Picon

DTrace IP provider, step 1

G'Day All,

I'm putting together a PSARC case to begin integration of the DTrace network
providers.  I've drawn up a rough plan which splits this project into over a
dozen smaller steps, as documented on the network provider page:

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/dtrace/NetworkProvider#Plan

Below is a draft PSARC document for task 1, IP provider send/receive probes.
I'm looking to integrate this in the coming weeks, and then to move straight
onto tasks 2 and 3 - TCP and UDP providers.

A. INTRODUCTION

This case adds a DTrace 'ip' provider with probes for send and receive for
both IPv4 and IPv6 protocols.  This is intended for use by customers for
network observability and troubleshooting, and is the first component of
a suite of planned providers for the network stack.

B. DESCRIPTION

This will introduce the following probes for the 'ip' provider:

	ip:::send
	ip:::receive

The arguments to these probes are:

Re: DTrace IP provider, step 1

G'Day All,

The DTrace ip provider is almost ready for putback into Solaris Nevada.
Recapping, the following steps were performed in preperation for this:

1) Submitted proposals to dtrace-discuss and network-discuss.
2) Wrote and demonstrated prototypes of the provider.
3) Drew up a plan for how it fits with similar providers:
   http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/dtrace/NetworkProvider#Plan
4) Wrote documentation for the Dynamic Tracing Guide:
   http://wikis.sun.com/display/DTrace/ip+Provider

I've attached the case document, which is ready for PSARC.  I'll be looking
to have this closed approved-automatic and integrated in about a week.

This is the first of many steps for network stack DTrace instrumention,
as documented on the opensolaris website.  The next steps are TCP and UDP
providers, so I'll begin proposal discussion and prototypes after this
is putback.

cheers,

Brendan

On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 02:41:32PM -0800, Brendan Gregg - Sun Microsystems wrote:
> G'Day All,
>
> I'm putting together a PSARC case to begin integration of the DTrace network
> providers.  I've drawn up a rough plan which splits this project into over a
> dozen smaller steps, as documented on the network provider page:

Re: [networking-discuss] DTrace IP provider, step 1

G'Day All,

I've attached an updated draft PSARC document for the IP provider.  Please
comment by May 6th, which is when we plan to file and close this case.

The only change to this draft was the addition of two new string members:

        string ipv4_protostr;     /* next level protocol, as a string */
        string ipv6_nextstr;      /* next header protocol, as a string */

cheers,

Brendan

On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 04:41:41PM -0800, Brendan Gregg - Sun Microsystems wrote:
> G'Day All,
>
> The DTrace ip provider is almost ready for putback into Solaris Nevada.
> Recapping, the following steps were performed in preperation for this:
[...]
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 02:41:32PM -0800, Brendan Gregg - Sun Microsystems wrote:
> > G'Day All,
> >
> > I'm putting together a PSARC case to begin integration of the DTrace network
> > providers.  I've drawn up a rough plan which splits this project into over a
> > dozen smaller steps, as documented on the network provider page:
> >
> > http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/dtrace/NetworkProvider#Plan
> >
> > Below is a draft PSARC document for task 1, IP provider send/receive probes.

Re: [dtrace-discuss] DTrace IP provider, step 1

G'Day,

Sorry - I missed a change in that document; I've attached a newer copy which
has the following minor update:

	illinfo_t renamed to ifinfo_t

Brendan

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 03:15:07PM -0700, Brendan Gregg - Sun Microsystems wrote:
> G'Day All,
>
> I've attached an updated draft PSARC document for the IP provider.  Please
> comment by May 6th, which is when we plan to file and close this case.
>
> The only change to this draft was the addition of two new string members:
>
>         string ipv4_protostr;     /* next level protocol, as a string */
>         string ipv6_nextstr;      /* next header protocol, as a string */
>
> cheers,
>
> Brendan
[...]

Brendan
[CA, USA]
(Continue reading)

Adam Leventhal | 3 May 03:16 2008
Picon

Re: [networking-discuss] DTrace IP provider, step 1

Brendan, this looks great. Nice job.

Adam

On Apr 30, 2008, at 6:13 PM, Brendan Gregg - Sun Microsystems wrote:

> G'Day,
>
> Sorry - I missed a change in that document; I've attached a newer
> copy which
> has the following minor update:
>
> 	illinfo_t renamed to ifinfo_t
>
> Brendan
>
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 03:15:07PM -0700, Brendan Gregg - Sun
> Microsystems wrote:
>> G'Day All,
>>
>> I've attached an updated draft PSARC document for the IP provider.
>> Please
>> comment by May 6th, which is when we plan to file and close this
>> case.
>>
>> The only change to this draft was the addition of two new string
>> members:
>>
>>        string ipv4_protostr;     /* next level protocol, as a
>> string */
(Continue reading)

Robert Milkowski | 2 Jan 11:44 2008

Re: DTrace IP provider, step 1

Hello Brendan,

Great!

      Would it also properly work with pid, ppid, execname, etc. ?

Best regards,
 Robert Milkowski                            mailto:rmilkowski@...
                                       http://milek.blogspot.com

Picon

Re: DTrace IP provider, step 1

G'Day Robert,

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 10:44:02AM +0000, Robert Milkowski wrote:
> Hello Brendan,
>

> Great!
>
>       Would it also properly work with pid, ppid, execname, etc. ?

By the end of the plan, yes:

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/dtrace/NetworkProvider/#Plan

But not for this first step - ip:::{send|receive}.

Associating IP events with processes is likely to depend on the
packet IDs, socket provider and connection IDs.  It's something
that I really want to get done...

Brendan

Brendan
[CA, USA]
Richard L. Hamilton | 2 May 14:38 2008
Picon

Re: [dtrace-discuss] DTrace IP provider, step 1

> G'Day Robert,
>
> On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 10:44:02AM +0000, Robert
> Milkowski wrote:
> > Hello Brendan,
> >

> > Great!
> >
> >       Would it also properly work with pid, ppid,
> execname, etc. ?
>
> By the end of the plan, yes:
>
> http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/dtrace/Network
> Provider/#Plan
>
> But not for this first step - ip:::{send|receive}.
>
> Associating IP events with processes is likely to
> depend on the
> packet IDs, socket provider and connection IDs.  It's
> something
> that I really want to get done...
>
> Brendan

Does that mean we can dream of a Solaris port of lsof that's
little more than a D script? :-)

Re: [dtrace-discuss] DTrace IP provider, step 1

G'Day Richard,