Talib | 17 May 21:42 2012
Picon

Can anyone tell me how to explain this phonetically?

Hi guys
as a beginner i try sometimes to play with praat, but this time i think it was not a play .I recorded the voice of
"set" to see the waveform .On the sound editor i stopped the cursor at a part of the consonant "s"  just a  little
before the vowel ''e" then i replay the sound from that specific point ,what i hear clearly was "tet", i
repeat this with "sit" and i got the sound of "tit" does this imply so-called "interchangebility between
"s' and "t" consonants?or what????

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    praat-users-digest@...
    praat-users-fullfeatured@...

(Continue reading)

Paul Boersma | 18 May 14:18 2012

Re: Can anyone tell me how to explain this phonetically?

Op 17 mei 2012, om 21:42 heeft Talib het volgende geschreven:

> > i stopped the cursor at a part of the consonant "s"  just a  little before the vowel ''e" then i replay the
sound from that specific point ,what i hear clearly was "tet"

yes, the release burst of an alveolar [t] sounds very similar to a shortened [s]. This is well known. In both
cases, air is forcibly pushed through a narrow opening at the tip of the tongue, and this usually leads to a
jet of air that hits the teeth, creating a loud sibilant noise with a high mean frequency that is
characteristic of the space between the tongue tip and the teeth. If you cut away the release burst as well,
the result may still sound like [det] or [tet], because the motion of the tongue from the alveolar closure
to the vowel is the same in both cases, leading to the same spectral transition auditorily.
_____

Paul Boersma
University of Amsterdam
Linguistics
Spuistraat 210, room 303
1012VT Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/paul/

John K Pate | 18 May 09:51 2012

Re: Can anyone tell me how to explain this phonetically?

On Thu, 17 May 2012 19:42:08 -0000
"Talib" <suhail122003@...> wrote:

> Hi guys
> as a beginner i try sometimes to play with praat, but this time i think it was not a play .I recorded the voice of
> "set" to see the waveform .On the sound editor i stopped the cursor at a part of the consonant "s"  just a
little before the vowel ''e" then i replay the sound from that specific point ,what i hear clearly was
"tet", i repeat this with "sit" and i got the sound of "tit" does this imply so-called "interchangebility
between "s' and "t" consonants?or what????

/s/ and /t/ are pronounced with your tongue in about the same place of your mouth. When going into a vowel,
your tongue makes a similar motion, because it is moving from the same general place to form the shape to
pronounce a vowel (this means the transitional formants are very similar). /s/ and /t/ are distinguished
by what happens *before* the transitional formants; /t/ has silence, /s/ has a lot of frication.

When you start playing right at the transitional formants, you are basically replacing the frication of
the /s/ with the silence that happens before you click "play." So you are hearing silence, then
transitional formants associated with an alveolar place of articulation.

Does that make sense?

John K Pate http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0930006/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.