Dana V. Baldwin | 2 Apr 16:59 2012

Re: [Trac] Interpretation of ticket severity

This is what we use as well.

Priority == when to do it (now - later - never)

Severity == how much we want it done (causes crash - must have - would
be nice - meh)

Often times I need a task done or bug fixed NOW! I can also have a task
that must be in the shipped product but I don't want it worked on until
next month.

So when making the schedule I look at severity, what's left to ship.
Developers look at priority, what are they supposed to do next.

On 4/2/2012 3:11 AM, Cooke, Mark wrote:
>> -
> Personally, I think of `Severity` as (2) ~ the impact on a user of that functionality.
>
> We use Priority as a comparative measure between all issues (e.g. in scrum this identifies the next most
important tasks).  The two are not necessarily directly related, a high Severity issue that is rarely used
my be postponed in favour of a lower Severity issue that impacts lots of users and/or lots of the time...