Steve Litt | 19 Feb 02:21 2012

Free software writing appliance -- email clients

Hi all,

A few hours ago Russell Brunelle submitted a URL to his excellent blog
entry on making a spectacular free software writing appliance. In it he
recommended Evolution as an email client.

If you want a we-do-it-all-for-you PIM type email client, then
certainly Evolution is the way to go. But standard on-computer email
clients also have their adherents, as do webmail clients that often
reside on the server.

At this point I must inject this: Do NOT use Kmail under any
circumstances!

As one of the "I want my email client on my own darn computer" people,
I recently was forced to bail on Kmail and move to a combination of
Dovecot and Claws-Mail, which has been doing a spectacular job for the
past three weeks.

The following is a document telling how I made this transition, and how
anybody else can too:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/lpm/201202/201202.htm

This is especially relevant because Kmail is forcing its users to
transition to Kmail2, which is entangled with Akonadi. As one former
Kmail guy told me on another list, "To be honest, I haven't found a
single person who was able to convert to kmail2."

SteveT
(Continue reading)

Russell D Brunelle | 19 Feb 04:15 2012

Re: Free software writing appliance -- email clients

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012, Steve Litt wrote:

> In it he recommended Evolution as an email client.

FWIW I deleted that portion: it was left over from something else, and
really shouldn't have been there.

At the same time I made other edits based on some of the suggestions I've
received so far, including explictly mentioning sweave
(http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/LyxWithRThroughSweave), and flagging anything
that might be different under Ubuntu.

The combination of R and LyX is a powerful one.  I'm wondering if it would
be worth the time to make a YouTube video demonstrating what you can do
with R (via its Rstudio IDE) and LyX (via sweave): this alone might be a
compelling reason for a lot of science students to give this entire
arrangement a shot.

Russell

Yihui Xie | 19 Feb 04:43 2012

Re: Free software writing appliance -- email clients

Yes, LyX + R is really powerful. I have been thinking of making a
video on this topic, but have not got time so far.

BTW, I just noticed someone had updated the wiki page about Sweave to
reflect changes in LyX 2.0. I really appreciate it.

Regards,
Yihui
--
Yihui Xie <xieyihui <at> gmail.com>