David Guichard | 22 Mar 17:19 2012

tikz breaks topinsert

On a new ubuntu install (11.10) with pgf 2.10-1, whenever I load tikz
topinserts disappear--they just never show up in the output. This
happens even if I don't use tikz. I reverted to 2.00 and things are
fine. This is a terrible bug! I spent days before I tracked it to
tikz.

-- David

This SF email is sponsosred by:
http://p.sf.net/sfu/sfd2d-msazure
Philip TAYLOR | 22 Mar 18:19 2012
Picon

Re: tikz breaks topinsert

David Guichard wrote:

 > On a new ubuntu install (11.10) with pgf 2.10-1, whenever I load tikz
 > topinserts disappear--they just never show up in the output. This
 > happens even if I don't use tikz. I reverted to 2.00 and things are
 > fine. This is a terrible bug! I spent days before I tracked it to
 > tikz.

I seem to recall that TikZ/PGF steals \end, and causes
it to do very nasty and unexpected things if one is
unlucky.  I also recall it took me a very long
time to track this down [1]. [2].

Philip Taylor
--------
[1]

I regret I don't know which version of TikZ I was using until today,
but having been advised that certain functionality w.r.t. TeXshop
could be achieved only by updating to a more recent version,
I performed a "TLMGR update all" on my TL 2010 installation.
The behaviour of TikZ has now changed dramatically and disastrously.

Whereas before today the following would centre "Hallo" vertically
on the page :

     \hrule width 0 pt depth 0 pt height 0 pt
     \input TikZ
     \vfill
(Continue reading)

Ingo Krabbe | 2 Apr 11:20 2012
Picon

Re: tikz breaks topinsert

I don't know if it breaks topinsert, but I think such problems might be solved by restoring shipout, which I
do on every tikz inclusion:

\let\oldShipout\shipout\input tikz\let\shipout\oldShipout

This helped me to use tikz in quite customized environments without any negative effects in tikz itself, as
far as I tried/used it.