Jim Tittsler | 26 Apr 04:09 2012

WikiEducator Office Hours

Three months ago I set up a BigBlueButton web conferencing server for the use of the OER university partners.  This server will be closing down soon, but before it goes I thought it would be interesting to try holding this week's WikiEducator Office Hours in this older style "webinar" tool instead of our usual Google+ Hangout.  So this week only stop by http://discuss.OERfoundation.org/ from 2100UTC Thursday (1700 US EST Thursday, 0900 NZST Friday) if you have questions about the mechanics of using WikiEducator or want to collaboratively explore different solutions to problems you are facing in the wiki. These small, very informal sessions are a real-time supplement to our many mailing lists and in-wiki discussions.

Jim
OER Foundation tech

P.S.  If you are looking for additional channels for getting help using WikiEducator, don't forget you will often find one or two of us in the web chat (also known as the irc.freenode.net #wikieducator channel) that appears in the navigation bar of the wiki.  Activity is sporadic, so if you drop in and pose a question, wait a few minutes for someone to notice and find time to reply.  (The regulars lately have been from NZ and Australia, so keep the time of day in mind as well. ;-)

--
Jim Tittsler                 Te Anau, NZ
 http://OERfoundation.org/

simonfj | 28 Apr 00:44 2012
Picon

Re: WikiEducator Office Hours

Hi Jim,

Really sorry I hadn't realized you had set BBB as a webinar tool. Should have known you'd be beavering away at somethng like this. It really is hard to get into the habits of the "real time" world. Or getting used to the idea of having a regular place to have a chat every day/week/month.

I guess the problem (with me at least) is, even though it's really nice to have a chat with some PLU's, that I don't want to waste everyones time with a bunch of stuff which is of no interest to them. Ultimately what I think we all want is a place where we can just do a bit of regular synchronized surfing. Yu know, this is "what i'm doing/who I'm talking to". And maybe record, stream and archive; next to/aligned with the asynchronous 'talk'.

WE're coming down to this with a few NRENs and their associations (terena, Internet2, etc), where my geekish friends are trying to get in the social mood and habit. It's a stupidity that while they/we talk about the tools for other communities, they(I) don't use them themselves. E.g. (on a recent private mail message.

"It's not the technology, it's the stupid stupid details like the bloody remote control delivered with H323 units (how on earth did they get away with *that* for over 15 years?) or the licensing in the web conferencing market.  Or the firewall-rulesets deployed by over-zealous security people".

There is a change in the air now. The recession in Europe has them thinking about using this stuff rather than (just) getting on a plane and doing the F2F with the usual suspects. And more importantly, acting as a broker/buyer on behalf of communities like WE who span NRENs. They're certainly getting past the point of believing that this kind of virtual room is affordable.

So I'd really like to get some idea of WE members ideal virtual meeting room (and its spec). Can you (or anyone) point us at your ideal VR. and give us an idea of the kind of functionality which you'd want as a "community manager".

That said. I know WE's primary objective is to make (edu) credentials affordable. But we do seem missing the fact that there are jobs going begging at the moment, and we have neither the tools or curricula to fill them. Bit of a catch 22, eh? What comes first; the tools or the curricula for them?