Alan Jesser | 11 May 21:34 2013
Picon

Wt WebGL Game Engine

So I've been looking at a few HTML5/WebGL game engines lately. Then I remembered that Wt has WebGL support, and I noticed sound as well. Besides needing a few extra features like physics, has anyone thought of using Wt to make a WebGL game? I would rather use Wt to do this than raw JS plus Wt would give me more control over server side communication.

The payment system could probably be expanded to allow for micro transactions as well.

Alan
PvK | 11 May 21:42 2013
Picon

Re: Wt WebGL Game Engine

I am working on a Wt game, but I haven't been expecting to have a lot of graphics, though I am very interested in
what can be done...

--- nigot30@... wrote:

From: Alan Jesser <nigot30@...>
To: "witty-interest@..."	<witty-interest@...>
Subject: [Wt-interest] Wt WebGL Game Engine
Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 14:34:19 -0500

So I've been looking at a few HTML5/WebGL game engines lately. Then I remembered that Wt has WebGL support,
and I noticed sound as well. Besides needing a few extra features like physics, has anyone thought of using
Wt to make a WebGL game? I would rather use Wt to do this than raw JS plus Wt would give me more control over
server side communication.

The payment system could probably be expanded to allow for micro transactions as well.

Alan

Wim Dumon | 13 May 09:24 2013
Picon

Re: Wt WebGL Game Engine

I haven't used Wt's webgl support for games yet. While it's perfect to render static data with a client-side camera viewpoint manipulation handler, I'm not sure if the idea behind the interface is appropriate for all types of games, especially when the scene changes dynamically - you must keep the client-server communication minimal for interactive games. For those scenarios, I'd be very interested to see how the emscripten approach can be integrated with Wt, which would be a great combo (emscripten for client-side rendering, Wt for communication and general application logic).

BR,
Wim.

I am working on a Wt game, but I haven't been expecting to have a lot of graphics, though I am very interested in what can be done...

So I've been looking at a few HTML5/WebGL game engines lately. Then I remembered that Wt has WebGL support, and I noticed sound as well. Besides needing a few extra features like physics, has anyone thought of using Wt to make a WebGL game? I would rather use Wt to do this than raw JS plus Wt would give me more control over server side communication.

The payment system could probably be expanded to allow for micro transactions as well.

Alan

Alan Jesser | 13 May 17:10 2013
Picon

Re: Wt WebGL Game Engine

I don't know about others but I don't believe that everyone has a fast enough and stable enough internet connection to deploy any type of game that may require a lot of constant communication, or the fact that many ISPs put data caps on now. That is why I'm going to use Unigine to make my games that do require that. As for WebGL my plan was to make a collectible card game with it. Communication is minimal and asynchronous. My assets are going to be pretty static but I can display them in a 3D environment with WebGL. To ease loading I'll see about using HTML5 data storage feature and also make sure that Wt can check them as well. This should alleviate the need to always load the assets on each visit to the site.

The idea of merging Wt with empscripten is interesting. I've been keeping an eye on that project since Unigine has been shown to work with it and their latest SDK makes it easier to use.

Thanks for heads up Wim.

Alan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Learn Graph Databases - Download FREE O'Reilly Book "Graph Databases" is the definitive new guide to graph databases and their applications. This 200-page book is written by three acclaimed leaders in the field. The early access version is available now. Download your free book today! http://p.sf.net/sfu/neotech_d2d_may