David March | 29 Mar 17:30 2009
Picon

Re: Polipo on Windows. Basic tips for installing/experiences

Yesterday I downloaded the current tree from the darcs repository and
compiled it using minGW as specified in the Windows Readme.  Unfortunately
Polipo seems even less stable than the previous release candidate.  Whereas
with the RC from september 2008 I experienced crashes about once a day, I
now experience them about every 30 minutes.  I have to run Polipo within a
loop.

I've noticed some issues as well.

When attempting disk cache truncating, the following occurs:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\polipo>polipo -x -c config

Couldn't fts_open disk cache: Function not implemented
Disk cache purged.
0 files, 0 considered, 0 removed, 0 truncated (0kB -> 0kB).
0 directories, 0 removed.

I also get a considerable amount of these errors:

"Couldn't read from client: Unknown error"

And a few of these:

Couldn't unlink /var/cache/polipo/
www.SCRUBBEDBYME.com/o8qoKu-N0XTyFUQG1rd3nA==: P
ermission denied
(Continue reading)

phobos | 29 Mar 18:08 2009

Re: Polipo on Windows. Basic tips for installing/experiences

: Yesterday I downloaded the current tree from the darcs repository and
: compiled it using minGW as specified in the Windows Readme.  Unfortunately
: Polipo seems even less stable than the previous release candidate.  Whereas
: with the RC from september 2008 I experienced crashes about once a day, I
: now experience them about every 30 minutes.  I have to run Polipo within a
: loop.

Since you're using mingw, can you run gdb and get a backtrace from the
crashes?  I haven't seen these crashes in XP SP3 yet.

: It looks as if the disk cache on windows has major issues.

If you compile without disk cache, do the problems go away?

Andrew

David March | 30 Mar 01:43 2009
Picon

Re: Polipo on Windows. Basic tips for installing/experiences

Upon futher inspection, Disk cache truncating (using polipo -x) appears to
be completely broke on native Windows when using Mingw.  The following is
printed to the log:

"Couldn't fts_open disk cache: Function not implemented"

Upon examination just as it suggeststhe fts_* functions aren't really
implemented fully in MinGw.

http://www.gnu.org/software/hello/manual/gnulib/fts_005fopen.html

"...

Portability problems not fixed by Gnulib:
This function is missing on some platforms: AIX 5.1, HP-UX 11, IRIX 6.5,
OSF/1 5.1, Solaris 10, mingw, BeOS.

..."

Another instance on this causing problems in another project:

http://www.mail-archive.com/bug-gnulib <at> gnu.org/msg13060.html

It almost looks like either special modification to the code to handle MinGW
would be needed or a special truncating utility for native windows would
need to be made in order to get such a thing working on the win side...