Chris Bourke | 4 Mar 20:28 2005

Beamer-colors

I'm writing my own presentation theme, but the user guide is unclear; it
says that the BEAMER-color called titlelike is used for the title and
subtitle *of the presentation*, but what is theBEAMER-color used for each
*frame* title and subtitle?  I've tried several obvious ones, but with no
luck.  Furthe more, the list of BEAMER-colors in the user guide does not
seem to be complete; is there a more comprehensive list of buildt-in
BEAMER-colors?

Finally, I asked this question before but never got an answer.  I'm
modifying the PaloAlto theme and I'm using a lighter color theme (for the
sidebar and the frame title bar), but since its lighter, I'd like to
offset it better with the restof the presentation.  In particular, I'd
like a small black outline/border to the sidebar and titlebar.  Perhaps
even a drop shadow like the beamerboxes.  How might one do this?

Till Tantau | 11 Mar 12:42 2005
Picon

Re: Beamer-colors

On Freitag, 4. März 2005 20:28, Chris Bourke wrote:
> I'm writing my own presentation theme, but the user guide is unclear; it
> says that the BEAMER-color called titlelike is used for the title and
> subtitle *of the presentation*, but what is theBEAMER-color used for each
> *frame* title and subtitle?  I've tried several obvious ones, but with no
> luck.  Furthe more, the list of BEAMER-colors in the user guide does not
> seem to be complete; is there a more comprehensive list of buildt-in
> BEAMER-colors?

Hi!

hmm... They are *supposed* to be documented around the description of
\frametitle and should be called "frametitle" and "framesubtitle". But I'm
not sure, myself...

Anyway, the easiest way to find out what's available is to peek into the file
"beamer/themes/color/beamercolorthemedefault.sty". That, to my knowledge,
lists everything used by any theme. Similarly, beamerfontthemedefault.sty
might be interesting to look at.

> Finally, I asked this question before but never got an answer.  I'm
> modifying the PaloAlto theme and I'm using a lighter color theme (for the
> sidebar and the frame title bar), but since its lighter, I'd like to
> offset it better with the restof the presentation.  In particular, I'd
> like a small black outline/border to the sidebar and titlebar.  Perhaps
> even a drop shadow like the beamerboxes.  How might one do this?

Tricky... You'll need to do a fair amount of shifting boxes around, possibly
clipping them and then unskipping so that TeX does not "see" these boxes.

(Continue reading)

Chris Bourke | 11 Mar 14:57 2005

Re: Beamer-colors

> On Freitag, 4. Mrz 2005 20:28, Chris Bourke wrote:
> > I'm writing my own presentation theme, but the user guide is unclear; it
> > says that the BEAMER-color called titlelike is used for the title and
> > subtitle *of the presentation*, but what is theBEAMER-color used for each
> > *frame* title and subtitle?  I've tried several obvious ones, but with no
> > luck.  Furthe more, the list of BEAMER-colors in the user guide does not
> > seem to be complete; is there a more comprehensive list of buildt-in
> > BEAMER-colors?
>
> Hi!
>
> hmm... They are *supposed* to be documented around the description of

Yes, sorry; I found this out by looking over some of the other theme
files.  Just a suggestion, though: you may want to gather all of the
built-in BEAMER-colors, fonts, etc. in one nice table for quick reference
in the docs.

I offer my help in this regard--I can make a latex table if you like.

> > Finally, I asked this question before but never got an answer.  I'm
> > modifying the PaloAlto theme and I'm using a lighter color theme (for the
> > sidebar and the frame title bar), but since its lighter, I'd like to
> > offset it better with the restof the presentation.  In particular, I'd
> > like a small black outline/border to the sidebar and titlebar.  Perhaps
> > even a drop shadow like the beamerboxes.  How might one do this?
>
> Tricky... You'll need to do a fair amount of shifting boxes around, possibly
> clipping them and then unskipping so that TeX does not "see" these boxes.
(Continue reading)

Till Tantau | 16 Mar 12:11 2005
Picon

Re: Beamer-colors

On Freitag, 11. März 2005 14:57, Chris Bourke wrote:

> Yes, sorry; I found this out by looking over some of the other theme
> files.  Just a suggestion, though: you may want to gather all of the
> built-in BEAMER-colors, fonts, etc. in one nice table for quick reference
> in the docs.
>
> I offer my help in this regard--I can make a latex table if you like.

Well, they *should* be listed in the index, but a table might be a good idea.
Actually, a diagram showing all the dependecies would be even better... All
help is certainly most appreciated.

> Yes, i've tried shifting, but unfortunately, in each frame, the template
> is executed when the current position is at the end of typesetting each
> section/subsection.  What would solve the problem is if I could calculate
> (somehow) the distance from the top of the sidebartab to the current
> position, something like
>
> (sidebartab title height) + (sidebartab author height) + (number of
> sections) * (sidebartab section height) + (number of *printed*
> subsections) * (sidebartab subsections height)
>
> I say *printed* because I'm allowing an option of hideothersubsections.
>
> If there is a way to get all of these parameters, then I think I could do
> it.

Sorry, these seems *somewhat* difficult to obtain especially since they could
be multilined. No easy way out, here. Perhaps this might be an interesting