thomas | 3 Nov 11:09 2006
Picon

spamfilter plugin - too many false positives

hey folks,

for some weeks we are using the spamfilter-plugin on trac 0.10 since we
got too many ticket-spams previously.

Unfortunately nearly every (or really every) ticket-comment seems to be
found as being spam by akismet.
Are really correct messages sent to them in those cases? Or is it the
anonymous user which is set then?
For now it seems like we need to disable akismet in the plugin which
leaves us without the most protection in there.
dnsblacklist doesn't want to work on the gentoo-server even though I
installed the library through portage. Same for spambayes
unfortunately.
Only thing left is the url-filter and the regexps which is much less
than what the plugin can do.

Btw. any dedicated list / forum for plugins or the spamfilter plugin?

Thanks,

thomas

Christopher Lenz | 3 Nov 11:24 2006

Re: spamfilter plugin - too many false positives

Am 03.11.2006 um 11:09 schrieb thomas:
> hey folks,
>
> for some weeks we are using the spamfilter-plugin on trac 0.10
> since we
> got too many ticket-spams previously.

See <http://www.cmlenz.net/blog/2006/11/managing_trac_s.html> for
some background info.

> Unfortunately nearly every (or really every) ticket-comment seems
> to be
> found as being spam by akismet.
> Are really correct messages sent to them in those cases? Or is it the
> anonymous user which is set then?
> For now it seems like we need to disable akismet in the plugin which
> leaves us without the most protection in there.
> dnsblacklist doesn't want to work on the gentoo-server even though I
> installed the library through portage. Same for spambayes
> unfortunately.

You'll have to jump through some (relatively minor) hoops to get the
installation of dnspython and SpamBayes detected by the SpamFilter.
Basically, both need to be installed in a way that is compatible with
Python Eggs / pkg_resources, likely by using easy_install instead of
portage.

For dnspython:

(Continue reading)

thomas | 6 Nov 10:13 2006
Picon

Re: spamfilter plugin - too many false positives

Hi Christopher,

Christopher Lenz wrote:

> See <http://www.cmlenz.net/blog/2006/11/managing_trac_s.html> for
> some background info.

Thanks for the work you put into this.
Still I think its strange that there are so many false positives with
akismet.
I'm using it for some forums and it barely gets one false positive
there.
Therefore I'm just guessing that its something special in the
trac-messages which makes it trigger which could be simply the
(default) name "anonymous" or something.

The way it stands now, akismet is unfortunately kinda useless for
spam-protection of trac installs.