Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen | 2 Jan 08:58 2011
Face
Picon

Re: time zone?

Maxim Yanchenko <maximyanchenko <at> yandex.ru> writes:

> I see all dates/times are shifted by one hour from GMT.

Also called "CET".

  larsi <at> gnus.org * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Maxim Yanchenko | 5 Jan 12:24 2011
Picon

Re: time zone?

> > I see all dates/times are shifted by one hour from GMT.
>
> Also called "CET".

So? Is it by design? Is it unavoidable? Is it guaranteed to always by this
shift? Or there is a way to specify user's timezone?
Steinar Bang | 5 Jan 12:43 2011

Re: time zone?

> So? Is it by design?

Well... it's the server's time zone, which is the usual practice.
Maxim Yanchenko | 6 Jan 05:36 2011
Picon

Re: time zone?

Steinar Bang <sb <at> dod.no> writes:

> > So? Is it by design?
>
> Well... it's the server's time zone, which is the usual practice.

Even if it's usual practice I don't know of, it's still very inconvenient to a
user who lives in a completely different timezone, like me living in Japan.

Why not having a simple cookie with the user time zone, so the server could make
timestamps according to it?

Of course, I could make a GreaseMonkey script to adjust time/date inside my
browser, but the problem is that the date in the list doesn't contain year, thus
making the conversion unreliable (date conversion depends on year as daylight
saving adjustments happen on different dates).

It's way easier for the server to do this conversion.
Just a humble feature request for overall great site.

Thanks,
Maxim
Duncan | 6 Jan 09:26 2011

Re: time zone?

Maxim Yanchenko posted on Thu, 06 Jan 2011 04:36:10 +0000 as excerpted:

> Steinar Bang <sb <at> dod.no> writes:
>>
>> > So? Is it by design?
>>
>> Well... it's the server's time zone, which is the usual practice.
>>

> Even if it's usual practice I don't know of, it's still very
> inconvenient to a user who lives in a completely different timezone,
> like me living in Japan.
>
> Why not having a simple cookie with the user time zone, so the server
> could make timestamps according to it?
>
> Of course, I could make a GreaseMonkey script to adjust time/date inside
> my browser, but the problem is that the date in the list doesn't contain
> year, thus making the conversion unreliable (date conversion depends on
> year as daylight saving adjustments happen on different dates).
>
> It's way easier for the server to do this conversion.
> Just a humble feature request for overall great site.

I believe users who care /that/ much about the time posted are supposed to
use the nntp interface with their preferred nntp client.  Sane nntp
clients will do that conversion automatically based on the system timezone
settings and/or have a setting that controls it.  The web archive version
is a convenient way to point readers that might not have a news client to
a port or thread (particularly when there's a link available in the news
(Continue reading)

Adam Sjøgren | 6 Jan 09:56 2011
X-Face
Picon

Re: time zone?

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 04:36:10 +0000 (UTC), Maxim wrote:

> Even if it's usual practice I don't know of, it's still very
> inconvenient to a user who lives in a completely different timezone,
> like me living in Japan.

> Why not having a simple cookie with the user time zone, so the server
> could make timestamps according to it?

Why not use nntp to read the articles on gmane, as God intended?

  :-),

   Adam

 "Accept the mystery!"                                        Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo <at> koldfront.dk
Maxim Yanchenko | 9 Jan 15:35 2011
Picon

Re: time zone?

> > Why not having a simple cookie with the user time zone, so the server
> > could make timestamps according to it?
>
> Why not use nntp to read the articles on gmane, as God intended?

I can't use nntp at work :(

Anyway, it's just a humble feature request.
I, being a programmer, don't see any problem with implementing this, but it's up
to Lars, of course. Would be a great addition to the site, if done.

Thanks,
Maxim
Matija Nalis | 15 Jan 23:03 2011
Picon

Re: time zone?

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 14:35:22 +0000 (UTC), Maxim Yanchenko <maximyanchenko <at> yandex.ru> wrote:
>> > Why not having a simple cookie with the user time zone, so the server
>> > could make timestamps according to it?
>>
>> Why not use nntp to read the articles on gmane, as God intended?
>
> I can't use nntp at work :(
>
> Anyway, it's just a humble feature request.
> I, being a programmer, don't see any problem with implementing this, but it's up
> to Lars, of course. Would be a great addition to the site, if done.

I think the code is available on  https://github.com/larsmagne/weft
so why don't you, as a programmer, implement this feature and send link to your
git repository?

Opinions above are GNU-copylefted.

Gmane