Tom Limoncelli | 19 Mar 13:30 2012

duplicity 0.6.18 on FreeBSD: missing gio module

I had been using an older version of duplicity on FreeBSD but recently
I upgraded to duplicity 0.6.18 and it doesn't install right.   When I
run it it can't find an import called "gio".  My web searches for
gio.py only find it as part of a module called urlfs.

Import of duplicity.backends.giobackend Failed: No module named gio

If I fix that problem by working around it I get:

Import of duplicity.backends.giobackend Failed: No module named glib
BackendException: ssh connection to gspbackupservice:22 failed: [Errno
8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known

Any suggestions?

Tom

http://EverythingSysadmin.com  -- my blog
http://www.TomOnTime.com -- my videos
edgar.soldin | 19 Mar 13:57 2012
Picon

Re: duplicity 0.6.18 on FreeBSD: missing gio module

On 19.03.2012 13:30, Tom Limoncelli wrote:
> I had been using an older version of duplicity on FreeBSD but recently
> I upgraded to duplicity 0.6.18 and it doesn't install right.   When I
> run it it can't find an import called "gio".  My web searches for
> gio.py only find it as part of a module called urlfs.
>
> Import of duplicity.backends.giobackend Failed: No module named gio
>
> If I fix that problem by working around it I get:
>
> Import of duplicity.backends.giobackend Failed: No module named glib
> BackendException: ssh connection to gspbackupservice:22 failed: [Errno
> 8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known
>
> Any suggestions?

did you actually use the gio backend before? if not, you can safely ignore the error. it is expected.

i see you use ssh. this backend underwent a major update. you now need
paramiko
http://www.lag.net/paramiko/
and pycrypto
https://www.dlitz.net/software/pycrypto/
for it.
if you are lucky these are available as packages in freebsd.

sorry that this was not documented properly in the Changelog.

..ede/duply.net
(Continue reading)

Tom Limoncelli | 19 Mar 21:19 2012

Re: duplicity 0.6.18 on FreeBSD: missing gio module

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I have paramiko and pycrypto installed.

After more investigation I found the problem.  It turns out to be
unrelated to the warning about gio.  The problem is that the new
version of Duplicity does not read host aliases in ~/.ssh/config.
You'll see errors like:

BackendException: ssh connection to gspbackupservice:22 failed: [Errno
8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known

My backups are done to "gspbackupservice" which does not exist in DNS;
it is purely a host set up in ~/.ssh/config that directs the backups
to a certain machine on a certain port with a special key.

The workaround is to use the actual hostname.  However, that means I
can't control the keys and port numbers like I can with an alias.

I found http://www.saltycrane.com/blog/2010/02/python-paramiko-notes/
that shows how paramiko can be tuned to read config.

Can you consider this as a feature request?

Thanks!
Tom
edgar.soldin | 19 Mar 21:56 2012

On 19.03.2012 21:19, Tom Limoncelli wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback. Yes I have paramiko and pycrypto installed.
>
> After more investigation I found the problem.  It turns out to be
> unrelated to the warning about gio.  The problem is that the new
> version of Duplicity does not read host aliases in ~/.ssh/config.
> You'll see errors like:
>
> BackendException: ssh connection to gspbackupservice:22 failed: [Errno
> 8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known
>
> My backups are done to "gspbackupservice" which does not exist in DNS;
> it is purely a host set up in ~/.ssh/config that directs the backups
> to a certain machine on a certain port with a special key.
>
> The workaround is to use the actual hostname.  However, that means I
> can't control the keys and port numbers like I can with an alias.
>
> I found http://www.saltycrane.com/blog/2010/02/python-paramiko-notes/
> that shows how paramiko can be tuned to read config.
>
> Can you consider this as a feature request?

too late ;9 .. this is already done in trunk.
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~duplicity-team/duplicity/0.6-series/revision/847

either wait for the next release
or
stick with 0.6.17 which is the last with the old ssh backend
(Continue reading)

Tom Limoncelli | 19 Mar 22:20 2012

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 4:56 PM,  <edgar.soldin <at> web.de> wrote:
> too late ;9 .. this is already done in trunk.
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~duplicity-team/duplicity/0.6-series/revision/847

You rock!  Thanks!

Tom

http://EverythingSysadmin.com  -- my blog