Tim Parenti | 20 Sep 15:34 2011

Ukraine adopts UTC+3 year-round

While I support any effort to create a "unified" abbreviation designation for the new UTC+3 year-round zone to be observed by Belarus and Ukraine (and perhaps even Kaliningrad), I don't think that using "EEST" year-round is necessarily a good idea, especially for zones which are geographically contiguous to others that will be shifting back to EET in October.  The similarities in designation could cause confusion in border regions.

Furthermore, continuing to call the time "Summer Time" through the winter doesn't make any sense, especially if we're codifying the new zone as UTC+3+0 (standard offset year-round), rather than UTC+2+1, which it seems we are indeed doing.

That said, I don't have any better suggestions for a unified designation off the top of my head.  I think "UAT" would serve decently for Ukraine's four tz zones, at least unless and until something more "unifying" can be devised.

--
Tim Parenti