Mikael Relbe | 2 Apr 08:34 2012
Picon

[Trac] Interpretation of ticket severity

I have recently realised that I may have misinterpreted the meaning of the
ticket field “severity”.

The word “severity” can be translated to Swedish in two ways, given by
context (AFAIK):

 1. Degree of difficulty ("svårighetsgrad):
    How hard (difficult) is it to fix this?
    (Or: How bad is our life going to be trying to fix this?)

 2. Degree of seriousness ("allvarlighetsgrad"):
    How serious is it if we don't fix this?
    (Or: How bad is our life going to be if we don't fix this?)

Until now I thought 2 applied in the context of Trac, but am starting to
think this is wrong.

How do you interpret "severity"; "difficulty" or "seriousness"?

Regards,
Mikael Relbe (mrelbe)

Eduard-Cristian Stefan | 2 Apr 08:54 2012
Picon

Re: [Trac] Interpretation of ticket severity

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 09:34, Mikael Relbe <mikael@...> wrote:
> How do you interpret "severity"; "difficulty" or "seriousness"?

seriousness

The end user usually don't care how difficult is it to solve, it just
knows how impacted he is by the bug.

Have a nice day,
  Eduard

Patrick Schaaf | 2 Apr 09:51 2012
Picon

Re: [Trac] Interpretation of ticket severity

> The word “severity” can be translated to Swedish in two ways, given by
> context (AFAIK):
>
>  1. Degree of difficulty ("svårighetsgrad):
>     How hard (difficult) is it to fix this?
>     (Or: How bad is our life going to be trying to fix this?)
>
>  2. Degree of seriousness ("allvarlighetsgrad"):
>     How serious is it if we don't fix this?
>     (Or: How bad is our life going to be if we don't fix this?)
>
> Until now I thought 2 applied in the context of Trac, but am starting to
> think this is wrong.
>
> How do you interpret "severity"; "difficulty" or "seriousness"?

The person I inherited our trac setup from, interpreted it as
difficulty, in the sense of an estimate of the time needed to work on
the ticket. It is, however, almost never used, and I will remove / hide
it soon.

best regards
  Patrick

Patrick Schaaf | 2 Apr 09:52 2012

On Mon, 2012-04-02 at 09:51 +0200, Patrick Schaaf wrote:
> > The word “severity” can be translated to Swedish in two ways, given by
> > context (AFAIK):
> >
> >  1. Degree of difficulty ("svårighetsgrad):
> >     How hard (difficult) is it to fix this?
> >     (Or: How bad is our life going to be trying to fix this?)
> >
> >  2. Degree of seriousness ("allvarlighetsgrad"):
> >     How serious is it if we don't fix this?
> >     (Or: How bad is our life going to be if we don't fix this?)
> >
> > Until now I thought 2 applied in the context of Trac, but am starting to
> > think this is wrong.
> >
> > How do you interpret "severity"; "difficulty" or "seriousness"?
>
> The person I inherited our trac setup from, interpreted it as
> difficulty, in the sense of an estimate of the time needed to work on
> the ticket. It is, however, almost never used, and I will remove / hide
> it soon.

For the second meaning, we use priority.

Cooke, Mark | 2 Apr 10:11 2012
Picon

> On Mon, 2012-04-02 at 09:51 +0200, Patrick Schaaf wrote:
> > > The word "severity" can be translated to Swedish in two
> > > ways, given by context (AFAIK):
> > >
> > >  1. Degree of difficulty ("svårighetsgrad):
> > >     How hard (difficult) is it to fix this?
> > >     (Or: How bad is our life going to be trying to fix this?)
> > >
> > >  2. Degree of seriousness ("allvarlighetsgrad"):
> > >     How serious is it if we don't fix this?
> > >     (Or: How bad is our life going to be if we don't fix this?)
> > >
> > > Until now I thought 2 applied in the context of Trac, but
> > > am starting to think this is wrong.
> > >
> > > How do you interpret "severity"; "difficulty" or "seriousness"?
> >
> > The person I inherited our trac setup from, interpreted it as
> > difficulty, in the sense of an estimate of the time needed to
> > work on the ticket. It is, however, almost never used, and I
> > will remove / hide it soon.
>
> For the second meaning, we use priority.

(Continue reading)

Chris Carr | 2 Apr 10:48 2012

On 02/04/2012, Cooke, Mark <mark.cooke@...> wrote:
> Personally, I think of `Severity` as (2) ~ the impact on a user of that
> functionality.
>
> We use Priority as a comparative measure between all issues (e.g. in scrum
> this identifies the next most important tasks).  The two are not necessarily
> directly related, a high Severity issue that is rarely used my be postponed
> in favour of a lower Severity issue that impacts lots of users and/or lots
> of the time...

We use Priority for the impact on the user, and Severity as the effort
required to fix/implement.

Our local prioritisation uses a combination of the two: if we are
nearing a release, we will want to close as many low-severity tickets
as possible. If we have recently released, we will want to work on the
big tickets (both high Priority and high Severity).

CC

Dana V. Baldwin | 2 Apr 16:59 2012

Re: [Trac] Interpretation of ticket severity

This is what we use as well.

Priority == when to do it (now - later - never)

Severity == how much we want it done (causes crash - must have - would
be nice - meh)

Often times I need a task done or bug fixed NOW! I can also have a task
that must be in the shipped product but I don't want it worked on until
next month.

So when making the schedule I look at severity, what's left to ship.
Developers look at priority, what are they supposed to do next.