McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] | 23 Apr 23:43 2012

U of Minnesota Opens Up to Open Source Textbooks > Plus

*** Spoiler Alert > Possible Duplicate Posting ***

Colleagues/

Recent additions to the _DT > Digital Textbooks_ blog:

> U of Minnesota Opens Up to Open Source Textbooks

> Van Schaik Intros e-Textbooks

> College Faculty Continue their Love Affair with Print Textbooks, Says New BISG Study

> The Digital Curriculum Part 1… Textbook To Flexbook… Free, Open Source, Engaging

> Understanding Acceptance of Dedicated E-textbook Applications for Learning: Involving Taiwanese University Students

> Briefing Paper > ETextbooks Update > Macquarie University Library Committee

Enjoy !

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
and
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University
152 Parks Library
Ames IA 50011

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2012-04-23

Kelly Zhu | 9 May 20:59 2012

login issue

I guess your libraries have implemented one-login for all your library services, such as ILS, ILL, EzProxy, etc. I wonder how you have done it.

Recently, I am assigned a thorny task: to find a solution to unify the logins.  At our library, ILS is Voyager on Oracle.  It was tried in the past to connect to the university LDAP service without success; the same with ILL ILLIAD server.  So, each has its own login.

I would like someone to point me to a right direction, or your successful experience, etc.  Any help appreciated.

Kelly Zhu
Web Services Librarian
Chambers Library
University of Central Oklahoma
405-974-5957

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2012-05-09

Amanda Powers | 9 May 23:29 2012
Picon

Deadline Extended - Call for Proposals - MSU Libraries eResource and Emerging Technologies Summit

***Apologies for the cross-post!***

Call for Proposals

  -- MSU Libraries eResource and Emerging Technologies Summit

http://library.msstate.edu/msuleets

The 2012 MSU Libraries eResource and Emerging Technologies Summit (MSU-LEETS) programming committee has extended its deadline to May 18th for accepting proposals for Steal-this-Idea speakers and poster sessions. The Steal-this-Idea talks will be 45 minutes to one hour in length, including time for discussion. Applicants are encouraged to submit proposals that share their own experiences in working with eResources and/or applying social media and emerging technologies in academic libraries. Potential topics include, but are not restricted to:

eResources:

--the impact of eResources on technical services

--managing eResources (P vs E)

--ERMS implementation and use

--institutional repositories

--managing multiple URLs in an OPAC

--licensing and access issues in a consortium

--eBook acquisition and workflow

Emerging Technologies:

--tablets and/or mobile applications in an academic environment

--eBooks and e-readers

--social media applications

--cloud computing

--campus outreach

--augmented reality

--assessment strategies

Please submit 150-200 word proposals for Steal-this-Idea or poster sessions (Emerging Technologies only) by filling out the application located here: http://library.msstate.edu/msuleets. Proposals must be received by May 18th, 2012 in order to be considered.

Please forward this email to anyone you think would be interested. For ongoing updates Like us on Facebook (http://facebook.com/msuleets) or follow us on Twitter (http://twitter.com/msu_ets). Find more information about the Summit at our website http://library.msstate.edu/msuleets.

Thanks!

The MSU LEETS Programming Committee

Contact information for MSU LEETS Co-Chairs:  Amanda Clay Powers (apowers-pJ6Lu2hYgziN1MajvKUOfZVzexx5G7lz@public.gmane.org) and June Garner (jgarner <at> library.msstate.edu)

Amanda Clay Powers, MLIS | Mississippi State University | Assistant Professor | Ag & Life Sciences Librarian |
Interim Business Librarian | Extension Librarian | Virtual Reference Project Manager| http://library.msstate.edu/amandaclaypowers | <at> amandaclay | acp120