sinbad | 28 May 15:33 2012
Picon

align columns

i have a text as follows.

apple  banana
cat   dog
elephant fan
goat hen

i want to make the above text aligned as follows.

apple      banana
cat         dog
elephant fan
goat       hen

is there any simple technique without doing to manually.

cheers

Charles E Campbell | 28 May 15:51 2012

Re: align columns

On May 28, 2012, at 9:33 AM, sinbad <sinbad.sinbad <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> i have a text as follows.
>
> apple  banana
> cat   dog
> elephant fan
> goat hen
>
> i want to make the above text aligned as follows.
>
> apple      banana
> cat         dog
> elephant fan
> goat       hen
>
> is there any simple technique without doing to manually.

See if http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#ALIGN helps (in particular, the \tsp mapping).

Regards,
C Campbell

sinbad | 28 May 18:35 2012
Picon

Re: align columns

On May 28, 6:51 pm, Charles E Campbell <drc... <at> campbellfamily.biz>
wrote:
> On May 28, 2012, at 9:33 AM, sinbad <sinbad.sin... <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > i have a text as follows.
>
> > apple  banana
> > cat   dog
> > elephant fan
> > goat hen
>
> > i want to make the above text aligned as follows.
>
> > apple      banana
> > cat         dog
> > elephant fan
> > goat       hen
>
> > is there any simple technique without doing to manually.
>
> See ifhttp://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#ALIGNhelps (in particular, the \tsp mapping).
>
> Regards,
> C Campbell

while installing using tarball, i'm getting the following errors.
any idea why ?

***vimball*** Source this file to extract it! (:so %)
removed 6 files
(Continue reading)

Charles E Campbell Jr | 29 May 04:48 2012

Re: align columns

sinbad wrote:
> On May 28, 6:51 pm, Charles E Campbell<drc... <at> campbellfamily.biz>
> wrote:
>
>> On May 28, 2012, at 9:33 AM, sinbad<sinbad.sin... <at> gmail.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> i have a text as follows.
>>>

>>> apple  banana
>>> cat   dog
>>> elephant fan
>>> goat hen
>>>

>>> i want to make the above text aligned as follows.
>>>

>>> apple      banana
>>> cat         dog
>>> elephant fan
>>> goat       hen
>>>

>>> is there any simple technique without doing to manually.
>>>
>> See ifhttp://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#ALIGNhelps (in particular, the \tsp mapping).
>>
>> Regards,
(Continue reading)

sinbad | 29 May 06:46 2012
Picon

Re: align columns

On May 29, 7:48 am, Charles E Campbell Jr <drc... <at> campbellfamily.biz>
wrote:
> sinbad wrote:
> > On May 28, 6:51 pm, Charles E Campbell<drc... <at> campbellfamily.biz>
> > wrote:

> >> See ifhttp://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#ALIGNhelps(in particular, the \tsp mapping).
>
> >> Regards,
> >> C Campbell
>
> > while installing using tarball, i'm getting the following errors.
(Continue reading)

Tony Mechelynck | 29 May 08:50 2012
Picon

Re: align columns

On 29/05/12 06:46, sinbad wrote:
> On May 29, 7:48 am, Charles E Campbell Jr <drc... <at> campbellfamily.biz>
> wrote:
>> sinbad wrote:

(Continue reading)

sinbad | 19 Jul 14:38 2012
Picon

Re: align columns

On Monday, May 28, 2012 7:21:59 PM UTC+5:30, DrChip wrote:
> On May 28, 2012, at 9:33 AM, sinbad &lt;sinb** <at> gmail.com&gt; wrote:
>
> &gt; i have a text as follows.
> &gt;
> &gt; apple  banana
> &gt; cat   dog
> &gt; elephant fan
> &gt; goat hen
> &gt;
> &gt; i want to make the above text aligned as follows.
> &gt;
> &gt; apple      banana
> &gt; cat         dog
> &gt; elephant fan
> &gt; goat       hen
> &gt;
> &gt; is there any simple technique without doing to manually.
>
> See if http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#ALIGN helps (in particular, the \tsp mapping).
>
> Regards,
> C Campbell

hi how can i do align only for the last column.
meaning if there are n columns first n-1 collumns
should be treated as one group and the last column should
be treated as another group.

for example if the text is as follows
(Continue reading)

Charles Campbell | 19 Jul 16:24 2012
Picon

Re: align columns

sinbad wrote:
> On Monday, May 28, 2012 7:21:59 PM UTC+5:30, DrChip wrote:
>
>> On May 28, 2012, at 9:33 AM, sinbad&lt;sinb** <at> gmail.com&gt; wrote:
>>
>> &gt; i have a text as follows.
>> &gt;
>> &gt; apple  banana
>> &gt; cat   dog
>> &gt; elephant fan
>> &gt; goat hen
>> &gt;
>> &gt; i want to make the above text aligned as follows.
>> &gt;
>> &gt; apple      banana
>> &gt; cat         dog
>> &gt; elephant fan
>> &gt; goat       hen
>> &gt;
>> &gt; is there any simple technique without doing to manually.
>>
>> See if http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#ALIGN helps (in particular, the \tsp mapping).
>>
>> Regards,
>> C Campbell
>>
> hi how can i do align only for the last column.
> meaning if there are n columns first n-1 collumns
> should be treated as one group and the last column should
> be treated as another group.
(Continue reading)

Charlie Kester | 28 May 23:35 2012

Re: align columns

On 05/28/2012 06:33 AM, sinbad wrote:
> i have a text as follows.
>
> apple  banana
> cat   dog
> elephant fan
> goat hen
>
> i want to make the above text aligned as follows.
>
> apple      banana
> cat         dog
> elephant fan
> goat       hen
>
> is there any simple technique without doing to manually.

If you don't want to use the plugin, here's a little utility that does
the job:

http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~kinzler/align/

(Sometimes we get so enamored with vim's plugin model that we forget the
old-school Unix way of doing things with pipes and filters.)