Venkata sriram P | 4 May 21:46 2012
Picon

Sharaba

Namaste,

//
Does this in any way mean that Sankara does not accept the Shaiva view?
//

Sankara Bhagavatpada is neither against vaiSNava nor saiva.  Otherwise, He would not
have advocated panchAyatana worship.  That which is shruti viruddha, has been
rejected and abandoned.  As simple as that.

That said, the purpose of sankara bhagavatpada's birth was meant entirely
for a different purpose which He accomplished in a short span of 32 years !

shrI vidyAraNya in Vedanta Panchadasi says:

itO(a)pyatishayaM matvA mantrAnvashyAdikAriNaH
mUDA japantu tEbhyO(a)timUDAH kriSimupAsatAM

Among the 2 forms of upAsanAs viz., nirguNa and saguNa, the nirguNa is superior.
So, tattva chintana is uttama mArga.  Only the mUDAH (fools) who are mandAdhikArIs
take to mantra mArga and practice vaSIkaraNa mantrAs.

sharabha sALuva mantra is not capable of giving chitta shuddhi.  It is only used to mAraNa
prayOgAs, Atma rakSa from AbhichArika prayOgAs against some forms of krityA prayOga.  It is a tAmasika
mantra and *AkAsa bhairava kalpa* details out it's worship.

Whereas, nrisimha mantra is called *mantra rAja* and all the Acharyas of Sringeri
worship this nrisimha anuSTup mantra as a part of their nityAnuSTAna and followed
by pArAyaNa of nrisimha pUrva & uttara tApini upaniSad.  The bija mantra *mrityu mrityuM* confers
immortality to the upAsaka.
(Continue reading)

Satish Arigela | 5 May 12:03 2012
Picon

Re: Sharaba

namaste Sriram garu,

>Sankara Bhagavatpada is neither against vaiSNava nor saiva.  Otherwise, He would not
>have advocated panchAyatana worship.  That which is shruti viruddha, has been
>rejected and abandoned.

There is no evidence of shankara having advocated pa~nchAyatana pUja. Scholars are of the opinion that it
came sometime later after shankara. shruti viruddha : I am yawning as I see this: :-)

>Among the 2 forms of upAsanAs viz., nirguNa and saguNa, the nirguNa is superior.
>So, tattva chintana is uttama mArga.  Only the mUDAH (fools) who are mandAdhikArIs
>take to mantra mArga and practice vaSIkaraNa mantrAs.

There seems to be too much mix up here.

Taking to mantra mArga and practicing vashIkaraNa mantra-s are two different things. They are not the same.

What is mandAdhikAri and what is not, is again a matter of perspective. You sure have seen many upAsaka-s and
you know that genuine mantra shAstra teachers do not go out in public and give mantra-s to mandamati-s.

Again we have seen examples of complete idiots who even lack basic common sense given sanyAsa in shankara
sAmpradAya itself.

>sharabha sALuva mantra is not capable of giving chitta shuddhi.  It is only used to mAraNa
>prayOgAs,
 Atma rakSa from AbhichArika prayOgAs against some forms of krityA
prayOga.  It is a tAmasika mantra >and *AkAsa bhairava kalpa* details out
 it's worship.

No mantra, whether pa~nchAkShari or aShTAkShari gives you chitta shuddhi by default. They might give