Kurt Tunkko | 20 Aug 00:04 2008
Picon

Help backing up Microsoft SQL Server with BackupPC (and WinXPs Shadow Copy Service)

Hello,

on one of our Clients there is an instance of Microsoft SQL Server running.

When backing up the machine, the error log shows:

Remote[1]: rsync: send_files failed to open: <FILENAME>  (in root):
Device or resource busy (16)

with <FILENAME>s:

"c/Programme/Microsoft SQL Server/MSSQL.1/MSSQL/Data/master.mdf"
"c/Programme/Microsoft SQL Server/MSSQL.1/MSSQL/Data/mastlog.ldf"
"c/Programme/Microsoft SQL Server/MSSQL.1/MSSQL/Data/model.mdf"
"c/Programme/Microsoft SQL Server/MSSQL.1/MSSQL/Data/modellog.ldf"
"c/Programme/Microsoft SQL Server/MSSQL.1/MSSQL/Data/msdbdata.mdf"
"c/Programme/Microsoft SQL Server/MSSQL.1/MSSQL/Data/msdblog.ldf"
"c/Programme/Microsoft SQL Server/MSSQL.1/MSSQL/Data/tempdb.mdf"
"c/Programme/Microsoft SQL Server/MSSQL.1/MSSQL/Data/templog.ldf"

While knowing little about database, I know that I need to shutdown SQL
Server during the backup but then the machine would be not functional
during this time.

Questions:
1) Can I use Windows XP Shadow-Copy feature or do a dump of the
Microsoft SQL Database to a file and backup this file? Maybe something like:
a) stop sql server
b) make a snapshot/shadow copy
c) start sql server
(Continue reading)

Alan McKay | 20 Aug 00:15 2008
Picon

Re: Help backing up Microsoft SQL Server with BackupPC (and WinXPs Shadow Copy Service)

> 1) Can I [...] do a dump of the
> Microsoft SQL Database to a file and backup this file?

I don't use MS SQL, but the above works fine on MySQL.  I use the
mysqldump command to dump the DB and then those sql files can be
easily backed up.  And of course mysqldump works on the live DB so no
need to shut it down.  You may also want to put the MS SQL files in an
exclude list - I believe I saw that feature in BackupPC

"I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends"
 - Abraham Lincoln

Kurt Tunkko | 20 Aug 00:26 2008

Alan McKay wrote:
>> 1) Can I [...] do a dump of the
>> Microsoft SQL Database to a file and backup this file?
>
> I don't use MS SQL, but the above works fine on MySQL.

Ok, so I know now its worth to follow this path, but (unfortunately) I
don't know what are the right commands to do this - and looking into
'the book' (backup & recovery) the database chapter was already very
complicated to me, so if someone knows how to:

- create a dump with microsoft sql server 2005, and
- howto use the shadow copy service on windows

that would grrreat :-)

- Kurt

Adam Goryachev | 20 Aug 08:38 2008

Kurt Tunkko wrote:
> Alan McKay wrote:
>>> 1) Can I [...] do a dump of the
>>> Microsoft SQL Database to a file and backup this file?
>> I don't use MS SQL, but the above works fine on MySQL.
>
> Ok, so I know now its worth to follow this path, but (unfortunately) I
> don't know what are the right commands to do this - and looking into
> 'the book' (backup & recovery) the database chapter was already very
> complicated to me, so if someone knows how to:
>
> - create a dump with microsoft sql server 2005, and

AFAIK, you can use a tool called sqlmaint.exe which comes from
microsoft. It will create the text backup file similar to mysqldump does
for mysql.

> - howto use the shadow copy service on windows

This should be a dedicated question, but I would love to see the answer
to it...

Regards,
Adam

--