Robin Rowe | 29 Feb 09:09 2008

CinePaint SCons Packager

Teoh,

Welcome aboard! Your info on our team page:

http://www.cinepaint.org/people/index.html

Everyone, Teoh is a software engineer in Vancouver, Canada, and Debian
developer, who will be implementing an experimental Scons build system
for CinePaint.

Teoh, do you have any questions?

Thank you!

Robin

Robin Rowe
CinePaint Project Leader
Beverly Hills, California
www.CinePaint.org

CinePaint SCons Packager - Opened 2008.02.28

CinePaint is popular advanced image editing software used by pro
photographers and studio visual effects artists.

Are you interested in learning an alternative to autotools? SCons is a
simple widely-used, but not well-known build system based on Python.
Some knowledge or interest in learning Scons, Python and autotools
necessary. Fun project for someone who likes Python and is interested in
(Continue reading)

H. S. Teoh | 29 Feb 16:34 2008

Re: CinePaint SCons Packager

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 12:09:44AM -0800, Robin Rowe wrote:
> Teoh,
>
> Welcome aboard! Your info on our team page:
>
> http://www.cinepaint.org/people/index.html
>
> Everyone, Teoh is a software engineer in Vancouver, Canada, and Debian
> developer, who will be implementing an experimental Scons build system
> for CinePaint.

Thanks!

> Teoh, do you have any questions?
[...]

Yes, in fact. I've checked out the latest(?) CVS code for CinePaint from
sourceforge, but when trying to configure it, I get this:

-----snip-----

checking for alloca... yes

PKG_CONFIG_PATH =

checking fd_set and sys/select... yes
checking for yywrap in -lfl... yes
checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
checking pthread.h usability... yes
checking pthread.h presence... yes
(Continue reading)

Kai-Uwe Behrmann | 29 Feb 18:21 2008

Re: CinePaint SCons Packager

Hello Teoh,

Am 29.02.08, 07:34 -0800 schrieb H. S. Teoh:
> Yes, in fact. I've checked out the latest(?) CVS code for CinePaint from
> sourceforge, but when trying to configure it, I get this:
>
> -----snip-----
>
> checking for alloca... yes
>
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH =
>
> checking fd_set and sys/select... yes
> checking for yywrap in -lfl... yes
> checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
> checking pthread.h usability... yes
> checking pthread.h presence... yes
> checking for pthread.h... yes
> checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
> ./configure: line 23300: syntax error near unexpected token `1.2.8,,'
> ./configure: line 23300: `	AM_PATH_GTK(1.2.8,,'
>
> -----snip-----
>
> Am I missing something?

configure --enable-gtk2

> Anyway, in spite of configure not working, I've gone ahead to write
> SConstruct and SConscript's, and so far, I managed to get libhalf,
(Continue reading)

H. S. Teoh | 29 Feb 18:18 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 06:21:30PM +0100, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Hello Teoh,
>
> Am 29.02.08, 07:34 -0800 schrieb H. S. Teoh:
> > Yes, in fact. I've checked out the latest(?) CVS code for CinePaint from
> > sourceforge, but when trying to configure it, I get this:
> >
> > -----snip-----
> >
> > checking for alloca... yes
> >
> > PKG_CONFIG_PATH =
> >
> > checking fd_set and sys/select... yes
> > checking for yywrap in -lfl... yes
> > checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
> > checking pthread.h usability... yes
> > checking pthread.h presence... yes
> > checking for pthread.h... yes
> > checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
> > ./configure: line 23300: syntax error near unexpected token `1.2.8,,'
> > ./configure: line 23300: `	AM_PATH_GTK(1.2.8,,'
> >
> > -----snip-----
> >
> > Am I missing something?
>
> configure --enable-gtk2

I just tried that, and I still get the same error. Maybe it's an
(Continue reading)

Kai-Uwe Behrmann | 29 Feb 20:13 2008

Am 29.02.08, 09:18 -0800 schrieb H. S. Teoh:
> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 06:21:30PM +0100, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> > Am 29.02.08, 07:34 -0800 schrieb H. S. Teoh:
> > > Yes, in fact. I've checked out the latest(?) CVS code for CinePaint from
> > > sourceforge, but when trying to configure it, I get this:

Hmm, another possibility is that the GTK1 macros are missed. Newer systems
dont have them. I still maintained Gtk1 versions. For instance to
support the gtk-osx builds. The Gtk2 on osX version did not work.

> [...]
> > > Anyway, in spite of configure not working, I've gone ahead to write
> > > SConstruct and SConscript's, and so far, I managed to get libhalf,
> > > lib/wire, lib/fl_i18n, and libgimp to compile. Most of app/ compiles as
(Continue reading)

H. S. Teoh | 29 Feb 20:07 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 08:13:21PM +0100, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Am 29.02.08, 09:18 -0800 schrieb H. S. Teoh:
> > On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 06:21:30PM +0100, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
[...]
> > > configure --enable-gtk2
> >
> > I just tried that, and I still get the same error. Maybe it's an
> > autoconf version conflict? It seems a bit strange that it should get
> > a syntax error if it's just a missing flag.
>
> Hmm, another possibility is that the GTK1 macros are missed. Newer
> systems dont have them. I still maintained Gtk1 versions. For instance
> to support the gtk-osx builds. The Gtk2 on osX version did not work.

Hmm. Is there a way to make it skip the GTK1 macros when GTK1 is not
installed? Or is there no way around installing GTK1 just so configure
will work? (The Debian FTP masters will not like this if we try to
upload to the main Debian archive...)

Anyway, it seems that I'm seeing two problems, which are related:

1) Running autoconf doesn't expand the GTK1 macros, so the resulting
configure script is broken (that's where the syntax error comes from).

2) Running the CVS version of configure does work, except that it
insists on checking for gtk1 regardless of any settings (also, it
doesn't seem to understand --enable-gtk2?). So it looks like I must
install GTK1 just to make it happy?

[...]
(Continue reading)

Kai-Uwe Behrmann | 29 Feb 21:05 2008

Am 29.02.08, 11:07 -0800 schrieb H. S. Teoh:
> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 08:13:21PM +0100, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> > Am 29.02.08, 09:18 -0800 schrieb H. S. Teoh:
> > > On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 06:21:30PM +0100, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > I just tried that, and I still get the same error. Maybe it's an
> > > autoconf version conflict? It seems a bit strange that it should get
> > > a syntax error if it's just a missing flag.
> >
> > Hmm, another possibility is that the GTK1 macros are missed. Newer
> > systems dont have them. I still maintained Gtk1 versions. For instance
> > to support the gtk-osx builds. The Gtk2 on osX version did not work.
>
> Hmm. Is there a way to make it skip the GTK1 macros when GTK1 is not
> installed? Or is there no way around installing GTK1 just so configure
> will work? (The Debian FTP masters will not like this if we try to
> upload to the main Debian archive...)

I assumed you use the CVS an thus call the autogen.sh script from CVS to
build the autotools files (aclocal, autoconfig, automake). With the
configure script in the tar ball I do not remember to have seen problems.

> Anyway, it seems that I'm seeing two problems, which are related:
>
> 1) Running autoconf doesn't expand the GTK1 macros, so the resulting
> configure script is broken (that's where the syntax error comes from).

For developers it is adviceable to have Gtk1 installed. A alternative
(Continue reading)

H. S. Teoh | 29 Feb 20:55 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 09:05:05PM +0100, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Am 29.02.08, 11:07 -0800 schrieb H. S. Teoh:
> > On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 08:13:21PM +0100, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> > > Am 29.02.08, 09:18 -0800 schrieb H. S. Teoh:
[...]
> > Hmm. Is there a way to make it skip the GTK1 macros when GTK1 is not
> > installed? Or is there no way around installing GTK1 just so
> > configure will work? (The Debian FTP masters will not like this if
> > we try to upload to the main Debian archive...)
>
> I assumed you use the CVS an thus call the autogen.sh script from CVS
> to build the autotools files (aclocal, autoconfig, automake). With the
> configure script in the tar ball I do not remember to have seen
> problems.

I found out, as I said in the other reply, that the problem was 'cos I
didn't have GTK1 (or at least, libgtk1-dev) installed, so autoconf
generated a mangled configure script.

> > Anyway, it seems that I'm seeing two problems, which are related:
> >
> > 1) Running autoconf doesn't expand the GTK1 macros, so the resulting
> > configure script is broken (that's where the syntax error comes from).
>
> For developers it is adviceable to have Gtk1 installed. A alternative
> would be to drop Gtk1 completely. Then we can not continue with
> gtk-osx, which is not what we want.

Hmm. Is there no way to make configure smart enough to skip the gtk1
check when it's not installed? Currently, it seems that anyone who wants
(Continue reading)

Kai-Uwe Behrmann | 1 Mar 07:04 2008

Am 29.02.08, 11:55 -0800 schrieb H. S. Teoh:
> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 09:05:05PM +0100, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

> > > Anyway, it seems that I'm seeing two problems, which are related:
> > >
> > > 1) Running autoconf doesn't expand the GTK1 macros, so the resulting
> > > configure script is broken (that's where the syntax error comes from).
> >
> > For developers it is adviceable to have Gtk1 installed. A alternative
> > would be to drop Gtk1 completely. Then we can not continue with
> > gtk-osx, which is not what we want.
>
> Hmm. Is there no way to make configure smart enough to skip the gtk1
> check when it's not installed? Currently, it seems that anyone who wants
> to build cinepaint must install gtk1, even if they're building it for
> gtk2 only. We shouldn't drop gtk1 support, but it would be nice to not
> *require* it when you have gtk2.

If we take over the gtk1 macros into our tree I am afraid we, me, will
have a long route to get it seamless working. The macros potentially
conflict with system provided ones.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann

developing for colour management
www.behrmann.name + www.oyranos.org
(Continue reading)

Robin Rowe | 29 Feb 20:31 2008

Re: CinePaint SCons Packager

Teoh,

> Yes, in fact. I've checked out the latest(?) CVS code for CinePaint from
> sourceforge, but when trying to configure it, I get this:
>
> -----snip-----
>
> checking for alloca... yes
>
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH =
>
> checking fd_set and sys/select... yes
> checking for yywrap in -lfl... yes
> checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
> checking pthread.h usability... yes
> checking pthread.h presence... yes
> checking for pthread.h... yes
> checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
> ./configure: line 23300: syntax error near unexpected token `1.2.8,,'
> ./configure: line 23300: `	AM_PATH_GTK(1.2.8,,'

Mystery to me. Checking now, I do not see that error with ./configure.
What version of libgtk1-dev do you have installed?

This looks like a new bug and unique to your system. Please investigate.

> 1) Are we looking for full-scale autotools replacement? Or just
> automake? The automake part is relatively easy; replacing autoconf may
> take a while to sort out since we'll have to replicate its functionality
> in SCons. (Good news: things like pkg-config are already natively
(Continue reading)

H. S. Teoh | 29 Feb 20:46 2008

Re: CinePaint SCons Packager

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 11:31:33AM -0800, Robin Rowe wrote:
[...]
> > -----snip-----
> >
> > checking for alloca... yes
> >
> > PKG_CONFIG_PATH =
> >
> > checking fd_set and sys/select... yes
> > checking for yywrap in -lfl... yes
> > checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
> > checking pthread.h usability... yes
> > checking pthread.h presence... yes
> > checking for pthread.h... yes
> > checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
> > ./configure: line 23300: syntax error near unexpected token `1.2.8,,'
> > ./configure: line 23300: `	AM_PATH_GTK(1.2.8,,'
>
> Mystery to me. Checking now, I do not see that error with ./configure.
> What version of libgtk1-dev do you have installed?
>
> This looks like a new bug and unique to your system. Please
> investigate.

Heh, I found that the problem is that I didn't have libgtk1-dev
installed.  :-) I saw a message on the mailing list to the effect that
cinepaint now builds with gtk2, so I thought I could get away without
installing libgtk1-dev.  Maybe the gtk2 support stuff isn't in CVS yet?

Anyway, the reason the syntax error happened is because autoconf (on my
(Continue reading)

Robin Rowe | 29 Feb 22:28 2008

Re: CinePaint SCons Packager

Teoh,

> As for supporting all those different build systems, how would we keep
> all of their relevant scripts/config files up-to-date?

Adding a new source file to any build system is trivial. Just add it to
a list. It's setting up build systems and debugging them that takes effort.

> While I don't mind maintaining the SCons scripts to keep up
> with changes in the Makefiles, it seems to me that in the long run, a
> lot of time/effort would be spent keeping everything in sync.

Nobody has to maintain more than one system. Scons, autotools, and cmake
each have separate CinePaint maintainers. As long as we can find
maintainers, we'll support all systems.

We've been burned by having a single point of failure build system. When
autotools breaks, everyone is disrupted. Multiple build systems are good.

> OK. I haven't touched anything in the code (or the autotools related
> stuff); the SCons scripts are all separate files. But I'll try to only
> commit once the scripts are actually working properly.

Commit scons code in progress, only not if it would break the autotools
build.

Cheers,

Robin

Tom Huffman | 29 Feb 20:05 2008

Re: CinePaint SCons Packager

I know that on OS X, when I compile using GTK2 for
OSX, the configure
script does not seem to stop checking for the old GTK1
version and it would die.  I ended up having to have
both versions installed even though I only compiled
with GTK2.

Hope it helps.

Laters,
Tom

Kai-Uwe Behrmann | 29 Feb 20:19 2008

Re: CinePaint SCons Packager

Hello Tom,

did you build outside of the source tree? Otherwise I can not easily
imagine how the objects would fit in for the two ABI's.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--

Am 29.02.08, 11:05 -0800 schrieb Tom Huffman:

> I know that on OS X, when I compile using GTK2 for
> OSX, the configure
> script does not seem to stop checking for the old GTK1
> version and it would die.  I ended up having to have
> both versions installed even though I only compiled
> with GTK2.
>
> Hope it helps.
>
> Laters,
> Tom

Tom Huffman | 29 Feb 20:37 2008

Re: CinePaint SCons Packager

Kai-Uwe,

If I recall I ended up just getting the gtk1 sources
and configueing
them.
I believe I ended up just installing pkg-config files
from the gtk1
tarballs.
Just enough to convince cinepaint's configure script
to think gtk1 was
there.

It was a pain, now I just use Xcode.

I can look up the specifics if it would be helpful.

laters,
Tom