Aileen Sheedy | 17 Oct 15:27 2011
Picon

Neil Gaiman on Piracy + 4chan Graphic Novel Piracy

While I was doing the reading for today, I thought of this video in which Neil Gaiman explains that piracy actually helps book sales:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qkyt1wXNlI.

Also, a story I followed a while ago about an indie comic, "Underground," which is being given away for free after one of the creators had a discussion with people who were posting scans on 4chan:
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/10/19/underground-artist-steve-lieber-wins-over-4chan-with-love-and/
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/10/22/underground-4chan-steve-lieber-sales-pirated-scans/
http://www.undergroundthecomic.com/2010/10/whole-book-for-free-or-learning-something-from-4chan/

tl;dr: Neil Gaiman is awesome, and everyone wins if you give your stuff away.

~ Aileen

    While I was doing the reading for today, I thought of this video in
    Also, a story I followed a while ago about an indie comic,
    "Underground," which is being given away for free after one of the
    creators had a discussion with people who were posting scans on
    tl;dr: Neil Gaiman is awesome, and everyone wins if you give your
    stuff away.<br><br>
    ~ Aileen<br><br>
Luis Ibanez | 18 Oct 03:22 2011

Re: Neil Gaiman on Piracy + 4chan Graphic Novel Piracy

Hi Aileen,

This is very interesting.
Thanks for sharing it with us.

This is what Cory Doctorow's has been referring
to when he repeats Tim O'Reilly statement:

"The big problem isn't piracy, it's obscurity"
http://radar.oreilly.com/2006/08/piracy-is-progressive-taxation.html

Doctorow's is one of the progressive authors
who sees ebooks as a natural marketing tool

http://craphound.com/littlebrother/about/
http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/cory-doctorow-it-is-impossible-to-monetize-obscurity_b11775

It is also worth noting Neil Gaiman's point about the
fact that we discover books through recommendations
from friends, family and colleges.

    Luis

---------------------------
On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Aileen Sheedy <sheeda <at> rpi.edu> wrote:
> While I was doing the reading for today, I thought of this video in which
> Neil Gaiman explains that piracy actually helps book sales:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qkyt1wXNlI.
>
> Also, a story I followed a while ago about an indie comic, "Underground,"
> which is being given away for free after one of the creators had a
> discussion with people who were posting scans on 4chan:
> http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/10/19/underground-artist-steve-lieber-wins-over-4chan-with-love-and/
> http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/10/22/underground-4chan-steve-lieber-sales-pirated-scans/
> http://www.undergroundthecomic.com/2010/10/whole-book-for-free-or-learning-something-from-4chan/
>
> tl;dr: Neil Gaiman is awesome, and everyone wins if you give your stuff
> away.
>
> ~ Aileen

François Bertel | 18 Oct 07:18 2011
Picon

Re: Neil Gaiman on Piracy + 4chan Graphic Novel Piracy

Talking about Cory Doctorow, he was a keynote speaker at Siggraph
2011. Here is the 45 min video (30 min speech+15 min Q&A) and the full
transcript of his speech:

http://rhizome.org/editorial/2011/aug/12/cory-doctorows-siggraph-2011-keynote/

and a short bio on Siggraph website:
http://www.siggraph.org/s2011/for_attendees/keynote-speaker