Abdelrazak Younes | 1 Mar 09:34 2007
Picon

Re: web browser plug-in?

pol wrote:
> Has anybody ever tried to build a plug-in to enable web browsers to
> display lyx files?
> Lyx files would be displayed to users through konqueror, safari, firefox,
> ie-explorer toogether with a warning that, to print that file,
> latex is to be installed on the local station.
> What do you think?

It's a good idea and I guess many of us had the same idea many times a
year :-)

More seriously, LyX will switch to XML in 1.6. So, with proper XSL
technology, it should be possible to display a pretty good
representation of LyX content in xhtml format in any standard compliant
browser. Then you wouldn't even need a plugin.

Another idea would be to implement a javascript based convertor from lyx
to html. Shouldn't be very hard.

As for a proper LyX plugin, if it possible to implement such a beast in
Python, lyx2lyx could probably help there.

A server side LyX-based conversion to html is also a good solution.

Abdel.

pol | 1 Sep 22:21 2008
Picon

Re: web browser plug-in?

On 2007-03-01, Abdelrazak Younes <younes.a <at> ...> wrote:

> More seriously, LyX will switch to XML in 1.6. So, with proper XSL
> technology, it should be possible to display a pretty good
> representation of LyX content in xhtml format in any standard compliant
> browser. Then you wouldn't even need a plugin.

Any progress in this regard?

Thank you
--
Pol

Jean-Marc Lasgouttes | 2 Sep 09:59 2008

Re: web browser plug-in?

pol <xtekhne@...> writes:
> On 2007-03-01, Abdelrazak Younes <younes.a <at> ...> wrote:
>
>> More seriously, LyX will switch to XML in 1.6. So, with proper XSL
>> technology, it should be possible to display a pretty good
>> representation of LyX content in xhtml format in any standard compliant
>> browser. Then you wouldn't even need a plugin.
>
> Any progress in this regard?

This is not going to happen in 1.6.

JMarc

Abdelrazak Younes | 1 Mar 09:44 2007
Picon

Re: web browser plug-in?

Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
> More seriously, LyX will switch to XML in 1.6. So, with proper XSL
> technology, it should be possible to display a pretty good
> representation of LyX content in xhtml format in any standard compliant
> browser. Then you wouldn't even need a plugin.

This link has some info as to what is possible today for TeX math to
MathML conversion:

http://www.w3.org/Math/Software/mathml_software_cat_converters.html

Looks difficult to do it right, maybe we should switch to MathML format
in LyX?

Abdel.

Abdelrazak Younes | 1 Mar 09:48 2007
Picon

Re: web browser plug-in?

Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
> Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
>> More seriously, LyX will switch to XML in 1.6. So, with proper XSL
>> technology, it should be possible to display a pretty good
>> representation of LyX content in xhtml format in any standard
>> compliant browser. Then you wouldn't even need a plugin.
>
> This link has some info as to what is possible today for TeX math to
> MathML conversion:
>
> http://www.w3.org/Math/Software/mathml_software_cat_converters.html

Another convertor that seems promising:

http://hermes.roua.org/

Abdel.

christian.ridderstrom | 1 Mar 13:33 2007
Picon

Re: web browser plug-in?

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:

> A server side LyX-based conversion to html is also a good solution.

Or a job running on the server that converts the .lyx-files to PDF/DVI on
demand and serves those instead?  Or possibly HTML, depending on what's
desired.

Btw, this is similar to how mathematics is shown in the wiki. LaTeX code
is embedded in the page, and automatically converted to a GIF that's shown
instead of the LaTeX code.

Maybe the viewer could work with DVI, showing one page a time?

/C