Bruce | 18 Feb 17:50 2013
Picon

Malware hijacked my search settings after software update to BG 1.6.1

Blue Griffon is EXCELLENT software and I personally supported it by purchasing approx. $50 worth of add ons to support its author.

I thought I carefully declined any add ons when installing 1.6.1 but apparently either I did not or some malware snuck in anyway.

Along with BG 1.6.1 I got unwanted "BrowserProtect" by Bit89 Inc software, a Delta Toolbar install and "Bundled Software uninstaller" with NO publishers name, no size showing, no version number and when I clicked on it taled to me about uninstalling the "Babylon toolbar" which I didn't know I had.  So 2 hours of research blater, a support call to Norton Live since I didn't know what else this unwanted software might have done to my PC, now I can go back to work.

To repeat: Blue Griffon is EXCELLENT software and I personally supported it by purchasing approx. $50 worth of add ons to support its author.

I wish the author would offer a paid version, malware and unwanted software-free, as I'd rather pay a price than waste 2 hours of time cleaning up after an unwanted install.

Thank you.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "bluegriffon" group.

Will Watts | 7 Mar 10:20 2013
Picon

Re: Malware hijacked my search settings after software update to BG 1.6.1

I agree with all of that, having just been hit by a similar experience. I am a 'platimum' user of Blue Griffon, meaning I subscribed to the project before v1.0 release - because I wished to encourage it.

To be clear, what we are saying is: the Windows install linked on this page http://bluegriffon.org/pages/Download - ie specifically the file at
http://bluegriffon.org/freshmeat/1.6.2/setup-bluegriffon-1.6.2.exe
contains a most disgusting piece of malware called Delta Search. It installs a toolbar in FireFox, IE and Chrome, resets itself as default search engine and home page, and generally makes a nuisance of itself which takes time and effort to undo. A quick Google of the phrase 'delta search toolbar' serves to demonstrate the point, this
http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-delta-search/
describes the removal procedure I used.

The question is: is Daniel Glazman aware of this? My assumption is that he isn't. Is there any way of drawing it to his attention, beyond posting here? I feel sure this is damaging his reputation, and he would wish to stop it.

Will Watts

[...]

Daniel Glazman | 7 Mar 10:34 2013
Picon

Re: Re: Malware hijacked my search settings after software update to BG 1.6.1

On 07/03/13 10:20, Will Watts wrote:

> The question is: is Daniel Glazman aware of this? My assumption is that
> he isn't. Is there any way of drawing it to his attention, beyond
> posting here? I feel sure this is damaging his reputation, and he would
> wish to stop it.

I am fully aware of it and the installation wizard offers to disable
that extra installation. That addition brings my organization extra
revenue that is most welcome since I remind you I don't sell the
editor... That revenue stream is important enough I have no good
solution here, I cannot keep working on BlueGriffon and maintain it
free of charge w/o having at the end of the month a salary. Increasing
the add-ons' prices is not an option since it would require a too high
increase, damaging the sales. I tried donations in the past - and so
did KompoZer's maintainer - and they just do NOT work.
That said, no this is not "damaging my reputation". Last time I checked,
installing software from a well-known super-large US company was also
installing Google Chrome and other stuff on my computer, tweaking my
default OS settings. No effect on their reputation.
If you can suggest another immediately workable way of making an extra
revenue stream, I'm all ears and will then consider dropping the
third-party offers in the windows installer.

</Daniel>

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "bluegriffon" group.

Glen Starrett | 7 Mar 13:56 2013
Picon

Re: Re: Malware hijacked my search settings after software update to BG 1.6.1

Hi Daniel,

Maybe you could offer a "free" and "paid" version where the "paid" version costs a bit more than the per-install result of the adware (enough to make it worth your while to maintain the additional installer build).  You could then remove the option of installing the extra package entirely, and instead have an upsell button on the installer to offer access to the "paid" installer.

Joeg -- That's a good idea, but he's already doing the "basic is free" with the add-on as "pro features", but not getting enough revenue with that model.

If you can suggest another immediately workable way of making an extra
revenue stream, I'm all ears and will then consider dropping the
third-party offers in the windows installer.

</Daniel>

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "bluegriffon" group.

Glen Starrett | 7 Mar 14:13 2013
Picon

Re: Re: Malware hijacked my search settings after software update to BG 1.6.1

Another thought -- you might want to alter the plugin bundle to include an adware-free BG installer rather than creating a BG only ad-free installer.  That would give users another benefit to upgrading to the full package.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "bluegriffon" group.

Joeg | 7 Mar 11:55 2013
Picon

Re: Malware hijacked my search settings after software update to BG 1.6.1

Daniel, you might consider doing a BlueGriffon Lite (free) and BlueGriffon Pro (paid). I would certainly pay ($50) for a 'Pro' version. The lite version would be good for a few pages, the pro version would handle a more extensive site with a good site manager.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "bluegriffon" group.

Joeg | 7 Mar 15:58 2013
Picon

Re: Malware hijacked my search settings after software update to BG 1.6.1

>Joeg -- That's a good idea, but he's already doing the "basic is free" with the add-on as "pro features", but not getting enough revenue with that model.

As I see it, the add-ons would remain paid for either Lite or Pro versions. The Lite version would be pretty much what we have at present (1.6.2). The Pro version wold be BlueGriffon 2.0 - whatever that might be ;?)

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "bluegriffon" group.