Matt Good | 1 Nov 07:56 2006
Picon

Re: - Methods for Decentral Branching

The easiest way I've found to do distributed version control with
Subversion is via SVK.  It lets you mirror a Subversion repository,
record your local changes, and continue to merge in upstream changes.

See http://svk.bestpractical.com/view/HomePage

-- Matt Good

Ilias Lazaridis | 10 Nov 15:04 2006

Matt Good wrote:
> The easiest way I've found to do distributed version control with
> Subversion is via SVK.  It lets you mirror a Subversion repository,
> record your local changes, and continue to merge in upstream changes.
>
> See http://svk.bestpractical.com/view/HomePage

If I understand right, this tools is for local branches which are _not_
published on a remote server.

-

I've currently this setup:

my decentral branch repository:

http://dev.lazaridis.com/base/browser/infra/trac-dev

I've a standard local working copy of this.

I've a standard local working copy of the original trac-dev-repo, too.

-

I do my custom changes within the local trac-dev-repo copy.

I checkout new versions of trac, detecting conflicts and doing the
merges manually.

(Continue reading)

Matt Good | 10 Nov 20:43 2006

Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
> Matt Good wrote:
> > The easiest way I've found to do distributed version control with
> > Subversion is via SVK.  It lets you mirror a Subversion repository,
> > record your local changes, and continue to merge in upstream changes.
> >
> > See http://svk.bestpractical.com/view/HomePage
>
> If I understand right, this tools is for local branches which are _not_
> published on a remote server.

No, it's also supposed to support merging changes between different
remote repositories.  I've never used that feature myself, so I can't
tell you quite how it works.

-- Matt Good