osman ahmed | 14 Jun 11:15 2005
Picon

Re: What is appropriate???

Isn't WinEdt used for Latex? My first query was about
Protext which I hope qualifies for the relevance
criterion?

About the Sty files, since I am learning I am not sure
how clearly divided a lot of the issues are.

I am sure if I put a question on your suggested sites,
about where STY files go in the WinEdt then there will
be someone there too, who will ask me to go to a group
which deals with WinEdt!

Anyway I suggest that there needs to be a group for
Newbies to help them with the initial teething
problems
with both WinEdt and Latex IF this group has a
problem. Perhaps there already is such a group so if
you can point me in the direction I can make my way
there..

Thanks to everyone for the "kick start" with Protext
suggestion.

Peace!

Osman

--- Raistlin Magere <rmagere <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> osman ahmed wrote:
(Continue reading)

Alan Ristow | 14 Jun 14:57 2005
Picon

Re: What is appropriate???

osman ahmed wrote:
> Isn't WinEdt used for Latex? My first query was about
> Protext which I hope qualifies for the relevance
> criterion?

While LaTeX editing is by far the most common use of WinEdt, WinEdt
itself is nothing more than a text editor. You can use it to write
computer programs, text files, and anything else you might use a text
editor for. For that matter, any text editor may be used for LaTeX --
even Notepad, Wordpad, and Microsoft Word.

> About the Sty files, since I am learning I am not sure
> how clearly divided a lot of the issues are.

In general the issues are very clearly divided. Basically, if you can
find it in a LaTeX book or tutorial, it has nothing to do with WinEdt.
Since .sty files are a critical part of LaTeX, you will find them in
LaTeX books and tutorials. Using this rule of thumb you would correctly
deduce that they have nothing to do with WinEdt.

WinEdt can call LaTeX for you, but beyond that, there is no interaction
between the two programs.

> I am sure if I put a question on your suggested sites,
> about where STY files go in the WinEdt then there will
> be someone there too, who will ask me to go to a group
> which deals with WinEdt!

Since .sty files are part of LaTeX, there is nowhere to put them in
WinEdt. On the other hand, it is critical that LaTeX knows where the
(Continue reading)

Pétiard François | 14 Jun 15:26 2005
Picon

Re: What is appropriate???

A 08:57 14/06/2005 -0400, Alan Ristow a écrit :
>Where to put .sty files is a regular topic on comp.text.tex. For an answer
>to your question, I suggest searching the newsgroup using
>groups-beta.google.com. Even better, I'm pretty sure your question is in
>the FAQ -- see http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?introduction=yes.
>
>Alan

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=instpackages

F. Pétiard

--
francois.petiard <at> univ-fcomte.fr

osman ahmed | 14 Jun 17:43 2005
Picon

Re: What is appropriate???

Thanks Alan, Petiard,  for a brief tutorial of what is
what!

Regards,
Osman
--- Pétiard François <francois.petiard <at> univ-fcomte.fr>