Michael Gregory | 24 Dec 21:02 2006

"mo" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

I'm getting these warnings every 5 mins and they seem to coincid with a
cron job, blacklistcheck, copfilter_cron, setwrules, setddns.pl
makegraphs and timecheck. I have looked in various logs  monit etc. but
can't find anything to indicate what is causing this loop.

Any ideas where to check ?

Dec 24 07:57:43 ipcop init: Id "mo" respawning too fast: disabled for 5
minutes
Dec 24 08:52:55 ipcop init: Id "mo" respawning too fast: disabled for 5

Rainer Zocholl | 25 Dec 18:53 2006

Re: "mo" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

mgregory@...(Michael Gregory)  24.12.06 12:02

>I'm getting these warnings every 5 mins and they seem to coincid with
>a cron job, blacklistcheck, copfilter_cron, setwrules, setddns.pl
>makegraphs and timecheck.

Those are run all 5 minutes too... change the crontab to 4 miuntes.

>I have looked in various logs  monit etc. but can't find anything
>to indicate what is causing this loop.

>Any ideas where to check ?

Have a look into

/etc/inittab

to see a line starting with "mo" (maybe "modem"?)

There a driver/demon fails to start.

Comment out that line (if not required!) and do "telinit q" or "hup"
initd or restart.

> 57:57:43 ipcop init: Id "mo" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> 58:02:44 ipcop init: Id "mo" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> 58:07:45 ipcop init: Id "mo" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> 58:12:46 ipcop init: Id "mo" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> 58:17:47 ipcop init: Id "mo" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Michael Gregory | 26 Dec 19:45 2006

Re: "mo" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

It does seem to be the last line in inittab causing the problem. I can
remove it and reload inittab with the
command telinit q as root . However after a reboot inittab gets
re-written with with that command back in.
 Where does inittab get the original file configuration from or am I
doing something wrong.

Also the line removed :-
mo:2345:respawn:/var/log/copfilter/default/opt/monit/default/bin/monit
-I -c /var/log/copfilter/default/opt/monit/etc/monitrc

Looks like its for a process monitoring program "monit" that can monitor
and restart certain processes. If by removing this
line have I now disabled this function or is it started somewhere else.
Monit does look like it useful  to have around so I
don't want to shut it down completely.

Rainer Zocholl wrote:
> mgregory@...(Michael Gregory)  24.12.06 12:02
>> I'm getting these warnings every 5 mins and they seem to coincid with
>> a cron job, blacklistcheck, copfilter_cron, setwrules, setddns.pl
>> makegraphs and timecheck.
> Those are run all 5 minutes too... change the crontab to 4 miuntes.

Rainer Zocholl | 27 Dec 00:42 2006

Re: "mo" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

mgregory@...(Michael Gregory)  26.12.06 10:45

>It does seem to be the last line in inittab causing the problem. I can
>remove it and reload inittab with the
>command telinit q as root . However after a reboot inittab gets
>re-written with with that command back in.
> Where does inittab get the original file configuration from or am I
>doing something wrong.

>Also the line removed :-
>mo:2345:respawn:/var/log/copfilter/default/opt/monit/default/bin/monit
>-I -c /var/log/copfilter/default/opt/monit/etc/monitrc

>Looks like its for a process monitoring program "monit" that can
>monitor and restart certain processes. If by removing this
>line have I now disabled this function or is it started somewhere
>else. Monit does look like it useful  to have around so I
>don't want to shut it down completely.

It seems to belong to "copfilter" addon.
Maybe it helps if you reinstall copfilter?

What happens if you start that command via command line?

/var/log/copfilter/default/opt/monit/default/bin/monit -I -c /var/log/copfilter/default/opt/monit/etc/monitrc

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash