A. Mullius | 12 Mar 10:17 2012
Picon

PSNR with x264

Hi,

I encoded some videos using x264 and also tracked the PSNR for each frame using the --psnr parameter. Unfortunately I get this warning: x264 [warning]: --psnr used with psy on: results will be invalid!

Does this mean that all my PSNR values are invalid? How can I desable this 'psy' ?

Please help me.

Best Regards

Jason Garrett-Glaser | 12 Mar 17:24 2012

Re: PSNR with x264

.On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 2:17 AM, A. Mullius <mullius87 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I encoded some videos using x264 and also tracked the PSNR for each frame
> using the --psnr parameter. Unfortunately I get this warning: x264
> [warning]: --psnr used with psy on: results will be invalid!
>
> Does this mean that all my PSNR values are invalid? How can I desable this
> 'psy' ?

If you want x264 to optimize for higher PSNR values instead of trying
to encode quality video, use --tune psnr.

Jason

Alex Jurkiewicz | 13 Mar 03:38 2012
Picon

Re: PSNR with x264

The PSNR values are correctly calculated. However the psy
optimisations in x264 tend to increase visual quality while reducing
PSNR, so x264 emits this warning to remind you PSNR is an imperfect
metric.

Alex

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 8:17 PM, A. Mullius <mullius87 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I encoded some videos using x264 and also tracked the PSNR for each frame
> using the --psnr parameter. Unfortunately I get this warning: x264
> [warning]: --psnr used with psy on: results will be invalid!
>
> Does this mean that all my PSNR values are invalid? How can I desable this
> 'psy' ?
>
> Please help me.
>
> Best Regards

Peter Hartmann | 12 Mar 14:40 2012
Picon

Re: PSNR with x264

> Hi,
>
> I encoded some videos using x264 and also tracked the PSNR for each
> frame using the --psnr parameter. Unfortunately I get this warning:
> x264 [warning]: --psnr used with psy on: results will be invalid!
>
> Does this mean that all my PSNR values are invalid? How can I desable
> this 'psy' ?
>
> Please help me.
>
> Best Regards

Hello

"Psy" is short for psychovisual optimisations, which are meant to
enhance video quality by exploiting human mind's perception of said
image. For some it looks better, for some it doesn't. You can disable it
alltogether with --no-psy argument.

Regards,
Peter