manan ahmed | 9 Jul 16:05 2007

unicode characters

On behalf of a number of humanities scholars using LaTex, I am
wondering if there is an easier way to do transliteration without all
the h\=a\d{s}\d{s}l\u{e}? Currently, I have macros set up for the
most common words I use but that method is failing to work efficiently.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

manan

Bruno Voisin | 9 Jul 16:59 2007
Picon

Re: unicode characters

Le 9 juil. 07 à 16:05, manan ahmed a écrit :

> On behalf of a number of humanities scholars using LaTex, I am
> wondering if there is an easier way to do transliteration without
> all the h\=a\d{s}\d{s}l\u{e}? Currently, I have macros set up for
> the most common words I use but that method is failing to work
> efficiently.
>
> Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

You can use XeLaTeX, which takes UTF-8 files as input and can use any
font installed on your OS X system. It's now a standard part of
TeXLive, and is installed with both MacTeX/TeXLive-2007 and gwTeX.

There's a web page with greater detail:

<http://scripts.sil.org/xetex>

and a dedicated mailing list (with many members from the humanities
community, as you'll see):

An example of input file:

%!TEX TS-program = xelatex
%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}
\usepackage[cm-default]{fontspec}
\usepackage{xunicode,xltxtra}
(Continue reading)

Bruno Voisin | 9 Jul 17:10 2007
Picon

Re: unicode characters

Le 9 juil. 07 à 16:59, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> \nonindent h\=a\d{s}\d{s}l\u{e}

I meant \noindent, not \nonindent (which will produce an error
message). Sorry.

Bruno Voisin

Bruno Voisin | 11 Jul 09:34 2007
Picon

Re: unicode characters

Le 9 juil. 07 à 16:59, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> Le 9 juil. 07 à 16:05, manan ahmed a écrit :
> See also the contents of
>
> /Library/TeX/Documentation/texmf-dist-doc/xetex
> /Library/TeX/Documentation/texmf-dist-doc/xelatex
>
> I think there's also a XeTeX showcase included somewhere in the
> distribution, but I can't find where it is right now.

Answering my own question: the XeTeX showcase is not part of any TeX
distribution per se. It is included instead in the Demos section of
the MacTeXtras additional install available from <http://www.tug.org/
mactex/> (see the MaxTeXtras section near the bottom of the page),
and is identical to the online showcase at <http://www.tug.org/mactex/
src/Demos/XeTeX-showcase/>.

Bruno Voisin

Jonathan Kew | 9 Jul 17:01 2007

Re: unicode characters

On 9 Jul 2007, at 3:05 pm, manan ahmed wrote:

> On behalf of a number of humanities scholars using LaTex, I am
> wondering if there is an easier way to do transliteration without
> all the h\=a\d{s}\d{s}l\u{e}? Currently, I have macros set up for
> the most common words I use but that method is failing to work
> efficiently.

If you're running TeX Live 2007, or a distribution based on it (e.g,
MacTeX, gwTeX), you have access to xelatex, which provides built-in
Unicode support using standard TrueType/OpenType fonts.

%%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
%%!TEX TS-program = XeLaTeX

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec} % to select fonts in XeLaTeX
\usepackage{xunicode} % for backward compatibility with macros like
\u, \d, etc
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text} % compatibility with TeX
ligatures --- etc
\setmainfont{Lucida Grande} % or Times Roman, or Charis SIL, or
whatever...

\begin{document}
You can type whatever Unicode characters your font supports;
no need for any hāṣṣlĕ with \LaTeX\ macros.
\end{document}

(This assumes you have convenient keyboard access to the various
(Continue reading)

Peter Dyballa | 9 Jul 17:18 2007
Picon

Re: unicode characters

Am 09.07.2007 um 16:05 schrieb manan ahmed:

> I am wondering if there is an easier way to do transliteration
> without all the h\=a\d{s}\d{s}l\u{e}?

No "transliteration" at all? Can't you programme your keyboard to
insert these characters instead of those Apple as set as default when
pressing the Option (alt) key?

Another option would be Character Palette. It can save your
"favorites" so that you do not need to search through the character
blocks of Unicode.

Then there is the US extended keyboard layout (U.S. flag with a U
below). It has some interesting dead keys which allow to create
characters like this ħāšṡḷĕ ...

Finally you can choose the Unicode hex input keyboard layout (U+
symbol). While holding down the Option (alt) key you can input 1234
which will result in ሴ or 0245 (Ʌ) or ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

A morning without coffee is like something without something else.

Peter Dyballa | 9 Jul 17:38 2007
Picon

Re: unicode characters

Am 09.07.2007 um 17:18 schrieb Peter Dyballa:

> No "transliteration" at all?

And of course I meant to use XeTeX or XeLaTeX! (There is some Unicode
support in "regular" LaTeX: \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc})

--
Greetings

   Pete

There are three types of people in this world: those who can count,
and those who cannot.