John Lofgren | 16 Jan 18:17 2012

Simple Super Ripple Eater

There have been discussions in the past about ways to reduce regulator output noise or clean-up oscillator
or voltage reference power supplies.  Here's an article from Design Ideas in Electronic Design that looks
promising.  It has pretty decent rejection even at 1 Hz.

http://electronicdesign.com/article/power/Simple-Super-Ripple-Eater-Also-Cleans-Battery-Based-Supply.aspx

Note that the figures don't display properly (at least in Firefox) with anything but the embedded links in
the text.

- John

michael taylor | 16 Jan 18:48 2012
Picon

Re: Simple Super Ripple Eater

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM, John Lofgren <jlofgren <at> lsr.com> wrote:
> There have been discussions in the past about ways to reduce regulator output noise or clean-up
oscillator or voltage reference power supplies.  Here's an article from Design Ideas in Electronic
Design that looks promising.  It has pretty decent rejection even at 1 Hz.

> http://electronicdesign.com/article/power/Simple-Super-Ripple-Eater-Also-Cleans-Battery-Based-Supply.aspx

Am I wrong in assuming this is a similar to a circuit mentioned in
time-nuts in the past in regards to voltage regulator noise, "Finesse
Voltage Regulator Noise!" from Wenzel Associates?
<http://www.wenzel.com/documents/finesse.html>

and follow the instructions there.
David | 16 Jan 19:00 2012

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 12:48:24 -0500, michael taylor <mctylr@...>
wrote:

>On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM, John Lofgren <jlofgren@...> wrote:
>> There have been discussions in the past about ways to reduce regulator output noise or clean-up
oscillator or voltage reference power supplies.  Here's an article from Design Ideas in Electronic
Design that looks promising.  It has pretty decent rejection even at 1 Hz.

>> http://electronicdesign.com/article/power/Simple-Super-Ripple-Eater-Also-Cleans-Battery-Based-Supply.aspx
>
>Am I wrong in assuming this is a similar to a circuit mentioned in
>time-nuts in the past in regards to voltage regulator noise, "Finesse
>Voltage Regulator Noise!" from Wenzel Associates?
><http://www.wenzel.com/documents/finesse.html>

It is a series configuration instead of a shunt configuration.  They
both accomplish the same thing but in different ways.  The Wenzel
design requires gain matching but should be unconditionally stable.

ehydra | 16 Jan 19:44 2012
Picon

Re: Simple Super Ripple Eater

Here is a hand-corrected version:
http://ehydra.dyndns.info/NG/time-nuts/Simple%20power%20supply%20ripple%20rejection%20for%20battery%20systems.zip

- Henry

John Lofgren schrieb:
> There have been discussions in the past about ways to reduce regulator output noise or clean-up
oscillator or voltage reference power supplies.  Here's an article from Design Ideas in Electronic
Design that looks promising.  It has pretty decent rejection even at 1 Hz.

> http://electronicdesign.com/article/power/Simple-Super-Ripple-Eater-Also-Cleans-Battery-Based-Supply.aspx
>
> Note that the figures don't display properly (at least in Firefox) with anything but the embedded links in
the text.

ehydra.dyndns.info

Gmane