Bob Remeika | 2 May 19:01 2010
Picon

Re: dojox.mobile is awesome, also...

Hey Shane,

Do you have their email addresses?  That's something that I would be interested in.

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 5:03 AM, Shane O'Sullivan <shaneosullivan1 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
I know that the guys at Uxebu are working on a fixed header + scroller
solution, an I presume that could be made work with a footer too.

Is there any ongoing work with data-driven widgets?  E.g. a list
generated from a JSON list, with onClick/onTap events sending along
the data item?  I'd like to help out on that if so.

Thanks

Shane

2010/5/2 Bob Remeika <bob.remeika <at> gmail.com>:
> So... dojox.mobile is awesome.  I'm already working on getting an app to
> work using this and phonegap so that it runs as a native app on the iphone.
> One thing that I would like to see is a TabBar control that is displayed at
> the bottom of the view.  Is anybody working on anything like this?  I think
> I can help.  At the bare minimum, if somebody is working on this, I can beta
> test it for them and probably contribute bug fixes.
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 8:28 AM, Dylan Schiemann <dylan <at> dojotoolkit.org>
> wrote:

> Bob Remeika
> http://bobremeika.com
> http://d-rails.org
> http://cometdproject.dojotoolkit.org/

Bob Remeika
http://bobremeika.com
http://d-rails.org
http://cometdproject.dojotoolkit.org/
Shane O'Sullivan | 2 May 19:15 2010
Picon

Re: dojox.mobile is awesome, also...

Check out uxebu.com, it has all their details

2010/5/2 Bob Remeika <bob.remeika <at> gmail.com>:
> Hey Shane,
> Do you have their email addresses?  That's something that I would be
> interested in.
>
> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 5:03 AM, Shane O'Sullivan <shaneosullivan1 <at> gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I know that the guys at Uxebu are working on a fixed header + scroller
>> solution, an I presume that could be made work with a footer too.
>>
>> Is there any ongoing work with data-driven widgets?  E.g. a list
>> generated from a JSON list, with onClick/onTap events sending along
>> the data item?  I'd like to help out on that if so.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Shane
>>
>> 2010/5/2 Bob Remeika <bob.remeika <at> gmail.com>:
>> > So... dojox.mobile is awesome.  I'm already working on getting an app to
>> > work using this and phonegap so that it runs as a native app on the
>> > iphone.
>> > One thing that I would like to see is a TabBar control that is displayed
>> > at
>> > the bottom of the view.  Is anybody working on anything like this?  I
>> > think
>> > I can help.  At the bare minimum, if somebody is working on this, I can
>> > beta
>> > test it for them and probably contribute bug fixes.
>> > On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 8:28 AM, Dylan Schiemann <dylan <at> dojotoolkit.org>
>> > wrote:

>> > --
>> > Bob Remeika
>> > http://bobremeika.com
>> > http://d-rails.org
>> > http://cometdproject.dojotoolkit.org/

> Bob Remeika
> http://bobremeika.com
> http://d-rails.org
> http://cometdproject.dojotoolkit.org/

Bob Remeika | 2 May 19:28 2010
Picon

Re: dojox.mobile is awesome, also...

Hey Shane,

I know those guys.  I met tklipstein at DDD.

BTW... This fixed layout where you might have a ToolBar (dojox.mobile.Header)  up top and a TabBar fixed on the bottom is pretty difficult because WebKit mobile doesn't allow overflow scrolling.  At least it hasn't worked for me.  There's gotta be something similar to overflow but I don't know what it is or if it exists.

The widget that you describe that Uxebu is different than what I need I think.  I reread your email and it sounds like this is a "lurker" type widget that follows you as you scroll.  Is that correct?

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Shane O'Sullivan <shaneosullivan1 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
Check out uxebu.com, it has all their details

2010/5/2 Bob Remeika <bob.remeika <at> gmail.com>:
> Hey Shane,
> Do you have their email addresses?  That's something that I would be
> interested in.
>
> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 5:03 AM, Shane O'Sullivan <shaneosullivan1 <at> gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I know that the guys at Uxebu are working on a fixed header + scroller
>> solution, an I presume that could be made work with a footer too.
>>
>> Is there any ongoing work with data-driven widgets?  E.g. a list
>> generated from a JSON list, with onClick/onTap events sending along
>> the data item?  I'd like to help out on that if so.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Shane
>>
>> 2010/5/2 Bob Remeika <bob.remeika <at> gmail.com>:
>> > So... dojox.mobile is awesome.  I'm already working on getting an app to
>> > work using this and phonegap so that it runs as a native app on the
>> > iphone.
>> > One thing that I would like to see is a TabBar control that is displayed
>> > at
>> > the bottom of the view.  Is anybody working on anything like this?  I
>> > think
>> > I can help.  At the bare minimum, if somebody is working on this, I can
>> > beta
>> > test it for them and probably contribute bug fixes.
>> > On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 8:28 AM, Dylan Schiemann <dylan <at> dojotoolkit.org>
>> > wrote:

>> > --
>> > Bob Remeika
>> > http://bobremeika.com
>> > http://d-rails.org
>> > http://cometdproject.dojotoolkit.org/

> Bob Remeika
> http://bobremeika.com
> http://d-rails.org
> http://cometdproject.dojotoolkit.org/

Bob Remeika
http://bobremeika.com
http://d-rails.org
http://cometdproject.dojotoolkit.org/
Nikolai Onken | 3 May 09:09 2010

Re: dojox.mobile is awesome, also...

BTW... This fixed layout where you might have a ToolBar (dojox.mobile.Header)  up top and a TabBar fixed on the bottom is pretty difficult because WebKit mobile doesn't allow overflow scrolling.  At least it hasn't worked for me.  There's gotta be something similar to overflow but I don't know what it is or if it exists.

The component by David fixes exactly that :)

Cheers,

Nikolai

The widget that you describe that Uxebu is different than what I need I think.  I reread your email and it sounds like this is a "lurker" type widget that follows you as you scroll.  Is that correct?

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Shane O'Sullivan <shaneosullivan1 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
Check out uxebu.com, it has all their details

2010/5/2 Bob Remeika <bob.remeika <at> gmail.com>:
> Hey Shane,
> Do you have their email addresses?  That's something that I would be
> interested in.
>
> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 5:03 AM, Shane O'Sullivan <shaneosullivan1 <at> gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I know that the guys at Uxebu are working on a fixed header + scroller
>> solution, an I presume that could be made work with a footer too.
>>
>> Is there any ongoing work with data-driven widgets?  E.g. a list
>> generated from a JSON list, with onClick/onTap events sending along
>> the data item?  I'd like to help out on that if so.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Shane
>>
>> 2010/5/2 Bob Remeika <bob.remeika <at> gmail.com>:
>> > So... dojox.mobile is awesome.  I'm already working on getting an app to
>> > work using this and phonegap so that it runs as a native app on the
>> > iphone.
>> > One thing that I would like to see is a TabBar control that is displayed
>> > at
>> > the bottom of the view.  Is anybody working on anything like this?  I
>> > think
>> > I can help.  At the bare minimum, if somebody is working on this, I can
>> > beta
>> > test it for them and probably contribute bug fixes.
>> > On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 8:28 AM, Dylan Schiemann <dylan <at> dojotoolkit.org>
>> > wrote:

>> > --
>> > Bob Remeika
>> > http://bobremeika.com
>> > http://d-rails.org
>> > http://cometdproject.dojotoolkit.org/

> Bob Remeika
> http://bobremeika.com
> http://d-rails.org
> http://cometdproject.dojotoolkit.org/

Bob Remeika
http://bobremeika.com
http://d-rails.org
http://cometdproject.dojotoolkit.org/
Nikolai Onken | 3 May 09:08 2010

Re: dojox.mobile is awesome, also...

Hi Bob,

great work! We (David) released the TouchScroll component last week:

We should see how we can integrate it and join efforts to push mobile forward.

Nikolai

Do you have their email addresses?  That's something that I would be interested in.

I know that the guys at Uxebu are working on a fixed header + scroller
solution, an I presume that could be made work with a footer too.

Is there any ongoing work with data-driven widgets?  E.g. a list
generated from a JSON list, with onClick/onTap events sending along
the data item?  I'd like to help out on that if so.

Thanks

Shane

2010/5/2 Bob Remeika <bob.remeika <at> gmail.com>:
> So... dojox.mobile is awesome.  I'm already working on getting an app to
> work using this and phonegap so that it runs as a native app on the iphone.
> One thing that I would like to see is a TabBar control that is displayed at
> the bottom of the view.  Is anybody working on anything like this?  I think
> I can help.  At the bare minimum, if somebody is working on this, I can beta
> test it for them and probably contribute bug fixes.
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 8:28 AM, Dylan Schiemann <dylan <at> dojotoolkit.org>
> wrote:

> Bob Remeika
> http://bobremeika.com
> http://d-rails.org
> http://cometdproject.dojotoolkit.org/

Bob Remeika
http://bobremeika.com
http://d-rails.org
http://cometdproject.dojotoolkit.org/
Bob Remeika | 4 May 04:28 2010
Picon

Re: dojox.mobile is awesome, also...

Nikolai,

This is fantastic! :)  Works very well on my 3GS and it's exactly what I am looking for.

That being said, my goals might be slightly different than the goals of dojox.mobile.

I'm working on dojox.phonegap which is a bridge library for working with phonegap (not sure if you've heard of this).  The general goal of the project (dojox.phonegap) is to be able to access your iphone app over HTTP and reuse that code to build fully fledged native apps that can be sold in the appstore.

The possibilities include:

1. A single codebase for an http based iphone app and a native iphone app
2. I can forsee a widget that would suggest that you use the native app if you are using the http version
3. Better testing for phonegap apps while running in a real desktop browser
4. Cross platform compatibility
5. Better support for touch events (this can probably be melded into dojox.mobile)
6. Migration of current HTTP based dojox.mobile apps into a native app that can be sold
6. Making millions of dollars :)

There's probably a bunch I haven't thought of, but the need stemmed out of an iphone app that I built using phonegap.  It was very difficult to test this app when loading it up in the browser.  dojox.phonegap will include a debug console that lets you simulate hardware events via the browser so that you can see how something might work without doing a build out to the iphone simulator.  I imagine that the debug console can also do things that the simulator can't like simulating a specific location (although maybe the simulator has that now).

Obviously I'm mostly focused on the iphone right now, but I would like to get this working for the android and other smart phones as well.

I am *definitely* interested in help for dojox.phonegap and contributing to dojox.mobile.  Are you planning to port your TouchScroll widget over to dojox.mobile?  I think that would be huge for the project and I definitely know that I would like to use it.

Also, if you are interested in dojox.phonegap, then check out my dojox fork on github.  I have a couple of other subprojects in there like dojox.rails and dojox.inflector (they both need polishing before I submit them), but if you fork my repo you'll notice that pretty much everything else looks the same with the addition of dojox.phonegap.  I have applied one small patch to dojox.mobile (http://bugs.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/11077) already, but I have submitted it, hopefully it makes it in.

Here is my dojox fork:

DISCLAIMER: dojox.phonegap is very unstable and young at the moment.  I just started this last week and I neglected to look for dojox.mobile.  This weekend I basically took most of the code that I had written and threw it away in favor of using dojox.mobile as the base renderer for mobile apps that can be loaded via http.