Karl O. Pinc | 25 May 19:12 2013

Spurious empty files in data/pages/

Hi,

I'm running MoinMoin 1.9.6 [release] on Scientific
Linux (A RHEL clone) 6.4.

I've moin configured so that anyone may create a
user, but users cannot create any pages unless
they are in a group, and the group page is itself
protected.

Spammers are creating users.  This is not a problem;
I detect and delete them periodically.  However,
spammers are attempting to create pages and each
time this happens moin leaves an empty file in
data/pages/.

The proliferation of these files is causing problems.

It would be nice if moin only allowed a user to
attempt page creation when the user has permission,
but that's for the future.  Right now I want to
know if there's a way I can prevent moin from creating
the empty files and plugging up the filesystem.

Yes, I can get rid of the pages with 'moin maint cleanpage',
and I do.  But I'd much rather not have the pages
created in the first place.

Is there a solution?

(Continue reading)

Thomas Waldmann | 25 May 23:12 2013
Picon

Re: Spurious empty files in data/pages/

> Spammers are creating users.  This is not a problem;

You can use textchas against that. Or forbid newaccount action (if you
can create users manually on the shell).

> However,
> spammers are attempting to create pages and each
> time this happens moin leaves an empty file in
> data/pages/.
>
> The proliferation of these files is causing problems.
>
> It would be nice if moin only allowed a user to
> attempt page creation when the user has permission,
> but that's for the future.  Right now I want to
> know if there's a way I can prevent moin from creating
> the empty files and plugging up the filesystem.

See there:

http://hg.moinmo.in/moin/1.9/rev/6489ec33874d

> Yes, I can get rid of the pages with 'moin maint cleanpage',
> and I do.  But I'd much rather not have the pages
> created in the first place.

Sure. :)
It took a while to find the right place to fix that, that part of the
code is rather twisted.

(Continue reading)

Karl O. Pinc | 26 May 02:33 2013

On 05/25/2013 04:12:40 PM, Thomas Waldmann wrote:
> > Spammers are creating users.  This is not a problem;
> <snip>
> > However,
> > spammers are attempting to create pages and each
> > time this happens moin leaves an empty file in
> > data/pages/.
> >
> > The proliferation of these files is causing problems.
> >
> > It would be nice if moin only allowed a user to
> > attempt page creation when the user has permission,
> > but that's for the future.  Right now I want to
> > know if there's a way I can prevent moin from creating
> > the empty files and plugging up the filesystem.
>
> See there:
>
> http://hg.moinmo.in/moin/1.9/rev/6489ec33874d

Thank you very much.

> > P.S.  FYI.  User creation also creates an empty file
> > in data/pages.  This is an unnecessary use of filesystem
> > resource until and if the user actually puts something
> > on their user page.
>
> If that is still the case after applying the fix I linked above,
> please
> tell so (or file a bug on moinmo.in wiki).
(Continue reading)

Karl O. Pinc | 28 May 19:29 2013

Re: Spurious empty files in data/pages/

On 05/25/2013 04:12:40 PM, Thomas Waldmann wrote:
> > Spammers are creating users.  This is not a problem;
> <snip>
> > However,
> > spammers are attempting to create pages and each
> > time this happens moin leaves an empty file in
> > data/pages/.
> >
> > The proliferation of these files is causing problems.
> >
> > It would be nice if moin only allowed a user to
> > attempt page creation when the user has permission,
> > but that's for the future.  Right now I want to
> > know if there's a way I can prevent moin from creating
> > the empty files and plugging up the filesystem.
>
> See there:
>
> http://hg.moinmo.in/moin/1.9/rev/6489ec33874d

I applied this patch to 1.9.7 (via hacking the rpm for fedora 19,
moin-1.9.7-1.fc19.src.rpm).  It seems to have solved
the problem.  Thanks!