Hans-Jörg Bibiko | 20 Mar 21:13 2012
Picon

[TM2] Very minor feature request - to highlight current line

Hi,

in TM 1.x it was possible to highlight the current line. In TM2 I can see a nice gutter effect which is feasible
for almost all cases but I'm sometimes editing plain text tables with rather long lines and here it'd be
nice to have a visual indicator for the current line to be able to read long lines better.

Thanks,
--Hans

Steve King | 20 Mar 21:58 2012
Picon

Re: [TM2] Very minor feature request - to highlight current line

On 2012-03-20 16:13, Hans-Jörg Bibiko wrote:
> in TM 1.x it was possible to highlight the current line. In TM2 I can see a nice gutter effect which is
feasible for almost all cases but I'm sometimes editing plain text tables with rather long lines and here
it'd be nice to have a visual indicator for the current line to be able to read long lines better.

Seconded. I miss this feature from TM1.  I also miss the ability to
specify /italic text/ in the themes. I was kind of assuming both those
fell into the "not yet implemented" category. I hope that's the case
rather than them falling into the "not going to bother" category.

Steve King
Sr. Software Engineer
Arbor Networks
+1 734 821 1461
www.arbornetworks.com <http://www.arbornetworks.com/>

Jerry | 21 Mar 00:18 2012

On Mar 20, 2012, at 1:58 PM, Steve King wrote:

> On 2012-03-20 16:13, Hans-Jörg Bibiko wrote:
>> in TM 1.x it was possible to highlight the current line. In TM2 I can see a nice gutter effect which is
feasible for almost all cases but I'm sometimes editing plain text tables with rather long lines and here
it'd be nice to have a visual indicator for the current line to be able to read long lines better.

> Seconded. I miss this feature from TM1.  I also miss the ability to specify /italic text/ in the themes. I was
kind of assuming both those fell into the "not yet implemented" category. I hope that's the case rather
than them falling into the "not going to bother" category.

And bold, of course. Bold keywords are nice.
Jerry

> --
> Steve King
> Sr. Software Engineer
> Arbor Networks
> +1 734 821 1461
> www.arbornetworks.com <http://www.arbornetworks.com/>

Allan Odgaard | 21 Mar 02:49 2012

On 21/03/2012, at 06.18, Jerry wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2012, at 1:58 PM, Steve King wrote:
>
>> […] I also miss the ability to specify /italic text/ in the themes […]
> And bold, of course. […]

TM 2.0 uses CoreText which doesn’t synthesize bold and italic when the font has no such variant.

So you need to pick a font with a bold and italic variant for the theme styles to work. I have no plans of trying
to synthesize these styles myself (not really feasible) and Apple seems content with not having CoreText
do it (like the deprecated ATSUI did).

Steve King | 21 Mar 14:31 2012

On 2012-03-20 21:49, Allan Odgaard wrote:
> TM 2.0 uses CoreText which doesn’t synthesize bold and italic when the font has no such variant.
>
> So you need to pick a font with a bold and italic variant for the theme styles to work. I have no plans of trying
to synthesize these styles myself (not really feasible) and Apple seems content with not having CoreText
do it (like the deprecated ATSUI did).

Can't say I blame you, but... Ick.  Okay, anyone have a version of
Andale Mono with bold and italic variants?  Or have a program that will
synthesize such for me?

Steve King
Sr. Software Engineer
Arbor Networks
+1 734 821 1461
www.arbornetworks.com <http://www.arbornetworks.com/>

Attachment (smime.p7s): application/pkcs7-signature, 3463 bytes

Thomas Floeren | 22 Mar 01:58 2012

On 21.03.2012, at 14:31, Steve King wrote:

> On 2012-03-20 21:49, Allan Odgaard wrote:
>> TM 2.0 uses CoreText which doesn’t synthesize bold and italic when the font has no such variant.
>>
>> So you need to pick a font with a bold and italic variant for the theme styles to work. I have no plans of
trying to synthesize these styles myself (not really feasible) and Apple seems content with not having
CoreText do it (like the deprecated ATSUI did).

> Can't say I blame you, but... Ick.  Okay, anyone have a version of Andale Mono with bold and italic variants?
Or have a program that will synthesize such for me?

No, no synthesizer, but here is a nice list of monospaced fonts: http://hivelogic.com/articles/top-10-programming-fonts/

OS X (since 10.6 IIRC) comes with Menlo, a very nice Vera clone, with good antialiasing

Thomas

Steve King | 22 Mar 15:00 2012

On 2012-03-21 20:58, Thomas Floeren wrote:
No, no synthesizer, but here is a nice list of monospaced fonts: http://hivelogic.com/articles/top-10-programming-fonts/ OS X (since 10.6 IIRC) comes with Menlo, a very nice Vera clone, with good antialiasing

Menlo isn't bad, but I'm a huge fan of Andale Mono. It seems cleaner to me. Ah, well.

And what self-respecting "programming fonts" article can seriously recommend a font without a slashed zero? I mean, really. He says it's the only drawback of Droid Sans Mono, but talk about a show-stopper!

Sorry. If I seem opinionated about fonts it's only because I am. :-)

--
Steve King
Sr. Software Engineer

Keith Solomon | 22 Mar 15:05 2012

On 3/22/12 9:00 AM, Steve King wrote:
> And what self-respecting "programming fonts" article can seriously
> recommend a font without a slashed zero? I mean, really. He says it's
> the only drawback of Droid Sans Mono, but talk about a show-stopper!
There's both a slashed and a dotted zero version of Droid Sans
Mono...it's currently my go-to programming font...

http://blog.cosmix.org/2009/10/27/a-slashed-zero-droid-sans-mono/

Keith Solomon - ksolomon@...
My Blog - http://reciprocity.be/
My Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zarath0s/

Erik Neumann | 22 Mar 18:57 2012

Re: [TM2] Very minor feature request - to highlight current line

That article doesn't say which fonts have bold and italic variants.  Do any of the free fonts mentioned have bold/italic?  On my system I have 4 mono-spaced fonts;  only Courier and Courier New have bold/italic variants.  Andale Mono and Monoco are without variants.

--ErikN

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 5:58 PM, Thomas Floeren <thomas.floeren-BUHhN+a2lJ4@public.gmane.org> wrote:

On 21.03.2012, at 14:31, Steve King wrote:

> On 2012-03-20 21:49, Allan Odgaard wrote:
>> TM 2.0 uses CoreText which doesn’t synthesize bold and italic when the font has no such variant.
>>
>> So you need to pick a font with a bold and italic variant for the theme styles to work. I have no plans of trying to synthesize these styles myself (not really feasible) and Apple seems content with not having CoreText do it (like the deprecated ATSUI did).
>
> Can't say I blame you, but... Ick.  Okay, anyone have a version of Andale Mono with bold and italic variants?  Or have a program that will synthesize such for me?

No, no synthesizer, but here is a nice list of monospaced fonts: http://hivelogic.com/articles/top-10-programming-fonts/

OS X (since 10.6 IIRC) comes with Menlo, a very nice Vera clone, with good antialiasing

--
Thomas

Steve King | 22 Mar 19:29 2012

On 2012-03-22 13:57, Erik Neumann wrote:
That article doesn't say which fonts have bold and italic variants.  Do any of the free fonts mentioned have bold/italic?  On my system I have 4 mono-spaced fonts;  only Courier and Courier New have bold/italic variants.  Andale Mono and Monoco are without variants.

I tried one or two, but no joy. They only had the "Regular" variation. But while looking I came across a reference to Liberation Mono, which is free and does have the bold, italic, and bold italic variants. It looks very similar to Menlo.

https://fedorahosted.org/liberation-fonts/

--
Steve King
Sr. Software Engineer

John Labovitz | 22 Mar 19:47 2012

Re: [TM2] Very minor feature request - to highlight current line

I've been using Deju Vu Mono for all my monospaced needs, including TextMate. It does have all the usual
variants, and excellent Unicode support.

	http://dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/

--John

On 22 Mar 2012, at 11:29 AM, Steve King wrote:

> On 2012-03-22 13:57, Erik Neumann wrote:
>> That article doesn't say which fonts have bold and italic variants.  Do any of the free fonts mentioned
have bold/italic?  On my system I have 4 mono-spaced fonts;  only Courier and Courier New have bold/italic
variants.  Andale Mono and Monoco are without variants.

> I tried one or two, but no joy. They only had the "Regular" variation. But while looking I came across a
reference to Liberation Mono, which is free and does have the bold, italic, and bold italic variants. It
looks very similar to Menlo.

> https://fedorahosted.org/liberation-fonts/
>
> --
> Steve King
> Sr. Software Engineer
> Arbor Networks
> +1 734 821 1461
> www.arbornetworks.com <http://www.arbornetworks.com/>

Thomas Floeren | 22 Mar 22:39 2012

On 22.03.2012, at 18:57, Erik Neumann wrote:

> That article doesn't say which fonts have bold and italic variants.  Do any of the free fonts mentioned have
bold/italic?

Courier, Monofur, Deja Vu and Consolas come with styles (Monofur only italic).

(The Consolas family you can get here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=17879)

Another two – interesting – fonts with styles:

Envy Code R
http://damieng.com/blog/2008/05/26/envy-code-r-preview-7-coding-font-released

Anonymous Pro
http://www.ms-studio.com/FontSales/anonymouspro.html

Piero D\'Ancona | 21 Mar 21:05 2012
Picon

Re: [TM2] Very minor feature request - to highlight current line

I am also missing the current line highlight, that was
quite handy. The eyes can pick the right spot with much
less effort..

Piero