Sumith Sudhakaran | 20 May 05:58 2011

[Puppet Users] Not able to execute shell script

Hi,

After  configuring  puppet ( 2.6.8 ) in RHEL 5 update 6, I am able to execute commands individually but I am not able  execute the shell script, its giving error only. Somebody please help me how can I execute a shell script in rhel5 update6 using puppetserver. hereunder  I am mentioning the manifests format, which i have followed

exec { "start":
 command => "/usr/bin/start.sh",
 logoutput => true,
}

Error I am getting:-

err: /Stage[main]//Exec[start]/

I am able to execute this script directly.

Regards

Sumith

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
To post to this group, send email to puppet-users <at> googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe <at> googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
Denmat | 20 May 09:30 2011

Re: [Puppet Users] Not able to execute shell script

Hi,

What is the exit code of the script when you run manually? Does it exit with 1?

Den

On 20/05/2011, at 13:58, Sumith Sudhakaran <sumithtm <at> gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

exec { "start":
 command => "/usr/bin/start.sh",
 logoutput => true,
}

Error I am getting:-

err: /Stage[main]//Exec[start]/

I am able to execute this script directly.

Regards

Sumith

Sumith Sudhakaran | 20 May 10:32 2011

Re: [Puppet Users] Not able to execute shell script

Thanks for your replay

No, I just create a shell for testing  with following content.

chmod 777 /root/testfile

Nothing else .

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Denmat <tu2bgone <at> gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

What is the exit code of the script when you run manually? Does it exit with 1?

Den

On 20/05/2011, at 13:58, Sumith Sudhakaran <sumithtm <at> gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

exec { "start":
 command => "/usr/bin/start.sh",
 logoutput => true,
}

Error I am getting:-

err: /Stage[main]//Exec[start]/

I am able to execute this script directly.

Regards

Sumith

Regards

Sumith

Sumith Sudhakaran | 20 May 10:36 2011

Re: [Puppet Users] Not able to execute shell script

Thanks for your reply

No, I just create a shell for testing  with following content.

chmod 777 /root/testfile

Nothing else.

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Denmat <tu2bgone <at> gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

What is the exit code of the script when you run manually? Does it exit with 1?

Den

On 20/05/2011, at 13:58, Sumith Sudhakaran <sumithtm <at> gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

exec { "start":
 command => "/usr/bin/start.sh",
 logoutput => true,
}

Error I am getting:-

err: /Stage[main]//Exec[start]/

I am able to execute this script directly.

Regards

Sumith

Regards

Sumith

Felix Frank | 31 May 14:05 2011

Re: [Puppet Users] Not able to execute shell script

If that is the whole content of you "shell script" it's missing the
shebang line.

"""
#!/bin/sh

chmod 777 /root/testfile
"""

You're still missing a PATH variable, so this script is still a mess.

You should write a proper test script.

HTH,
Felix

On 05/20/2011 10:36 AM, Sumith Sudhakaran wrote:
> Thanks for your reply
> No, I just create a shell for testing  with following content.
> chmod 777 /root/testfile
> Nothing else.
> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Denmat <tu2bgone <at> gmail.com
> <mailto:tu2bgone <at> gmail.com>> wrote:
>     Hi,
>     What is the exit code of the script when you run manually? Does it
>     exit with 1?
>     Cheers,
>     Den

jcbollinger | 20 May 14:52 2011

[Puppet Users] Re: Not able to execute shell script

On May 19, 10:58 pm, Sumith Sudhakaran <sumit... <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> After  configuring  puppet ( 2.6.8 ) in RHEL 5 update 6, I am able to
> execute commands individually but I am not able  execute the shell script,
> its giving error only. Somebody please help me how can I execute a shell
> script in rhel5 update6 using puppetserver. hereunder  I am mentioning the
> manifests format, which i have followed
> *exec { "start":
>  command => "/usr/bin/start.sh",
>  logoutput => true,
> }*
> Error I am getting:-
> err: /Stage[main]//Exec[start]/
> returns: change from notrun to 0 failed: /usr/bin/start returned 1 instead
> of one of [0] at /etc/puppet/manifests/site.pp:7
> *I am able to execute this script directly.  *

And Puppet was able to execute it too (but see also below); that's how
it found that the exit status was 1.  Puppet expects scripts to follow
the Unix convention of exiting with status 0 when they are
successful.  Any other exit status indicates a failure of some kind.
When a command executed by a Puppet Exec exits with an error status,
the Exec fails.

I observe also, however, that the error message you report does not
appear to exactly match your Exec resource: the error message claims
to have run /usr/bin/start, whereas the exec gives the command as /usr/
bin/start.sh.  These are not equivalent, so I'm not sure what's going
on here.

John

Peter Bukowinski | 20 May 07:59 2011

Re: [Puppet Users] Not able to execute shell script

On Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 11:58 PM, Sumith Sudhakaran wrote:
Hi,
> After configuring puppet ( 2.6.8 ) in RHEL 5 update 6, I am able to execute commands individually but I am not
able execute the shell script, its giving error only. Somebody please help me how can I execute a shell
script in rhel5 update6 using puppetserver. hereunder I am mentioning the manifests format, which i have followed
> exec { "start":
> command => "/usr/bin/start.sh",
> logoutput => true,
> }
> Error I am getting:-
> err: /Stage[main]//Exec[start]/
> returns: change from notrun to 0 failed: /usr/bin/start returned 1 instead of one of [0] at /etc/puppet/manifests/site.pp:7
> I am able to execute this script directly.
> --
> Regards
> Sumith

Can you provide the content of start.sh? Failing that, when you run the script directly, does it exit with
code 0?
To test, run '/usr/bin/start.sh; echo $?'

Peter M. Bukowinski