Gunnar Wolf | 1 Jun 18:36 2009

Re: debian/ubuntu package problem

Alejandro Barrera dijo [Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 05:34:29PM +0200]:
> Setting up libcherokee-config0 (0.99.15-1) ...
> Usage: update-python-modules [-v] [-c] package_directory [...]
>        update-python-modules [-v] [-c] package.dirs [...]
>        update-python-modules [-v] [-a|-f|-p]
>
> update-python-modules: error: /usr/share/python-support/libcherokee-
> config0.private is not a directory
> dpkg: error processing libcherokee-config0 (--configure):
>  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
>  libcherokee-config0
>
> Help anyone?

Hi,

This was reported already:

I am stumped by this bug - But not only because of the bug's
appearance (everybody knows I can make mistakes big-time!), but
because it has so far affected _very_ few people (three, you
included). I feel it is more related to python-support than to us, as
I did no changes to anything Python-related.

Anyway - Please follow the bug
report. /usr/share/python-support/libcherokee-config0.private should
(Continue reading)

Alejandro Barrera | 1 Jun 18:51 2009

Re: debian/ubuntu package problem

> Hi,
>
> This was reported already:

> I am stumped by this bug - But not only because of the bug's
> appearance (everybody knows I can make mistakes big-time!), but
> because it has so far affected _very_ few people (three, you
> included). I feel it is more related to python-support than to us, as
> I did no changes to anything Python-related.
>
> Anyway - Please follow the bug
> report. /usr/share/python-support/libcherokee-config0.private should
> _not_ be a directory. And, if anything remains broken, please... tell
> me :-/

Fixed. The weird thing is that I hadn't python-support installed on that
server, so I'm guessing debian created that package not long ago but forgot to
make it depend on some others. Either way, shouldn't the upgrade had asked me
to install the python-support package?

> Greetings,

Thanks a lot Gunner for the quick response.
Alex

http://www.neurosecurity.com
(Continue reading)

Gunnar Wolf | 1 Jun 19:37 2009

Re: debian/ubuntu package problem

Alejandro Barrera dijo [Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 06:51:26PM +0200]:
> Fixed. The weird thing is that I hadn't python-support installed on that
> server, so I'm guessing debian created that package not long ago but forgot to
> make it depend on some others. Either way, shouldn't the upgrade had asked me
> to install the python-support package?

Umh... That seems to be my problem then! Thanks for pointing it
out. Yes — I had included it as a Cherokee build dependency (i.e. it
is used when building the package), but not as a dependency at install
time. So, that explains why so few users were bitten by it: Mostly
everybody already has this package installed.

Ok, fixing the bug. Thanks a lot for pointing in the right direction!

Gunnar Wolf - gwolf <at> gwolf.org - (+52-55)5623-0154 / 1451-2244
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23
Alejandro Barrera | 1 Jun 19:40 2009

On Monday 01 June 2009 19:37:26 you wrote:
> Umh... That seems to be my problem then! Thanks for pointing it
> out. Yes — I had included it as a Cherokee build dependency (i.e. it
> is used when building the package), but not as a dependency at install
> time. So, that explains why so few users were bitten by it: Mostly
> everybody already has this package installed.
>
> Ok, fixing the bug. Thanks a lot for pointing in the right direction!

No problem :) Glad that I could help.

Keep the great work guys!

http://www.neurosecurity.com

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world"
Mahatma Gandhi
Koen Vermeer | 1 Jun 19:04 2009
Picon

On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 11:36 -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> This was reported already:

> I am stumped by this bug - But not only because of the bug's
> appearance (everybody knows I can make mistakes big-time!), but
> because it has so far affected _very_ few people (three, you
> included). I feel it is more related to python-support than to us, as
> I did no changes to anything Python-related.

I don't think your statement on the number of people affected is really
true. I had the same problem, but found the bug report and fixed it by
upgrading python-support. Of course, I could have attached a 'me too' to
the bug report. But I don't think bugs in Debian are fixed based on
popular vote, so I generally keep quiet in cases like this.

BTW, it happened to me on at least two servers (on different
architectures).

Best,
Koen
Gunnar Wolf | 1 Jun 20:46 2009

Re: debian/ubuntu package problem

Koen Vermeer dijo [Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 07:04:09PM +0200]:
> I don't think your statement on the number of people affected is really
> true. I had the same problem, but found the bug report and fixed it by
> upgrading python-support. Of course, I could have attached a 'me too' to
> the bug report. But I don't think bugs in Debian are fixed based on
> popular vote, so I generally keep quiet in cases like this.
>
> BTW, it happened to me on at least two servers (on different
> architectures).

Well... I am even more at fault then. Thing is, if few people
complain, I tend to believe it is a very local issue. Anyway - I'm
glad it is fixed now.