Julie Tittler | 1 Jun 05:30 2007

[Trac] Problems setting up Trac

I'm not really a networking person. I'm an off-site software engineer
mom who works from home. I've been given the task of hosting and
managing or CM and RM systems for our team. I managed to get Trac to
work with Subversion running on port 8000 with tracd. But I want to get
it to run through Apache so I can use SSL and link it in with a custom
project portal. Trac is only one aspect of it. I keep getting redirect
errors for my Trac project. Any ideas would be great. Below you will
find my virtual-hosts config. Oh, I know python is working because I did
a basic "Hello World" test on a different VH on the same Apache server,
not the trac VH. I haven't even started with Trac permissions yet. I
just wanted to get the site visible first. I must say that this is the
first Apache server I've ever run (I usually work IIS projects), so I
know I must be doing something obviously stupid.

Thank you kindly,
Julie

---------------------------------------
virtual hosts.conf
---------------------------------------
NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost itt-trac.tittlers.net:80>
    ServerName itt-trac.tittlers.net
    DocumentRoot "C:/Trac"
    <Location />
        SetHandler mod_python
        PythonHandler trac.web.modpython_frontend
        PythonOption TracEnvParentDir "C:/Trac"
(Continue reading)

Emmanuel Blot | 1 Jun 12:47 2007
Picon

[Trac] Re: Problems setting up Trac

>     DocumentRoot "C:/Trac"
^^^^
You probably don't want to do this (anyway it's useless)
(define this to an empty dir outside Trac tree, for example)

>         PythonOption TracEnvParentDir "C:/Trac"
Just checking: c:\Trac contains several Trac projects on your machine,
is that it?

> <VirtualHost itt.tittlers.net:80>
>     ServerName itt.tittlers.net
>     RedirectPermanent / https://itt.tittlers.net/
> </VirtualHost>

I guess this is the main issue: what do you want to achieve here ^^^ ?

HTTPS usually use port 443, NOT 80 which is dedicated to HTTP

If you want to access all your Trac environments, first define your
virtual host to server 443 port (ie the first two lines of your config
file should not use :80).

Once everything works with https://, that is you can successfully
reach Trac using  <at>  https://itt.tittlers.net/... you'll want to add the
redirect instructions so that HTTP  requests (on port 80) are
redirected to secured HTTPS (port :443). Proceed one step after
another:
first get it work on https, then update your server config for
redirecting standard requests.
(Continue reading)

Julie Tittler | 8 Jun 14:23 2007

[Trac] Re: Problems setting up Trac

I got it working. Thanks. I had to do the definition in my SSL config
file and assign Trac its own port. Now Trac works just fine.

Thanks for the help,
Julie