Duncan Murdoch | 10 Aug 03:38 2010
Picon

Synctex with texi2dvi?

I've just installed Ubuntu to try to get Sweave and TexWorks going
there.  I've got TexLive installed.  I had been using texi2dvi in
MikTex in Windows, but now the texi2dvi option
--tex-options=-synctex=1 doesn't work.  Is there some way to tell
texi2dvi to pass the synctex option to pdflatex?

Bruno Voisin | 10 Aug 20:48 2010

Re: Synctex with texi2dvi?

On 10 août 2010, at 03:38, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> I've just installed Ubuntu to try to get Sweave and TexWorks going
> there.  I've got TexLive installed.  I had been using texi2dvi in
> MikTex in Windows, but now the texi2dvi option
> --tex-options=-synctex=1 doesn't work.  Is there some way to tell
> texi2dvi to pass the synctex option to pdflatex?

This must be a MikTeX-specific extension. Here on the Mac texi2dvi and texi2pdf are part of the OS (they're
installed in /usr/bin) and they don't include any option for passing on arguments to (pdf)TeX:

	$ texi2dvi --help
	[...]

	Operation modes:
	  -b, --batch         no interaction
	  -c, --clean         remove all auxiliary files
	  -D, --debug         turn on shell debugging (set -x)
	  -h, --help          display this help and exit successfully
	  -o, --output=OFILE  leave output in OFILE (implies --clean);
	                      Only one input FILE may be specified in this case
	  -q, --quiet         no output unless errors (implies --batch)
	  -s, --silent        same as --quiet
	  -v, --version       display version information and exit successfully
	  -V, --verbose       report on what is done

	TeX tuning:
	  - <at>                    use  <at> input instead of \input; for preloaded Texinfo
	  -e, -E, --expand     force macro expansion using makeinfo
	  -I DIR               search DIR for Texinfo files
(Continue reading)

Duncan Murdoch | 10 Aug 21:11 2010
Picon

Re: Synctex with texi2dvi?

On 10/08/2010 2:48 PM, Bruno Voisin wrote:
> On 10 août 2010, at 03:38, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>
> > I've just installed Ubuntu to try to get Sweave and TexWorks going
> > there.  I've got TexLive installed.  I had been using texi2dvi in
> > MikTex in Windows, but now the texi2dvi option
> > --tex-options=-synctex=1 doesn't work.  Is there some way to tell
> > texi2dvi to pass the synctex option to pdflatex?
>
> This must be a MikTeX-specific extension. Here on the Mac texi2dvi and texi2pdf are part of the OS (they're
installed in /usr/bin) and they don't include any option for passing on arguments to (pdf)TeX:
>
> 	$ texi2dvi --help
> 	[...]
>
> 	Operation modes:
> 	  -b, --batch         no interaction
> 	  -c, --clean         remove all auxiliary files
> 	  -D, --debug         turn on shell debugging (set -x)
> 	  -h, --help          display this help and exit successfully
> 	  -o, --output=OFILE  leave output in OFILE (implies --clean);
> 	                      Only one input FILE may be specified in this case
> 	  -q, --quiet         no output unless errors (implies --batch)
> 	  -s, --silent        same as --quiet
> 	  -v, --version       display version information and exit successfully
> 	  -V, --verbose       report on what is done
>
> 	TeX tuning:
> 	  - <at>                    use  <at> input instead of \input; for preloaded Texinfo
> 	  -e, -E, --expand     force macro expansion using makeinfo
(Continue reading)

Reinhard Kotucha | 10 Aug 22:52 2010
Picon

Re: Synctex with texi2dvi?

On 10 August 2010 Bruno Voisin wrote:

 > 	#!/bin/tcsh
 > 	set TEX= ("$TEX --synctex=1")
 > 	set PDFTEX= ("$PDFTEX --synctex=1")
 > 	texi2dvi "$1"

Doesn't OS X provide a Bourne compatible shell (/bin/sh)?  I don't
have OS X.  I'm aware that OS X is a BSD system and csh is the default
login (interactive) shell on BSD.  But I suppose that one can expect
that /bin/sh exists on BSD sytems too.  Is this assumption true?

If yes, which Bourne compatible shell is used?  Is /bin/sh a link to
/bin/bash?

Regards,
  Reinhard

--

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reinhard Kotucha			              Phone: +49-511-3373112
Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover	                      mailto:reinhard.kotucha@...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft isn't the answer. Microsoft is the question, and the answer is NO.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Herbert Schulz | 10 Aug 22:58 2010
Picon

Re: Synctex with texi2dvi?


On Aug 10, 2010, at 3:52 PM, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> On 10 August 2010 Bruno Voisin wrote:
> 
>> 	#!/bin/tcsh
>> 	set TEX= ("$TEX --synctex=1")
>> 	set PDFTEX= ("$PDFTEX --synctex=1")
>> 	texi2dvi "$1"
> 
> Doesn't OS X provide a Bourne compatible shell (/bin/sh)?  I don't
> have OS X.  I'm aware that OS X is a BSD system and csh is the default
> login (interactive) shell on BSD.  But I suppose that one can expect
> that /bin/sh exists on BSD sytems too.  Is this assumption true?
> 
> If yes, which Bourne compatible shell is used?  Is /bin/sh a link to
> /bin/bash?
> 
> Regards,
>  Reinhard

Howdy,

Actually, the default shell for OS X for quite a few versions now (I don't remember when it changed from tcsh)
is bash.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
(Continue reading)


Gmane