Juanba Escrig | 2 Apr 04:15 2009
Picon

Re: 0.99.8 bug with gzip/deflate?

I have the same problem,
I can't see jpg and png extensions, but I can see pdf, all them matching the same rule.

Rule type: Extensions
Extensions: jpg,png,pdf
Handler: Static content
Encoding: Allow gzip -->Enabled
                 Allow deflate --> Enabled

And the files:
http://juanba.homelinux.org/downloads/85122.jpg
http://juanba.homelinux.org/downloads/sample.pdf

2009/4/2 Yo'av Moshe <bjesus <at> gmail.com>
Hey all,
I've updated to 0.99.8 now, and my clients started to complain that some images won't load anymore.
Testing some options, I managed to fix that only by disabling GZip and Deflate (which was always enabled, and I don't recall having problems with it).

Could someone check if he can get this image to be served by Cherokee 0.99.8 with Gzip and Deflate enabled?
http://noal.org.il/static/gallery/77911/85122.jpg
As I said, it is now being served by Cherokee 0.99.8 but GZip and Deflate are disabled.

Thank you!

--
Yo'av Moshe

pub crawler | 2 Apr 04:50 2009
Picon

Re: 0.99.8 bug with gzip/deflate?

Just another idea - divide jpg and png to own rule, disable gzip and
disable deflate
create new rule for pfg - enable gzip and enable deflate

See if when you do this, after HARD RESTART of Cherokee if the JPG
serving problems continue.

If they do: Handler > Allow Keepalive > UNENABLE (unchecked). Hard
Restart Cherokee.
Test again.

I recommend trying this temporarily until Alvaro gets to tracking this
issue and sending out new release.
I have had some limited success with similar problems in Cherokee by doing such.

Let us know here if any of this helps/solves issue since others
probably experiencing the same.

-Paul

2009/4/1 Juanba Escrig <jbescrig <at> gmail.com>:
> I have the same problem,
> I can't see jpg and png extensions, but I can see pdf, all them matching the
> same rule.
>
> Rule type: Extensions
> Extensions: jpg,png,pdf
> Handler: Static content
> Encoding: Allow gzip -->Enabled
>                  Allow deflate --> Enabled
>
> And the files:
> http://juanba.homelinux.org/downloads/85122.jpg
> http://juanba.homelinux.org/downloads/sample.pdf
>

> 2009/4/2 Yo'av Moshe <bjesus <at> gmail.com>
>>
>> Hey all,
>> I've updated to 0.99.8 now, and my clients started to complain that some
>> images won't load anymore.
>> Testing some options, I managed to fix that only by disabling GZip and
>> Deflate (which was always enabled, and I don't recall having problems with
>> it).
>>
>> Could someone check if he can get this image to be served by Cherokee
>> 0.99.8 with Gzip and Deflate enabled?
>> http://noal.org.il/static/gallery/77911/85122.jpg
>> As I said, it is now being served by Cherokee 0.99.8 but GZip and Deflate
>> are disabled.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> --
>> Yo'av Moshe

Gunnar Wolf | 2 Apr 15:40 2009

Re: 0.99.8 bug with gzip/deflate?

pub crawler dijo [Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 10:50:46PM -0400]:
> Just another idea - divide jpg and png to own rule, disable gzip and
> disable deflate
> create new rule for pfg - enable gzip and enable deflate

FWIW, this makes perfect sense - JPG and PNG files will not benefit
from gzip/deflate, as they are already compressed. Likewise for MP3,
Zip, .gz, .bz2, Ogg, and... Well, many others :-)

> See if when you do this, after HARD RESTART of Cherokee if the JPG
> serving problems continue.
>
> If they do: Handler > Allow Keepalive > UNENABLE (unchecked). Hard
> Restart Cherokee.
> Test again.

Umh, from the information posted so far, what makes you relate the
keepalive to this behaviour? Although AFAICT the performance hit will
not be huge, there _is_ a performance hit from having to establish
multiple connections instead of reusing existing ones.

Gunnar Wolf - gwolf <at> gwolf.org - (+52-55)5623-0154 / 1451-2244
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23
pub crawler | 2 Apr 16:09 2009
Picon

Re: 0.99.8 bug with gzip/deflate?

Good Morning,

Did anyone try defining these new separate rules in Cherokee? Did this
remedy JPG file serving issues?

Aware of the keep-alive performance benefit.  In my testing of recent
versions of Cherokee there seems to be perhaps a slight relationship
to Keep-Alive as it relates to this. Can't confirm this 100%, but I've
seen it in our high use production environment relative to us of
Cherokee in Reverse Proxy mode. Unsure if this relates to other modes
of use with  Cherokee.

-Paul

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 9:40 AM, Gunnar Wolf <gwolf <at> gwolf.org> wrote:
> pub crawler dijo [Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 10:50:46PM -0400]:
>> Just another idea - divide jpg and png to own rule, disable gzip and
>> disable deflate
>> create new rule for pfg - enable gzip and enable deflate
>
> FWIW, this makes perfect sense - JPG and PNG files will not benefit
> from gzip/deflate, as they are already compressed. Likewise for MP3,
> Zip, .gz, .bz2, Ogg, and... Well, many others :-)
>
>> See if when you do this, after HARD RESTART of Cherokee if the JPG
>> serving problems continue.
>>
>> If they do: Handler > Allow Keepalive > UNENABLE (unchecked). Hard
>> Restart Cherokee.
>> Test again.
>
> Umh, from the information posted so far, what makes you relate the
> keepalive to this behaviour? Although AFAICT the performance hit will
> not be huge, there _is_ a performance hit from having to establish
> multiple connections instead of reusing existing ones.
>
> --
> Gunnar Wolf - gwolf <at> gwolf.org - (+52-55)5623-0154 / 1451-2244
> PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23
> Fingerprint: 0C79 D2D1 2C4E 9CE4 5973  F800 D80E F35A 8BB5 27AF

Gmane