reading)

Ed | 4 Oct 21:56 2011
Picon
Picon

Re: Re: Digimaster PRO, Fldigi and Yaesu FT-897

On 10/04/2011 03:49 PM, David J. Ring, Jr. wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>
> I tried using lsusb lspci and lshw.
>

> 5.270380] ftdi_sio 6-2:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter
> detected [    5.270410] usb 6-2: Detected FT2232C [    5.270412] usb
> 6-2: Number of endpoints 2 [    5.270415] usb 6-2: Endpoint 1
> MaxPacketSize 64 [    5.270417] usb 6-2: Endpoint 2 MaxPacketSize 64
> [    5.270419] usb 6-2: Setting MaxPacketSize 64 [    5.272360] usb
> 6-2: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0 [
> 5.272384] ftdi_sio 6-2:1.1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter
> detected [    5.272413] usb 6-2: Detected FT2232C [    5.272416] usb
> 6-2: Number of endpoints 2 [    5.272418] usb 6-2: Endpoint 1
> MaxPacketSize 64 [    5.272420] usb 6-2: Endpoint 2 MaxPacketSize 64
> [    5.272422] usb 6-2: Setting MaxPacketSize 64 [    5.276519] Linux
> video capture interface: v2.00 [    5.276965] usb 6-2: FTDI USB
> Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB1 [    5.276990]
> usbcore: registered new interface driver ftdi_sio [    5.276992]
> ftdi_sio: v1.5.0:USB FTDI Serial Converters Driver

That is the correct version of the driver.

> grig with correct port and correct radio file doesn't work.

I have never, ever had any luck with grig..

> fldigi returns these errors - first trying hamlib with the beta
> ft-897 file and then with the rigcat system.
(Continue reading)

David J. Ring, Jr. | 4 Oct 22:57 2011
Picon

Re: Digimaster PRO, Fldigi and Yaesu FT-897

Hello Ed and others:

I installed flrig from source no problem except I had to install a -dev file to be able to compile.  That's
expected.  Compiled flawlessly.

I run flrig from CLI.

It doesn't work, but I ran the program with the debug switch and here is the messages from the starting of flrig.

W: main: FLRIG 1.2.2 log started on Tue Oct  4 16:46:10 2011

W: init_port_combos: Searching /sys/class/tty/
W: init_port_combos: Found serial port /dev/ttyS0
W: init_port_combos: Found serial port /dev/ttyS1
W: init_port_combos: Found serial port /dev/ttyS2
W: init_port_combos: Found serial port /dev/ttyS3
W: init_port_combos: Found serial port /dev/ttyUSB0
W: init_port_combos: Found serial port /dev/ttyUSB1
W:16:46:11: get vfo A failed 2 ms, cmd 00 00 00 00 03, ans
W:16:46:11:   select B, cmd 00 00 00 00 81, ans
W:16:46:11: get vfo B failed 2 ms, cmd 00 00 00 00 03, ans
W:16:46:11:  set vfo B, cmd 01 40 70 00 01, ans
W:16:46:11: set mode B, cmd 01 00 00 00 07, ans
W:16:46:11:   select A, cmd 00 00 00 00 81, ans
W:16:46:11:  set vfo A, cmd 01 40 70 00 01, ans
W:16:46:11: set mode A, cmd 01 00 00 00 07, ans
W: send_modes: rig.set_modes
W: digi_loop: rig.take_control
W: send_modes: rig.set_modes
W: digi_loop: rig.take_control
(Continue reading)

Ed | 4 Oct 23:49 2011
Picon
Picon

Re: Re: Digimaster PRO, Fldigi and Yaesu FT-897

On 10/04/2011 04:57 PM, David J. Ring, Jr. wrote:
> Hello Ed and others:
>
> I installed flrig from source no problem except I had to install a
> -dev file to be able to compile.  That's expected.  Compiled
> flawlessly.
>
> I run flrig from CLI.
>
> It doesn't work, but I ran the program with the debug switch and here
> is the messages from the starting of flrig.

Not much here I can help with. Sorry.

> Puzzling because it runs in Windows.
>
> In my FT-897D in menu mode #019 CAT rate is set to 38400 bps menu
> mode #020 CAT/LIN/TUNER is set to CAT.
>
> I'm going to try again in Windows.  Or maybe I'll try MixW under
> Wine.
>
> David N1EA

Looking at the website I see it is primarily aimed at Windows users, 
there is no mention of Linux anywhere.

Also the use of virtual comports may or may not work in Linux.

MixW may work with Wine, unless its written in VB, then you are out of luck.
(Continue reading)

David J. Ring, Jr. | 5 Oct 00:32 2011
Picon

Re: Digimaster PRO, Fldigi and Yaesu FT-897

Good news and bad news - bad news first.

I decided to try Windows again.  I saw that in addition to Ham Radio Deluxe I also had fldigi for Windows.

So I tried it.  No work!

Just probably settings, I thought.

So I try HRD (Ham Radio Deluxe) - also no work - but it used to work.

Reboot, Windows.

HRD starts working.
Fldigi works.

Reboot into Ubuntu Linux.

NOW Fldigi and I mean Flrig both work!

I have no idea why except for my standard explaination of the impossible:  When it reset, something forced it
extra hard to completely reset as it was not completely latching before.

Thanks gentlemen for the help.

One great little program for CLI console is tlf.  As probably all of you know command line programs in the
CONSOLE (press Alt plus Control plus F1) and you reveal the console.

For those who have blind friends you might tell them about www.vinuxproject.org  We are trying to make a
highly accessible Desktop for Vinux with speaking console and ORCA in X Windows Graphic User Interface.

(Continue reading)

Ed | 5 Oct 13:29 2011
Picon
Picon

Re: Re: Digimaster PRO, Fldigi and Yaesu FT-897

On 10/04/2011 06:32 PM, David J. Ring, Jr. wrote:
> Good news and bad news - bad news first.
>
> I decided to try Windows again.  I saw that in addition to Ham Radio
> Deluxe I also had fldigi for Windows.
>
> So I tried it.  No work!
>
> Just probably settings, I thought.
>
> So I try HRD (Ham Radio Deluxe) - also no work - but it used to
> work.
>
> Reboot, Windows.
>
> HRD starts working. Fldigi works.
>
> Reboot into Ubuntu Linux.
>
> NOW Fldigi and I mean Flrig both work!

Glad to hear you are up and running.

Ed W3NR

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
(Continue reading)

Ed | 4 Oct 20:25 2011
Picon
Picon

Re: Re: Digimaster PRO, Fldigi and Yaesu FT-897

On 10/04/2011 11:54 AM, David J. Ring, Jr. wrote:
> I've gotten this working under Windows - but not Linux / Ubuntu.
>
> I start fldigi from command line, I get fail to communicate with
> radio for error.
>
> Do you know which kernel has the update that supports the USB chipset
> in the Digimaster Pro?
>
> I don't see the USB when using lshw.
>
> David
>
>

I would suggest using flrig, then you only need to select the port, as 
long as the baud rates agree.

EdW3NR

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linuxham/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

(Continue reading)


Gmane