Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen | 3 Apr 01:31 2011
Face
Picon

Gwene scripts published

I've put the Gwene scripts on GitHub for public ridicule:

http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2011/04/running-rss-to-nntp-gateway.html

Antoine Levitt | 7 Apr 13:48 2011
Picon

Re: Gwene scripts published

03/04/11 01:31, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
> I've put the Gwene scripts on GitHub for public ridicule:
>
> http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2011/04/running-rss-to-nntp-gateway.html

Cool!

I'd be interested in using it locally to get private feeds (for
instance, facebook feeds, that sort of things)

How easy is it to set up? And what kind of software do I need?

(also, it might be useful to put this link in the about page of
gwene.org)

Antoine
Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen | 7 Apr 22:39 2011
Face
Picon

Re: Gwene scripts published

Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt <at> gmail.com> writes:

> How easy is it to set up? And what kind of software do I need?

It's probably very easy to set up.  And you need a news server.

> (also, it might be useful to put this link in the about page of
> gwene.org)

Yup.

Antoine Levitt | 8 Apr 09:52 2011
Picon

Re: Gwene scripts published

07/04/11 22:39, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
> Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> How easy is it to set up? And what kind of software do I need?
>
> It's probably very easy to set up.  And you need a news server.

Indeed it is. I just had to install leafnode (added benefit, between
this and dovecot, my gnus now only connects to localhost, so it's very
fast), change one of two paths and server names inside the scripts, and
voila. Very cool :)

I've run into an unexpected difficulty though: gwene does post the feeds
to the local server (I use leafnode), leafnode puts them in
/var/spool/news/out.going, but then leafnode only wants to post them to
the gwene.org mothership (which I've forbidden with nopost=1), not serve
them locally. Any idea how I could force this?

Also, any reason why you have

$nntp->quit;
$nntp = Net::NNTP->new( <at> nntp) || die "cannot connect to NNTP server";

line 303? This seems to mess things up for me, so I just commented it
out.
Kevin Ryde | 8 Apr 22:25 2011

Re: Gwene scripts published

Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt <at> gmail.com> writes:

> leafnode

As a bit of self promotion (again, still), for just that I made myself
http://user42.tuxfamily.org/rss2leafnode/index.html

But there's a few personal rss -> message converters to choose from.
rss2email (python) seemed pretty reasonable.  rssdrop (perl) may be
straightforward if it does enough.  Or try plagger (perl) for big
configurability, more towards rss aggregator territory.

> I've run into an unexpected difficulty though: gwene does post the feeds
> to the local server (I use leafnode), leafnode puts them in
> /var/spool/news/out.going, but then leafnode only wants to post them to
> the gwene.org mothership (which I've forbidden with nopost=1), not serve
> them locally. Any idea how I could force this?

It might be only leafnode version 2 which allows local groups (not
propagating anywhere, just posted to and served up locally).  It's been
"beta" for a long time, but works.

With leafnode 2 and a local group already created I think a post goes
straight into the spool, not out.going.
Antoine Levitt | 8 Apr 23:06 2011
Picon

Re: Gwene scripts published

08/04/11 22:25, Kevin Ryde
> Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> leafnode
>
> As a bit of self promotion (again, still), for just that I made myself
> http://user42.tuxfamily.org/rss2leafnode/index.html
>
> But there's a few personal rss -> message converters to choose from.
> rss2email (python) seemed pretty reasonable.  rssdrop (perl) may be
> straightforward if it does enough.  Or try plagger (perl) for big
> configurability, more towards rss aggregator territory.

I'm pretty happy with gwene right now (except that curl randomly fails
for no reason). But your implementation looks very cool too, and I like
the option to look at a webpage for changes and to use Last-Modified
headers.

I'll take a look at it at some point.

>> I've run into an unexpected difficulty though: gwene does post the feeds
>> to the local server (I use leafnode), leafnode puts them in
>> /var/spool/news/out.going, but then leafnode only wants to post them to
>> the gwene.org mothership (which I've forbidden with nopost=1), not serve
>> them locally. Any idea how I could force this?
>
> It might be only leafnode version 2 which allows local groups (not
> propagating anywhere, just posted to and served up locally).  It's been
> "beta" for a long time, but works.
(Continue reading)

Kevin Ryde | 9 Apr 00:24 2011

Re: Gwene scripts published

Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt <at> gmail.com> writes:

> option to look at a webpage for changes

I'd be surprised if nobody ever made something doing that before, but I
hadn't spotted one.  Downloading an image file directly is quite cute
too, if you want to look at a weather map or something without
surrounding verbiage (and read news from a gui of course).

> Last-Modified headers.

Quite a few news-ish pages I've followed don't have good values for
that, or make automated updates with mere date/time too often.  But it
can at least do some good with a good site.

> leafnode2 using local groups.

I tried "sn" small news too, it wasn't hard to get going locally.
Someone must have a summary of the free small/medium server programs
somewhere.  Or maybe leafnode is the first choice :-).

Some people say cricket is like watching grass grow.  That's not true,
International Rules Grass Growing is much more exciting.  Cricket takes
5 days ending in a draw, but grass growing is 4 days and sure to have a
winner.
Duncan | 9 Apr 02:39 2011

Re: Gwene scripts published

Kevin Ryde posted on Sat, 09 Apr 2011 08:24:49 +1000 as excerpted:

>> leafnode2 using local groups.
>
> I tried "sn" small news too, it wasn't hard to get going locally.
> Someone must have a summary of the free small/medium server programs
> somewhere.  Or maybe leafnode is the first choice :-).

FWIW, Leafnode's definitely the one I see most often mentioned in the
context of FLOSS news servers.  There are a few others out there, but
leafnode definitely does seem to have the mindshare.

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen | 12 Apr 20:14 2011
Face
Picon

Re: Gwene scripts published

Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Also, any reason why you have
>
> $nntp->quit;
> $nntp = Net::NNTP->new( <at> nntp) || die "cannot connect to NNTP server";

My inn and/or Net::NNTP seemed to refuse to post more than one message
per connection, but quitting and reconnecting seemed to work.

Kevin Ryde | 8 Apr 22:09 2011

Re: Gwene scripts published

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi <at> gnus.org> writes:

> public ridicule:

In case it helps, MIME::Words encode_mimewords() might do the rfc2047
header encoding bit,

    $str = MIME::Words::encode_mimewords (Encode::encode_utf8($str),
                                          Charset => 'UTF-8');

but call it only if there's non-ascii, as it seemed to like to encode
even ascii.  I never understood the caution in its docs about not
strictly complying or something.  Dunno if Email::MIME::RFC2047::Encoder
is better or worse in what subtle ways.

"Even the white bits were black."
Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen | 12 Apr 20:16 2011
Face
Picon

Re: Gwene scripts published

Kevin Ryde <user42 <at> zip.com.au> writes:

> In case it helps, MIME::Words encode_mimewords() might do the rfc2047
> header encoding bit,
>
>     $str = MIME::Words::encode_mimewords (Encode::encode_utf8($str),
>                                           Charset => 'UTF-8');
>
> but call it only if there's non-ascii, as it seemed to like to encode
> even ascii.  I never understood the caution in its docs about not
> strictly complying or something.  Dunno if Email::MIME::RFC2047::Encoder
> is better or worse in what subtle ways.

Right.  I think I did try that one (I remember trying at least two
different Perl rfc2047 encoders), and neither worked to my
satisfaction.  But I no longer recall what the problem was.

I should have put the scripts under git immediately, so that the git log
could have told me what the problem was.  :-)