Robert Bauer | 7 Feb 20:25 2006

Retry failed job?

Is there some magic I can do to make Hylafax retry a failed job?  I searched the archives, and this question has been asked before, but not really solved (that I could tell).  Some suggested using faxalter, but that only seems to be appropriate for active / queued jobs, not jobs that the server has given up trying to send.  I tried moving the q# file from doneq to sendq, and using faxalter, but still no luck.

Thanks,
Robert Bauer
Lee Howard | 7 Feb 20:31 2006

Re: Retry failed job?

Robert Bauer wrote:

> Is there some magic I can do to make Hylafax retry a failed job?  I 
> searched the archives, and this question has been asked before, but 
> not really solved (that I could tell).  Some suggested using faxalter, 
> but that only seems to be appropriate for active / queued jobs, not 
> jobs that the server has given up trying to send.  I tried moving the 
> q# file from doneq to sendq, and using faxalter, but still no luck.

It is possible for a client program to re-queue a job by reading the 
doneq file and creating a new sendq file using the relevant information 
from it.  However, none of the utility clients that come with HylaFAX 
currently do this, maybe some other 3rd party client programs do.

Thanks,

Lee.

____________________ HylaFAX(tm) Users Mailing List _______________________
  To subscribe/unsubscribe, click http://lists.hylafax.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi
 On UNIX: mail -s unsubscribe hylafax-users-request <at> hylafax.org < /dev/null
  *To learn about commercial HylaFAX(tm) support, mail sales <at> ifax.com.*

Robert Bauer | 7 Feb 21:13 2006

Re: Retry failed job?

Thanks Lee.  I'll probably whip up a short script to do just that.  Can I create the sendq file directly, or is it best to just resubmit via sendfax?

Robert Bauer

Lee Howard wrote:
Robert Bauer wrote:

Is there some magic I can do to make Hylafax retry a failed job?  I searched the archives, and this question has been asked before, but not really solved (that I could tell).  Some suggested using faxalter, but that only seems to be appropriate for active / queued jobs, not jobs that the server has given up trying to send.  I tried moving the q# file from doneq to sendq, and using faxalter, but still no luck.


It is possible for a client program to re-queue a job by reading the doneq file and creating a new sendq file using the relevant information from it.  However, none of the utility clients that come with HylaFAX currently do this, maybe some other 3rd party client programs do.

Thanks,

Lee.


Lee Howard | 7 Feb 21:34 2006

Re: Retry failed job?

Robert Bauer wrote:

> Thanks Lee.  I'll probably whip up a short script to do just that.  
> Can I create the sendq file directly, or is it best to just resubmit 
> via sendfax?

Well, if you're looking to script the process and not use the 
client-server (hfaxd) protocol, then...

  http://bugs.hylafax.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=334

The resendfax.pl script can be found here:

  http://www.hylafax.org/archive/1999-08/msg00059.php

Lee.

____________________ HylaFAX(tm) Users Mailing List _______________________
  To subscribe/unsubscribe, click http://lists.hylafax.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi
 On UNIX: mail -s unsubscribe hylafax-users-request <at> hylafax.org < /dev/null
  *To learn about commercial HylaFAX(tm) support, mail sales <at> ifax.com.*

Lee Howard | 7 Feb 21:41 2006

Re: Retry failed job?

Lee Howard wrote:

> Robert Bauer wrote:
>
>> Thanks Lee.  I'll probably whip up a short script to do just that.  
>> Can I create the sendq file directly, or is it best to just resubmit 
>> via sendfax?
>
>
>
> Well, if you're looking to script the process and not use the 
> client-server (hfaxd) protocol, then...
>
>  http://bugs.hylafax.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=334
>
> The resendfax.pl script can be found here:
>
>  http://www.hylafax.org/archive/1999-08/msg00059.php 

Well, it actually looks like Phil's perl script *uses* hfaxd protocol to 
do its task.  How nice.  :-)

Lee.

____________________ HylaFAX(tm) Users Mailing List _______________________
  To subscribe/unsubscribe, click http://lists.hylafax.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi
 On UNIX: mail -s unsubscribe hylafax-users-request <at> hylafax.org < /dev/null
  *To learn about commercial HylaFAX(tm) support, mail sales <at> ifax.com.*

Ludovic Pepin | 7 Feb 21:37 2006

Re: Retry failed job?

Well, I had a hard time with this one myself, but it was for pages. Maybe the following will help you.

 

When I send a page using the sendpage command, if I do not specify the service level, it is defaulted to level 0. Now, at level 0, the default kill time for the job is pretty fast, something like 5 minutes. So if hylafax tries to send the page, and say, gets a busy line, or no answer, it would normally attempt to resend it later, in a couple of minutes. The problem is that the server kills the job when it is past its kill time.

 

If this is what happens to your fax jobs, take a look at the file hfaxd.conf. You will find at the bottom of the file :

 

# The following three items define the mapping from

# SNPP service level to job scheduling priority and

# expiration (kill) time.  Each item should have a

# list of 12 values that define the mapping for service

# levels 0 through 11 (first item is level 0, second

# item level 1, ... etc.).

#

#PriorityMap:           "63 127 127 127 127 127 127  127  127  127  127  127"

#RetryTimeMap:          "30  60  60 180   0   0   0    0    0    0    0    0"

#KillTimeMap:           " 5   5   5  15  60 240 720 1440 1440 1440 1440 1440"

 

I had to change it to this :

 

#PriorityMap:           "63 127 127 127 127 127 127  127  127  127  127  127"

#RetryTimeMap:          "30  60  60 180   0   0   0    0    0    0    0    0"

KillTimeMap:            "60  60  60  15  60 240 720 1440 1440 1440 1440 1440"

 

So the default kill time for level 0 is 60 minutes instead of 5.

 

Hope this helps

 

Ludovic

 

 

From: hylafax-users-bounce <at> hylafax.org [mailto:hylafax-users-bounce <at> hylafax.org] On Behalf Of Robert Bauer
Sent: February 7, 2006 2:25 PM
To: hylafax-users <at> hylafax.org
Subject: [hylafax-users] Retry failed job?

 

Is there some magic I can do to make Hylafax retry a failed job?  I searched the archives, and this question has been asked before, but not really solved (that I could tell).  Some suggested using faxalter, but that only seems to be appropriate for active / queued jobs, not jobs that the server has given up trying to send.  I tried moving the q# file from doneq to sendq, and using faxalter, but still no luck.

Thanks,

Robert Bauer

Ludovic Pepin | 7 Feb 21:17 2006

Re: Retry failed job?

Well, I had a hard time with this one myself, but it was for pages. Maybe the following will help you.

 

When I send a page using the sendpage command, if I do not specify the service level, it is defaulted to level 0. Now, at level 0, the default kill time for the job is pretty fast, something like 5 minutes. So if hylafax tries to send the page, and say, gets a busy line, or no answer, it would normally attempt to resend it later, in a couple of minutes. The problem is that the server kills the job when it is past its kill time.

 

If this is what happens to your fax jobs, take a look at the file hfaxd.conf. You will find at the bottom of the file :

 

# The following three items define the mapping from

# SNPP service level to job scheduling priority and

# expiration (kill) time.  Each item should have a

# list of 12 values that define the mapping for service

# levels 0 through 11 (first item is level 0, second

# item level 1, ... etc.).

#

#PriorityMap:           "63 127 127 127 127 127 127  127  127  127  127  127"

#RetryTimeMap:          "30  60  60 180   0   0   0    0    0    0    0    0"

#KillTimeMap:           " 5   5   5  15  60 240 720 1440 1440 1440 1440 1440"

 

I had to change it to this :

 

#PriorityMap:           "63 127 127 127 127 127 127  127  127  127  127  127"

#RetryTimeMap:          "30  60  60 180   0   0   0    0    0    0    0    0"

KillTimeMap:            "60  60  60  15  60 240 720 1440 1440 1440 1440 1440"

 

So the default kill time for level 0 is 60 minutes instead of 5.

 

Hope this helps

 

Ludovic

 

 

From: hylafax-users-bounce <at> hylafax.org [mailto:hylafax-users-bounce <at> hylafax.org] On Behalf Of Robert Bauer
Sent: February 7, 2006 2:25 PM
To: hylafax-users <at> hylafax.org
Subject: [hylafax-users] Retry failed job?

 

Is there some magic I can do to make Hylafax retry a failed job?  I searched the archives, and this question has been asked before, but not really solved (that I could tell).  Some suggested using faxalter, but that only seems to be appropriate for active / queued jobs, not jobs that the server has given up trying to send.  I tried moving the q# file from doneq to sendq, and using faxalter, but still no luck.

Thanks,

Robert Bauer


Gmane