anatoly techtonik | 4 Jun 11:15 2010
Picon

[Trac-dev] Trac forms are not restored on browser crash

My FF crashes at least twice per week and now it did it while I was
editing a new page.
Usually FF restores text in TextAreas at the point of crash, but Trac
doesn't display any form.
It says "The page TracDev/TracURLs does not exist. You can create it here.".
Damn. I can't express how this suxx, because I've just lost a part of
research of TracURLs that
I've being written during the last hour. Another discouraging fact is
that I am not an English
native and it takes more effort for me to stack the words in correct order.

Damn.
--
anatoly t.

Eirik Schwenke | 7 Jun 08:44 2010

Re: [Trac-dev] Trac forms are not restored on browser crash

anatoly techtonik skrev 04. juni 2010 11:15:
> My FF crashes at least twice per week and now it did it while I was
> editing a new page.
> Usually FF restores text in TextAreas at the point of crash, but Trac
> doesn't display any form.
> It says "The page TracDev/TracURLs does not exist. You can create it here.".
> Damn. I can't express how this suxx, because I've just lost a part of
> research of TracURLs that
> I've being written during the last hour. Another discouraging fact is
> that I am not an English
> native and it takes more effort for me to stack the words in correct order.
>
> Damn.

Disclaimer: I've yet to contribute any changes to trac, so take the
following comments with an appropriate amount of salt:

I'm not sure why trac behaves differently here, than other web apps you
are using, but I'd guess it has to do with preventing cross side
scripting (ie: unique post-tokens pr form or something similar that
prevents caching).

I long since stopped trusting web forms to hold my "drafts", and started
manually saving changes -- for webmail that means using the "save draft"
function, for trac, it generally means incremental edits.

I see how the latter might be a problem -- with cluttered change
history. You might want to have a look at the "It's all
text!"-plug-in[1], that gives you the ability to use an external editor
for every text-input. With eg. vim you'll then get a "free"