Michael Renzmann | 25 Mar 20:02 2010
Picon

XML-RPC temporarily turned off

Hi all.

Quick note: there is a clever guy who seems to believe that trac-hacks.org
is his private testing facility and spams the site with spanish-language
dummy tickets. He did not even stop after his second account was locked
down and created a third account.

All his wonderful "work" seems to be done using XML-RPC. Unfortunately the
0.10 version of the XML-RPC plugin bypasses the spam-filter - that would
be fixed in recent versions of the plugin, which in return depends on Trac
0.11. Since I currently don't find enough time to fix the last few
remaining issues and then complete the move of t-h.o to Trac 0.11, and
neither have time nor motivation to spend half an hour to dump the spam
tickets of that joker, I've decided to turn off the XML-RPC stuff for now.

Bye, Mike
Olemis Lang | 15 Apr 15:06 2010
Picon

Re: XML-RPC temporarily turned off

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Michael Renzmann
<mrenzmann@...> wrote:
> Hi all.

:o)

> Quick note: there is a clever guy who seems to believe that trac-hacks.org
> is his private testing facility and spams the site with spanish-language
> dummy tickets. He did not even stop after his second account was locked
> down and created a third account.

ggrrgrgrrrr ... :$

Well, I wanted to know when will it be enabled again . I need to
perform some changes in tickets after adopting new hacks and other
things, and I'd prefer to perform those changes via RPC ;o)

> All his wonderful "work" seems to be done using XML-RPC. Unfortunately the
> 0.10 version of the XML-RPC plugin bypasses the spam-filter - that would
> be fixed in recent versions of the plugin, which in return depends on Trac
> 0.11.

Are you sure ? Does XML-RPC plugin do it explicitly or you're taking
extra precautions .

anatoly techtonik | 16 Apr 09:48 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Olemis Lang <olemis@...> wrote:
>> Hi all.
>
> :o)

o)

>> Quick note: there is a clever guy who seems to believe that trac-hacks.org
>> is his private testing facility and spams the site with spanish-language
>> dummy tickets. He did not even stop after his second account was locked
>> down and created a third account.
>>

> ggrrgrgrrrr ... :$
>
> Well, I wanted to know when will it be enabled again . I need to
> perform some changes in tickets after adopting new hacks and other
> things, and I'd prefer to perform those changes via RPC ;o)

Trac lacks a throttling component. It would be good to have it both
for XML-RPC and for AccountManager.

anatoly t.
Olemis Lang | 16 Apr 15:19 2010
Picon

Re: XML-RPC temporarily turned off

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 2:48 AM, anatoly techtonik
<techtonik@...> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Olemis Lang <olemis@...> wrote:
>>> Hi all.
>>
>> :o)
>>

> o)
>
>>> Quick note: there is a clever guy who seems to believe that trac-hacks.org
>>> is his private testing facility and spams the site with spanish-language
>>> dummy tickets. He did not even stop after his second account was locked
>>> down and created a third account.
>>>

>> ggrrgrgrrrr ... :$
>>
>> Well, I wanted to know when will it be enabled again . I need to
>> perform some changes in tickets after adopting new hacks and other
>> things, and I'd prefer to perform those changes via RPC ;o)
>
> Trac lacks a throttling component. It would be good to have it both
> for XML-RPC and for AccountManager.

Filed issue for XmlRpcPlugin . Feel free to start discussion there to
see if something can be done

http://trac-hacks.org/ticket/6996
(Continue reading)

Michael Renzmann | 16 Apr 22:00 2010
Picon

Re: XML-RPC temporarily turned off

Hi.

> Well, I wanted to know when will it be enabled again . I need to
> perform some changes in tickets after adopting new hacks and other
> things, and I'd prefer to perform those changes via RPC ;o)

Don't hold your breath for it. I most probably won't reenable XMLRPC
before the switch to 0.11 has been finished, and that currently is delayed
due to a lack of time on my side to finish some caching stuff required for
getting a reasonable performance for t-h.o on 0.11.

>> Unfortunately the 0.10 version of the XML-RPC plugin bypasses the
>> spam-filter - that would be fixed in recent versions of the plugin,
>> which in return depends on Trac 0.11.
> Are you sure ?

No, but I am sure that I can rely on the author of the plugin who has
confirmed that the recent version of the XML-RPC plugin properly
interfaces with SpamFilter. :-)

Bye, Mike
Olemis Lang | 16 Apr 22:19 2010
Picon

Re: XML-RPC temporarily turned off

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Michael Renzmann
<mrenzmann@...> wrote:
> Hi.
>
>> Well, I wanted to know when will it be enabled again . I need to
>> perform some changes in tickets after adopting new hacks and other
>> things, and I'd prefer to perform those changes via RPC ;o)
>
> Don't hold your breath for it. I most probably won't reenable XMLRPC
> before the switch to 0.11 has been finished, and that currently is delayed
> due to a lack of time on my side to finish some caching stuff required for
> getting a reasonable performance for t-h.o on 0.11.

ok /me waiting ...

>>> Unfortunately the 0.10 version of the XML-RPC plugin bypasses the
>>> spam-filter - that would be fixed in recent versions of the plugin,
>>> which in return depends on Trac 0.11.
>> Are you sure ?
>
> No, but I am sure that I can rely on the author of the plugin who has
> confirmed that the recent version of the XML-RPC plugin properly
> interfaces with SpamFilter. :-)

Fine . I use RPC plugin extensively but never needed to fight against
spammers until recently . So I am seriously thinking about that and ,
if you had previous success histories, well , /me ready to learn ...