UH | 17 Jun 19:54 2013

504 Connect to 127.0.0.1:8123 failed: SOCKS request rejected or failed

I'm running polipo under crunchbang waldorf (based on debian sid) as a
caching proxy which forwards socks to tor. My main browser is midori.
When i try to open the web interface of polipo, i'm getting this
error:

---------------------------------
The following error occurred while trying to access http://127.0.0.1:8123/:

504 Connect to 127.0.0.1:8123 failed: SOCKS request rejected or failed
-------------------------------

The settings explicitely set in polipo's config file are:

proxyAddress = "127.0.0.1"    # IPv4 only
proxyPort = 8123
allowedClients = 127.0.0.1, 192.168.1.0/150
allowedPorts = 1-65535
proxyName = "localhost"
cacheIsShared = false
socksParentProxy = "127.0.0.1:9050"
socksProxyType = socks4a
censoredHeaders = from, accept-language,x-pad,link
censorReferer = maybe
disableLocalInterface = false

Thanks in advance for any pointer. I'm pretty much clueless here . . .

Cheers!

Juliusz Chroboczek | 10 Jul 21:26 2013
Picon

Re: 504 Connect to 127.0.0.1:8123 failed: SOCKS request rejected or failed

> ---------------------------------
> The following error occurred while trying to access http://127.0.0.1:8123/:
>
> 504 Connect to 127.0.0.1:8123 failed: SOCKS request rejected or failed
> -------------------------------

Are you able to connect to 127.0.0.1:8123 using telnet or nc?

-- Juliusz

U H | 14 Jul 22:12 2013

Am 10.07.2013 21:26, schrieb Juliusz Chroboczek:
>> ---------------------------------
>> The following error occurred while trying to access http://127.0.0.1:8123/:
>>
>> 504 Connect to 127.0.0.1:8123 failed: SOCKS request rejected or failed
>> -------------------------------
> Are you able to connect to 127.0.0.1:8123 using telnet or nc?
>
> -- Juliusz

No.

me <at> mycomputer :~# telnet 127.0.0.1:8123
telnet: could not resolve 127.0.0.1:8123/telnet: Name or service not known

But: I notice the following:

In the browser i can access 127.0.0.1:8123 and i get this window:

  Welcome to Polipo

The Polipo manual <http://127.0.0.1:8123/doc/>.

The configuration interface <http://127.0.0.1:8123/polipo/>.

The manual opens fine, the configuration interface not (gives 404 error)

U H | 14 Jul 23:39 2013

Am 14.07.2013 22:18, schrieb Juliusz Chroboczek:
> Sorry, my bad.
>
> What happens when you do
>
>   telnet 127.0.0.1 9050
>
> Are you sure that tor is running?
>
> -- Juliusz

Stupid me. I put in a : between address and port. It's all fine,
connection to either polipo either tor is done.  May i ask some other
question? I think i read well the manual but i'm not really a networking
expert.

Should the built-in cache to the browser get disabled when working with
polipo?

Now, that i found out Polipo could point to the adblocklists, i think i
can get rid of privoxy (and squid as well). I'll try to build a
(raspberry based) tor box with also polipo on it. Do you think that's a
viable idea (or should polipo rather be used locally)?

Thanks in advance for any idea!

U H | 15 Jul 17:36 2013

Re: 504 Connect to 127.0.0.1:8123 failed: SOCKS request rejected or failed

> The manual opens fine, the configuration interface not (gives 404 error)
> This is normal, and is described in the manual.

Now, that at least polipo is up and running. I've had a look into the manual and i presume that config should be
enabled by default. To be sure, i also tried with

disableLocalInterface = false
disableConfiguration = false

But nothing changed. I cannot access the configuration from the webinterface.

Then, just a question: The forbiddenFile option should be set explicitely (forbiddenFile =
/etc/polipo/forbidden) to be effective? Or without setting it points automatically to /etc/polipo/forbidden?

Thanks a lot in advance for your patience.

Juliusz Chroboczek | 13 Aug 11:33 2013

You did type http://localhost:8123 in your web browser?

> Then, just a question: The forbiddenFile option should be set
> explicitely (forbiddenFile = /etc/polipo/forbidden) to be effective?
> Or without setting it points automatically to /etc/polipo/forbidden?

This is described in the manual.

-- Juliusz