Alvaro Lopez Ortega | 2 Apr 15:50 2009
Picon

Re: cherokee as a backend server

Hello Denis!

On 01-abr-09, at 15:01, Denis Kot wrote:

> I want to try to use cherokee as a backend server for my site. My
> frontend server (nginx) sets header 'X-Real-IP to  $remote_addr
> (visitor IP) and my backend (nginx also) takes this header and
> replaces frontend's IP with IP in this header so in logs I can see a
> real addresses instead of address of my frontend.
>
> How to do it with cherokee?

X-Real-IP is currently supported by trunk. It will be shipped with the
upcoming Cherokee 0.99.9 release (really soon).

--
Greetings, alo.
http://www.alobbs.com/

El jue, 02-04-2009 a las 15:50 +0200, Alvaro Lopez Ortega escribió:
> > replaces frontend's IP with IP in this header so in logs I can see a
> > real addresses instead of address of my frontend.
>
> X-Real-IP is currently supported by trunk. It will be shipped with the
> upcoming Cherokee 0.99.9 release (really soon).

This may be useful for X-FORWARDED-FOR also. What do you think?

Alberto Caso Palomino      | Adaptia
alberto.caso <at> adaptia.es    | http://www.adaptia.es

Alvaro Lopez Ortega | 3 Apr 16:56 2009

On 03-abr-09, at 16:28, Alberto Caso wrote:
> El jue, 02-04-2009 a las 15:50 +0200, Alvaro Lopez Ortega escribió:
>>> replaces frontend's IP with IP in this header so in logs I can see a
>>> real addresses instead of address of my frontend.
>>
>> X-Real-IP is currently supported by trunk. It will be shipped with
>> the
>> upcoming Cherokee 0.99.9 release (really soon).
>
> This may be useful for X-FORWARDED-FOR also. What do you think?

I don't know if I have understood it right.

Currently Cherokee support both X-Real-IP and X-Forwarded-For. In the
case of X-Real-IP it is supported by all the loggers (in trunk and the
upcoming 0.99.10) and the reverse proxy handler.

Is there something else about these headers that you think that we are
missing?

--
Greetings, alo
http://www.alobbs.com/
Picon

Re: cherokee as a backend server

Hi,

On Fri, 03-04-2009 at 16:56 +0200, Alvaro Lopez Ortega wrote:
> > This may be useful for X-FORWARDED-FOR also. What do you think?
>
> Currently Cherokee support both X-Real-IP and X-Forwarded-For. In the
> case of X-Real-IP it is supported by all the loggers (in trunk and the
> upcoming 0.99.10) and the reverse proxy handler.

I meant to support X-FORWARDED-IP in the loggers.

If I understood the recent changes correctly, Cherokee (as backend
server) now supports logging the IP address found in the X-Real-IP
instead of using the client's IP address to be able to log the real
client's address instead of the reverse proxy's one.

What I meant in my previous mail is that maybe it could also be useful
to be able to log the client IP address based on the X-FORWARDED-IP for
proxies that set X-FORWARDED-IP instead of X-Real-IP (ie. a Squid proxy
in front of a Cherokee backend).

I'm aware this is not as straight-forward as X-Real-IP support.

Hope I explained it better this time. Sorry for not explaining it right
in my previous mail.

Denis Kot | 7 Apr 16:37 2009
Picon

Re: cherokee as a backend server