Thufir | 6 Apr 17:44 2012

error: news.gmane.org: received bogus greeting (400):... try later

Leafnode gives this from time to time.  I don't recall Pan ever giving
such an error, but maybe it was silent.  I've read that this could be
IPv6 related, but thought I'd ask here to clarify first.

Maybe it just means, literally, that gmane is busy and to try later?

thanks,

Thufir
Adam Sjøgren | 6 Apr 19:56 2012
X-Face

Re: error: news.gmane.org: received bogus greeting (400):... try later

On Fri, 6 Apr 2012 08:44:44 -0700, Thufir wrote:

> Maybe it just means, literally, that gmane is busy and to try later?

If the load is high, you might be rejected by INN - it even says what
the load is in the message. I have had that happen to me a couple of
times over the last weeks.

Best regards,

Adam

"You have to photosynthesize"                                Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo <at> koldfront.dk
Romain Francoise | 7 Apr 00:23 2012
X-Face

Re: error: news.gmane.org: received bogus greeting (400):... try later

asjo <at> koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

> If the load is high, you might be rejected by INN - it even says what
> the load is in the message. I have had that happen to me a couple of
> times over the last weeks.

Yes, it's very annoying that Gmane is sometimes unusable for hours at a
time because there's a load spike. Like today.
Adam Sjøgren | 7 Apr 01:17 2012
X-Face

Re: error: news.gmane.org: received bogus greeting (400):... try later

On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 00:23:36 +0200, Romain wrote:

> asjo <at> koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

>> If the load is high, you might be rejected by INN - it even says what
>> the load is in the message. I have had that happen to me a couple of
>> times over the last weeks.

> Yes, it's very annoying that Gmane is sometimes unusable for hours at a
> time because there's a load spike. Like today.

Maybe it will light a fire under Reticule¹? Or maybe "just" under the
SSDs²?

:-),

Adam

¹ http://reticule.gmane.org/
² http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2012/03/march-9th-2012.html etc.

"You have to photosynthesize"                                Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo <at> koldfront.dk
Jeff Grossman | 7 Apr 17:52 2012

Re: error: news.gmane.org: received bogus greeting (400):... try later

On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 01:17:31 +0200, Adam Sjøgren wrote:

>On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 00:23:36 +0200, Romain wrote:
>> asjo <at> koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:
>>> If the load is high, you might be rejected by INN - it even says what
>>> the load is in the message. I have had that happen to me a couple of
>>> times over the last weeks.
>> Yes, it's very annoying that Gmane is sometimes unusable for hours at a
>> time because there's a load spike. Like today.
>Maybe it will light a fire under Reticule¹? Or maybe "just" under the
>SSDs²?
>  :-),
>   Adam
>¹ http://reticule.gmane.org/http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2012/03/march-9th-2012.html etc.

I never knew about Reticule, very informative article.  I read about
the new server back in March, was it put into service?  I don't
remember seeing any load messages during March, but now in April I
have seen it twice.

Jeff

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen | 8 Jun 02:01 2012
Face

Re: error: news.gmane.org: received bogus greeting (400):... try later

Jeff Grossman <jeff <at> stikman.com> writes:

> I read about the new server back in March, was it put into service?

No, not yet.  One of these weekends...

(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/
Duncan | 6 Apr 20:09 2012

Re: error: news.gmane.org: received bogus greeting (400):... try later

Thufir posted on Fri, 06 Apr 2012 08:44:44 -0700 as excerpted:

> Leafnode gives this from time to time.  I don't recall Pan ever giving
> such an error, but maybe it was silent.  I've read that this could be
> IPv6 related, but thought I'd ask here to clarify first.
> Maybe it just means, literally, that gmane is busy and to try later?

Yes.  AFAIK gmane's servers have a threshold load level at which they
start turning away users.  They seem to have been hitting that sometimes
recently, according to reports.

AFAIK pan sends a stay-alive to the server periodically, so once
connected you should stay connected for awhile, even if idle.  But
leafnode, being a news server, will be dropping the connection when it's
idle and trying again when it's time to check again (tho there may be a
config option for that, I don't know leafnode).  So you'll get the error
more often because you'll be trying to get a new connection more often.

I've not turned on IPv6 here at all, so don't have much to say about it.
Someday I'll have to learn it and turn it on for my system...

Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
"Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman
Andreas Schwab | 6 Apr 20:32 2012

Re: error: news.gmane.org: received bogus greeting (400):... try later

Duncan <1i5t5.duncan <at> cox.net> writes:

> I've not turned on IPv6 here at all, so don't have much to say about it.

Since gmane doesn't have an IPv6 address this won't have any effect.

Andreas.

Andreas Schwab, schwab <at> linux-m68k.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5
"And now for something completely different."