Cooke, Mark | 2 Apr 10:11 2012
Picon

RE: [Trac] Interpretation of ticket severity

(Continue reading)

Chris Carr | 2 Apr 10:48 2012

On 02/04/2012, Cooke, Mark <mark.cooke@...> wrote:
> Personally, I think of `Severity` as (2) ~ the impact on a user of that
> functionality.
>
> We use Priority as a comparative measure between all issues (e.g. in scrum
> this identifies the next most important tasks).  The two are not necessarily
> directly related, a high Severity issue that is rarely used my be postponed
> in favour of a lower Severity issue that impacts lots of users and/or lots
> of the time...

We use Priority for the impact on the user, and Severity as the effort
required to fix/implement.

Our local prioritisation uses a combination of the two: if we are
nearing a release, we will want to close as many low-severity tickets
as possible. If we have recently released, we will want to work on the
big tickets (both high Priority and high Severity).

CC

Dana V. Baldwin | 2 Apr 16:59 2012

Re: [Trac] Interpretation of ticket severity

This is what we use as well.

Priority == when to do it (now - later - never)

Severity == how much we want it done (causes crash - must have - would
be nice - meh)

Often times I need a task done or bug fixed NOW! I can also have a task
that must be in the shipped product but I don't want it worked on until
next month.

So when making the schedule I look at severity, what's left to ship.
Developers look at priority, what are they supposed to do next.