Damien Hull | 12 Aug 21:56 2012
Picon

Installing & Configuring snort

I've played around with snort off and on for the past couple of years.
Every time I use it I run into the same problem. It doesn't seem to
work after following the instructions. I must be missing something.

OS: Ubuntu 10.04 server
SNORT: 2.9.3.1
Instructions: The Ubuntu-10.04-LTS instructions on the snort.org website.
Barnyard2: Installed and configured
MySQL: Using this and it seems to work
Snort Rules: 2923

Problem #1
The dynamic rules don't work for some reason. I commented out the
"dynamicdetection" line to turn that off.

Problem #2
I'm not getting any alerts. I added sfportscan to snort.conf but I'm
getting no action in the log file.

Snort-users <at> lists.sourceforge.net
(Continue reading)

Peter Bates | 13 Aug 14:23 2012

Re: Installing & Configuring snort

Hello all

On 12/08/2012 20:56, Damien Hull wrote:
> OS: Ubuntu 10.04 server SNORT: 2.9.3.1 Instructions: The
> Ubuntu-10.04-LTS instructions on the snort.org website. Barnyard2:
> Installed and configured MySQL: Using this and it seems to work
> Snort Rules: 2923
>
> Problem #1 The dynamic rules don't work for some reason. I
> commented out the "dynamicdetection" line to turn that off.

You've got version 2.9.3.1 with 2.9.2.3 ruleset so the SO rules will
not work.

> Problem #2 I'm not getting any alerts. I added sfportscan to
> snort.conf but I'm getting no action in the log file.

Is your unified file updating at all?

I'd suggest taking Barnyard2 out of the equation until you know your
sensor is hitting traffic -

snort -A console -u snort -g snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i ethX

is very useful - also the example 'ICMP' rule in the snort.org HOWTO
is very handy to test you're actually seeing something.

Peter Bates