Jay Dresser | 1 Feb 06:17 2009

Re: symbolic links not working

OK, Ubuntu has an old version in the repository, so I installed 0.5.06
but it still does not follow symbolic links.  Any ideas?

Jay Dresser wrote:
> Hi.  I just tried duplicity and it looks great and all but it is not
> following symbolic links.  I am running version 0.4.12 on Ubuntu
> Intrepid.  I thought I followed the man page correctly, is there some
> trick to using symbolic links?

Jay Dresser, duplicity <at> jaydresser.us
Richard Scott | 1 Feb 11:37 2009
Picon

Re: symbolic links not working

Hi,

I don't believe duplicity will follow symbolic links by design. It wouldn't make any sense to
actually backup the target file in the place of the symbolic link.

For example, you could be backing up /etc which includes this symlink:

# ls -al /etc/test
/etc/test -> /root/test

If you restored /etc/test using the method your after all you'd then get is an actual file called
/etc/test and not a symlink back to /root/test.

Hope this helps,

Rich